• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet put out to pasture

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
So, my helmet reached the ripe old age of 5 years, and I realized it was time to put it out to pasture. The new one has arrived, and has taken the old one's place. But, I find there's a bit of sadness as my trusty old helmet is put aside. It's broken in and a bit more comfortable than the new one, but I know the new one will become just as comfortable once it gets broken.

So, what do others do with their trusty old helmets.

I saved my old helmet as a spare. If something happens to my newer one, I have a back up until I can replace or repair. I also have it in case we happen to have a non-rider going out with us as a passenger.

I realize they need replacing for good reason but is this wrong to do?

Yup, lined up on the shelf in the basement. Some are still usable as spares (not too old and never dropped, just changed because the fit wasn't comfortable for all-day riding.) The one that I did a faceplant while wearing is kept as a cautionary tale.

I do know someone who drills holes in them, then hangs them as planters.

I have three retired Shoei helmets lined up on a high shelf in my garage. All are in the black Shoei bags that came with them. The most recent would my back-up, but I've never needed it. The only one I don't have is my old Bell full face from the 80s. That one died in a wreck: cracked and scratched all to hell. It saved me from facial reconstructive surgery and may have saved my life. I wish I'd have kept it as a conversation piece.

I know what you mean about the fit. My Shoei X-11 will hit five years next spring, but last year I replaced the cheek pads because the old ones were literally falling apart. I got the stock size pads and was amazed at how much thicker they were than the old ones. It was noticeable just visually, but the fit was amazingly more snug. It took a while to get used to it. Its good deal, though, because for $50 I bought two more years of life out of an expensive lid.

Last edited:
I'm not sentimental. They get tossed out with the rest of the trash..

I'm not sure about that. I remember reading an article in either cycle world or rider saying that after 5 years the helmets should be replaced as both the outer shell and pads have deteriorated past the point of safely performing in an impact. A weakened outer shell with new padding may not do as much as you hope. A few hundred may be much better insurance to protect yourself. JMHO :dunno

Bob

I'm not sure about that. I remember reading an article in either cycle world or rider saying that after 5 years the helmets should be replaced as both the outer shell and pads have deteriorated past the point of safely performing in an impact. A weakened outer shell with new padding may not do as much as you hope. A few hundred may be much better insurance to protect yourself. JMHO :dunno

Bob
You're right. But as I said, I replaced the pads last year when the helmet was only three years old. It won't hit five years old until next spring. So, I got two more years of service from my helmet for only $50. In April of 2011, at five years old, it'll be retired and replaced.

I'm not sentimental. They get tossed out with the rest of the trash..

I'm not sentimental either, but I have a problem with sending something like a helmet to the landfill site. It isn't particularly biodegradable. That's why I like the planter idea. Stuff some petunias in them and hang them from hooks on my front porch.

Thanks for the replies. I do plan on keeping the old one as a temporary back up in case something does happen to the new one.

Just to cause trouble

Has anyone ever heard of Snell or DOT (or anyone else) putting a 5+ year old helmet through the impact tests. I do replace my helmets at 5 years but I have never seen any actual test data. I've always wondered??????? FWIW I have read the full DOT and Snell test protocols. :bikes

I'm going to have to go back and do a search. I'm sure either Rider or Cycle World did that exact test on older helmets within the last couple of years. If I find it I'll post it.

Bob

That would be way cool!! I've always had the hair standing up on the back of my neck to the tune of about $500 per toss. I wear a Shoei X11 and I love it. But ......

Just after I a trashed a few old helmets, after cutting the straps off, I read of a great idea. See if your local EMS, fire dept. or hospital ER would like them for training purposes. Someday the motorcycle crash victim they have to remove a helmet from could be you and it would be nice to know that they knew how to do it properly.

:drink

Just after I a trashed a few old helmets, after cutting the straps off, I read of a great idea. See if your local EMS, fire dept. or hospital ER would like them for training purposes. Someday the motorcycle crash victim they have to remove a helmet from could be you and it would be nice to know that they knew how to do it properly.

:drink

If your local ER/EMS personnel aren't bright enough to know how to remove a motorcycle helmet without training, I'd move from the area. Two D rings and a nylon strap shouldn't be any more of a challenge than loosening the belt on a patient's trousers. That said, the fact of the matter is, they're simply going to cut the strap. I spent a lot of time at accident scenes and hospital ERs during my career and, in my experience, those people are very capable and they're definitely not shy about using those blunt-nosed scissors they all carry. :)

If your local ER/EMS personnel aren't bright enough to know how to remove a motorcycle helmet without training, I'd move from the area. Two D rings and a nylon strap shouldn't be any more of a challenge than loosening the belt on a patient's trousers. That said, the fact of the matter is, they're simply going to cut the strap. I spent a lot of time at accident scenes and hospital ERs during my career and, in my experience, those people are very capable and they're definitely not shy about using those blunt-nosed scissors they all carry. :)

Is that the proper way to do it? I don't know, but if I had a neck or spine injury I'm not sure I want someone just pulling my helmet off!

Yeah it's not them getting through the strap I'd worry about as much as how they pull the thing off my head.

I like Holly's idea- and I've got a helmet has has served very well and is due for replacement later this year. The cool part (pun maybe slightly intended) is that it's already got lots of vents in the shell so I don't have to drill holes. :laugh

Back