• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New BMW RT Comfort Seat

Motorwerk

BMW has a new one-piece, heated only comfort seat available. It is supposed to fit 2005-2010 RT's but I would verify to be sure.

Slightly lower than the standard.

Standard seat height: 820/840 mm
Comfort seat height: 785 mm

It's also a bit wider than the standard seat.

r1200rtcomfortseat.jpg

More info here - http://www.barrierobsonmotorcycles.co.uk/view.asp?ID=9

I Picked up my comfort seat for my 09' RT yesterday, took about a week to get it. It installs in about 10 min. You remove the front adjuster and the frame seat mounts. Fits the 09' perfectly, looks great, not adjustable. As for the seat height, with my 29" inseam, its no worse then the standard low seat, maybe slightly better. First impression is I feel a little closer to the handle bars, wider in back (I need that) and its noticeably firmer. I should be able to spend some time on it next week. I'll let you know how it go's.

Bill

oh come on! Now another thing that I need. Tank bag, GPS, top case, now this. It wll never end

Post after a day in the saddle

I'b be interested to hear your impressions of the comfort after spending a day in the saddle.

Naturally, I just got a Russell Day-Long Saddle so I'm probably not going to get one anyway, but I'd be curious to hear some user reviews. My Russell ended up being $665 with shipping and everything. It raises me up about and inch, inch and a half.

Thanks, Don

I didn't see anything to indicate that this is a "BMW" seat...it appears to be a seat "for a BMW" that's being offered by this British dealer. Also, will there be a standard-height (or even adjustable) version for those of us with longer legs?

Note that Corbin has quickly marketed a competing seat. It seems price-competitive and might be more comfortable! Here's the link.

One more remark about the price. In England it's 366 pounds, including VAT. That turns out to be $553, and that includes tax. Without tax (which they would not charge to a US buyer) the price is likely about $500. It seems like the US dealers may be overcharging....

I inquired locally (Alberta) and my dealer said they do not have access to this seat.

I didn't see anything to indicate that this is a "BMW" seat...it appears to be a seat "for a BMW" that's being offered by this British dealer. Also, will there be a standard-height (or even adjustable) version for those of us with longer legs?

Here's the BMW part no. - 77347708878

My dealer was surprised as well but was able to find them available in the US.

The seat is not height adjustable and requires the existing mounts to be removed.

(In my best m&m's voice; "They really do exist""
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsByPartNumber.aspx?parts=77%2034%207%20708%20878%20

I got some seat time with the new comfort seat today. Put on about 260mi, about 140 before I took a break.

For some perspective, I'm 5'9'', 225 lbs, 29" inseam. I'm 61, so a little creakier than I used to be.

The bike came with the 2 piece low seat, I knew that wasn't going to work after the first day. I was also considering the new Corbin low seat since I have a Corbin on my K75RT.
My dealer sold me the comfort seat for a couple bucks less then the Corbin, and said I could return it if I didn't like it, so I tried the BMW seat first. I'm not giving it back.

The seat is noticeably wider in the back and the foam is firmer then the standard seat. The first thing I noticed while riding, was that the contour and small built in backrest forced me closer to the tank and handlebars then I'm used to. I didn't like this at first, but as the day wore on, I got used to it, and I didn't get the stiffness between my shoulder blades that usually sets in after a couple hundred miles. I also noticed that the foam didn't compress into a brick like the original seat, while at the same time it didn't seam as hard as my Corbin (but that's 19 years old). Earlier, I said that I thought I could get my feet down a little better, but after a day of riding with boots on, I have to say there's no difference.

I can't say there's no butt fatigue, but for me, it's WAY better then the seat that came on the bike, and IMO its more comfortable then the Corbin on the K75. For me, the big drawback is that it seems confining, with little room to move back and forth.

Bill

I got some seat time with the new comfort seat today. Put on about 260mi, about 140 before I took a break.

For some perspective, I'm 5'9'', 225 lbs, 29" inseam. I'm 61, so a little creakier than I used to be.

The bike came with the 2 piece low seat, I knew that wasn't going to work after the first day. I was also considering the new Corbin low seat since I have a Corbin on my K75RT.
My dealer sold me the comfort seat for a couple bucks less then the Corbin, and said I could return it if I didn't like it, so I tried the BMW seat first. I'm not giving it back.

The seat is noticeably wider in the back and the foam is firmer then the standard seat. The first thing I noticed while riding, was that the contour and small built in backrest forced me closer to the tank and handlebars then I'm used to. I didn't like this at first, but as the day wore on, I got used to it, and I didn't get the stiffness between my shoulder blades that usually sets in after a couple hundred miles. I also noticed that the foam didn't compress into a brick like the original seat, while at the same time it didn't seam as hard as my Corbin (but that's 19 years old). Earlier, I said that I thought I could get my feet down a little better, but after a day of riding with boots on, I have to say there's no difference.

I can't say there's no butt fatigue, but for me, it's WAY better then the seat that came on the bike, and IMO its more comfortable then the Corbin on the K75. For me, the big drawback is that it seems confining, with little room to move back and forth.

Bill

So, Bill, just to be sure, the new seat turns out to NOT be lower for you than the stock low seat?

I ask because I have had a custom rider's seat made on my low seat pan (and I also purchased a Corbin's Smuggler's box for when I ride solo -- otherwise I use the stock passenger seat). I would be willing to sacrifice both if I could make my bike low enough to flat-foot (29 inch inseam). But I don't need it for comfort, I have my custom rider's seat already. So your test ride is crucial for me. Just want to make sure I understood the verdict.

That is correct, I noticed no difference in terms of being able to get my feet flat on the ground between the two piece low seat and the comfort seat.

Bill

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

BMW did equip bikes with comfort seats in the past and they were made by ... Corbin!

Then some kind of imbroglio came along and the practice ended.

Can someone message me when they make these seats for tall people??

Though if it entails removing the current seat mounts, this may correct the seat problem I currently have.. maybe an in warranty replacement?

Back