• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R75/5 Battery

Polarbear

Polarbear
I found a good one;

"Deka" Batteries, has one for my R100/7, same as your /5 battery I'm pretty sure. Its a non maintanence battery(my first for this bike) and I'm very happy its also about a quarter inch narrower(side to side) and fits really easy down in the frame from the top. You may know already the fit from the topside is very tight, with a stock battery. This Deka battery slides in nicely and has even more cranking amps.. I'm sorry I just looked at mine and cannot see the model number on it in the bike, but Deka has dealers all across the USA, I'm sure. I went and looked again, FOUND IT; Part#ETX30L by Deka Batteries. A much better fit than factory issue:)....Randy:usa

deka battery

Not sure if you have Fleet Farm stores in ND or not. The Motorcycle batteries they sell there are store branded Deka batteries. The part number is the same. When they go on sale, which usually happens twice this time of year, they are really a good deal. I purchased one last spring and have been happy so far.
Steven Handeland
MN r60/6

Hi, Krommenoek,
I can't help you with your battery question. Take the advice you have received in this thread with a grain of salt. If I look at all the bikes listed, I see a /6 and a /7, but not a /5. The /5 uses a smaller battery than the later bikes, so what fits on a /6 or /7 is probably too big to fit in the /5 battery box. When it left the factory, the /5 had (probably) a Varta 20 a/h battery; the /6 and /7 had Varta 28a/h batteries.

Hi, Krommenoek,
I can't help you with your battery question. Take the advice you have received in this thread with a grain of salt. If I look at all the bikes listed, I see a /6 and a /7, but not a /5. The /5 uses a smaller battery than the later bikes, so what fits on a /6 or /7 is probably too big to fit in the /5 battery box. When it left the factory, the /5 had (probably) a Varta 20 a/h battery; the /6 and /7 had Varta 28a/h batteries.

Come on Marvin. Get with the program.

The PC680 that I have installed in my R-90 works just fine and allows for a cut down battery box. Otherwise a spacer works quite well.

If you want to color inside the lines, go stock. If you want a better, lighter, longer lasting battery that dosnt need a lot of maintenance, buy an Odyssey.

Hi, Mymindsok,
Excuse me, pardon me for living! You answer however you want, but don't tell ME to "get with the program". I've only been riding BMW bikes since 1977, so obviously I don't know what I'm talking about, even though I DO know that, stock, the /5 uses a different battery than the /6 or /7. And since the people who answered the question listed /6 and /7 bikes, I wanted to make sure Krommenoek knows that, stock, he can't fit the same size battery in his /5 which comes stock on the later airheads.

Odessy battery

I ordered an Odessy battery online last year from Battery Mart in West Virgina and it was delivered to northern Minnesota in about 3-4 days. Good price. Excellent battery. Would not hesitate to deal with them again.

Hi, Mymindsok,
Excuse me, pardon me for living! You answer however you want, but don't tell ME to "get with the program". I've only been riding BMW bikes since 1977, so obviously I don't know what I'm talking about, even though I DO know that, stock, the /5 uses a different battery than the /6 or /7. And since the people who answered the question listed /6 and /7 bikes, I wanted to make sure Krommenoek knows that, stock, he can't fit the same size battery in his /5 which comes stock on the later airheads.

My point is that the little odyssey PC680 (And I was specific.) will work for ALL of those bikes just fine. The small amount of saved weight and cleaning up the bikes appearance are a free bonus.

My PO installed a WalMart Ever Start ES 16B battery.

While the terminals are reversed there was enough positive lead to accept it with no problem, it's a 16 amp so plenty of reserve. I did have to switch the negative ground to a bolt on the left rear of the tranny case. If it was my choice I would have put in an Odyssey, but they are also getting REALLY expensive.... probably double what he paid.

I do know that Ever Start batteries for cars have gotten the best reviews of all brands not too long ago in Consumer Reports. Don't know if this carries over to their smaller batteries or not.

The Ever Start fit with plenty of room to spare using the OEM fitment bracket and plastic nuts in my 79 R80.

Got you beat in time:)

1972 was my first BMW, a /5, just like the one in question and today I still have my R100/7. The amp hours is of NO issue and a higher amp battery is fine to use. The batteries are the same size, as I looked back at my books regarding the battery box. Go figure. Yes, the amp hour thing is different, but who cares about amp hours? The higher amp hours is always a better battery. Anyhow, no fighting, just a long long time BMW guy here too at 38 years and running:):):)Randy:usa PS; That 75/5 I owned was one of the best ever BMWs I ever had:), Soooooo smooth a runner, probably the smoothest twin ever built by BMW.

If your /5 is a Long Wheel Base model, the battery carrier can be re-configured to allow enough space for a larger battery.

Well, I couldn't find anything locally, so I went ahead and ordered the Odyssey. It should be here by the end of the week, hopefully.

Thanks everyone for the advice and opinions.

Wal Mart

Got a Wal-Mart battery for my /5 a year and a half ago and hadn't missed a lick. Kept it on trickle charger this winter.

:usa

Back