• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Corbin seat or BMW comfort seat?

SeabeckS

My feedback may not be totally relevant, as my experience has been on a variety of bikes that were/are unlike your's.

Have owned Sargent seats on a R1150R, the R came with the BMW comfort seat.
Corbin seats on a Suzuki 1000, and on two Ducatis.
Currently have a Rick Mayer custom seat on an R1100S.

If you're looking for a comfier seat it's probably not going to be a Corbin, I liked the ones I owned, but they were VERY firm and took about 2000 miles of riding to break in. Mine were well made and durable, but pretty darned heavy in comparison to the stock seats...

The Sargent was far superior to the BMW Comfort seat, the Comfort seat is a bit higher/thicker, and if inseam is a bit tight it's not a very good solution. The Sargent was somewhat lower, had more support, and was more comfortable for me.

The Rick Mayer seat is perfection on my S, but to get it done right I had to visit his shop for a custom fitting. He made it to suit my preferred riding positions and it couldn't have turned out better. The obvious caveat is the shop visit, relatively easy for me, but not so easy for others. But Rick does know BMW's and the custom seat biz. At the time I was there he also had a customer from the east coast who'd had his highly modified Suzuki DR400 shipped out. Rick's work on that dual purpose bike was pretty cool.

So, if you can't get a custom seat from one of the Mayer's, or a Russell, guess my vote for a more comfy ride is the Sargent option...

I'm sure other opinions will surface soon! :lurk

Cheers! Bill J

I wouldn't buy either of the seats you listed. The comfort seat really isn't, and I have made the Corbin mistake enough times that I have finally learned. Never again!

I did buy a Sargent for my 09 F650GS. And it I would buy again in a heartbeat.

seats

Hi, I have tried Corbin seats, I tried the comfort seat from BMW, I had the comfort seat re-built by Psyco Seats in El Paso. jell in center and under the butt, covered in sheared sheep skin. I finally went to Russel for a DayLong Saddle. This on an R1100RT. Nothing compared to the Russel for all day comfort. I think the Rick Myer saddle is similar to the DayLong saddle. You often get what you pay for and the Russel was about $700. I would never go to the BMW comfort seat again, it was no better than the original seat, possibly worse. I do know that the sheep skin was good. Cool in summer and warm in winter, but the jell was not the way to go. It was a good looking saddle and much better than the BMW saddles. It was a good saddle or the bike had to go. Craig in NM

Last edited:
The Russell seats have a sterling reputation that is well deserved. Some however find the appearance (sort of like a tractor seat) not all that attractive. Of course it's pretty hard to see it with your backside in the saddle!

FWIW, the Mayer boys are half brothers, both Rick and Bill (Rocky) learned the trade from their dad, who invented the Russell seat. I've heard good things about all of their products. But hey, from Eugene you're a lot closer to Rick's shop near Redding than I am...and it was well worth the ride. Rick is a former Iron Butt rider, and pilots a Beemer...if that makes any difference to you.

That being said, those Sargent seats are a big improvement over the stock units.

Good luck!

Bill J

I have owned several Corbin seats, most recently on my 2007 F650GS, and I've been very satisfied, but I have a Sargent on my 2009 F650GST and think it's great. Bought it because I have a Sargent on my 1998 K1200RS. These seats go the distance. I can not understand why BMW cannot make a comfortable stock seat. The most comfortable stock seat I have ever had from BMW was the Pagusa seat on my 1951
R25.

Kahedo

We always use Kahedo comfort seats on longer rides. They are available from Touratech and are really nice. They have seen us through three Trans Americas Rides ('05 '07 '09) and are staying on the bikes for London to Beijing. Will be 49,000 miles in 12 months.

Before themn we used air hawks. Not as pretty but a very cost effective solution as well?

looks like I'll go to Redding!

The Russell seats have a sterling reputation that is well deserved. Some however find the appearance (sort of like a tractor seat) not all that attractive. Of course it's pretty hard to see it with your backside in the saddle!

FWIW, the Mayer boys are half brothers, both Rick and Bill (Rocky) learned the trade from their dad, who invented the Russell seat. I've heard good things about all of their products. But hey, from Eugene you're a lot closer to Rick's shop near Redding than I am...and it was well worth the ride. Rick is a former Iron Butt rider, and pilots a Beemer...if that makes any difference to you.

That being said, those Sargent seats are a big improvement over the stock units.

Good luck!

Bill J

I'll plan a trip to Redding this summer and get a custom seat done. Thanks Bill.

my Russell Daylong may be ugly, but it is the best seat I've ever owned. do you want to ride, or stand around and look at your seat? :dunno

Just ordered a BMW comfort seat today. I hope I am not disapointed. I ordered it with the understanding that I could return it if not satisfied. (F650GST)

Does anyone with the 800/650 have the comfort seat and are you happy with it?

JacK

my Russell Daylong may be ugly, but it is the best seat I've ever owned. do you want to ride, or stand around and look at your seat? :dunno

Amen! To each his own... :lurk

Weird here today...it's snowing. And I thought April Fool's was yesterday.

Cheers! Bill J

I'll plan a trip to Redding this summer and get a custom seat done. Thanks Bill.

You're most welcome...maybe you can get lucky and buy one when he's having a sale....my seat (which is shown on his website) was half price. The shop is a bit tricky to find out in the hinterlands SW of Redding, so make sure you have a map printed out.

Cheers! Bill J

will check for sales then..

You're most welcome...maybe you can get lucky and buy one when he's having a sale....my seat (which is shown on his website) was half price. The shop is a bit tricky to find out in the hinterlands SW of Redding, so make sure you have a map printed out.

Cheers! Bill J

and it'll be a good excuse for a nice long ride down south and back

Clever thinking!

Hmm, there must be some farkle that's only available somewhere along the Pacific Coast highway in California. I just need to figure out what/where it is so I can tell my wife before I head out. :whistle

Cheers, Bill J

Just put on the new BMW comfort seat for the 650/800 GS twins but have not had a chance to ride on it yet. It looks good and wide for both the passenger and rider. Cost plus shipping was $368. I think list is some where around $450.

Jack

Just put on the new BMW comfort seat for the 650/800 GS twins but have not had a chance to ride on it yet. It looks good and wide for both the passenger and rider. Cost plus shipping was $368. I think list is some where around $450.

Jack

Jack, I'm really eager to hear your input on it - get out and ride man!

Norm

Back