• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Underinsured Insurance

greenwald

It is necessary regardless of your health insurance policy. Health doesn't pay for pain and suffering, permanent injuries (paralyzis, missing limbs, blindness, etc) or other related expenses to make you whole again. You don't have to sue anyone else. Your uninsured motorist carrier pays you for your loss and the insurance company sues to recover their loss.

Exactly!

It's because "suing someone without insurance is a waste of time and money," as Tom Barnhart pointed out, that I carry generous Uninsured Motorist Coverage.

Ride Safe This Spring! :german

Exactly!

It's because "suing someone without insurance is a waste of time and money," as Tom Barnhart pointed out, that I carry generous Uninsured Motorist Coverage.

Ride Safe This Spring! :german

If you have UM coverage and you can't come to an agreement on your damages, you can sue the insurance company instead of the guilty and un-underinsured at fault party. Your insurance company replaces the other party as if they insured them.

Here in Cali, where there are so many uninsures Illegals driving around, I keep all of my insurance maxed out.

Yes, it costs me some extra $$$ but I can still sleep at night!

Exactly the point. There are at least 12 million illegals here due to greed of employers for lowest possible wage labor and close to zero border enforcment for years. Coupled with lax ID laws that gave state IDs (drivers licenses) to many until recent changes took effect so there is a large population that can pass as legal.
Take a look around. Maybe not true in parts of TX or CA but here in NC, if someone doesn't look like they're born here, they are illegals with 80% probability. No drivers license for half or so and no insurance for most.
Not that they're the only ones who can get you- kids texting and on cell phones are more dangerous where I live because we have nothing useful for training new drivers and parents who can afford to do so usually buy their 16 yr old a car. A lot of the illegals have gotten busted in the past few years as locals and law enforcement agencies got fed up with their behavior so they've become more careful. Cops have learned to do routine checks on roads outside certain plants at shift changeover- with the current requirements for Eligible for Employment (immigration stand in) status checks its "90 days and out" at most plants if you can't produce a legit SSID but they just go to the next place.
Yesterday saw a young female next to me texting while driving in stop and go traffic in the busiest area for 50 miles in any direction. Last year saw a gal on cell phone clobber an illegal in a van who was trying to making an illegal U-turn across the median on an interstate where a sign specifically warned against it. Of course, the illegal couldn't read English and many are illiterate even in Spanish. I thought those two deserved each other.
Plenty of reasons to keep your insurance adequate but more importantly, stay vigilant. $ are a serously inadequate replacement for body parts...

How much is enough?

Thanks for the thoughtful topic. If you're like me, thinking about insurance is about as much fun as watching paint dry.

However, since this topic is running, I just checked. I have:

BI $50,000 EACH PERSON/$100,000 EACH ACCIDENT
PROPERTY DAMAGE $25,000 EACH ACCIDENT

through Progressive.

Another related question.....what about insurance for towing in case of a breakdown? Is that covered under BMWMOA, or should one get that through their m/c insurance?

Thanks,
piperjim

Thanks for the thoughtful topic. If you're like me, thinking about insurance is about as much fun as watching paint dry.

However, since this topic is running, I just checked. I have:

BI $50,000 EACH PERSON/$100,000 EACH ACCIDENT
PROPERTY DAMAGE $25,000 EACH ACCIDENT

through Progressive.

Another related question.....what about insurance for towing in case of a breakdown? Is that covered under BMWMOA, or should one get that through their m/c insurance?

Thanks,
piperjim

Your liability protects the other party, if you are at fault. The limits you buy protect your assets. So someone who is "judgment proof" with nil assets, has different liability needs than someone with lots to lose. Higher limits are incrementally fairly cheap, so really not something to skimp on if you have the need.

There is a decent towing option on the MOA membership.

Here in Cali, where there are so many uninsures Illegals driving around, I keep all of my insurance maxed out.

Yes, it costs me some extra $$$ but I can still sleep at night!

Yes, the construction boom/bust left us with a plague of illegals here too. When I lived in Los Angeles, in the 1980's illegals were already doing 3/4 of hit and runs. Doubt this has gotten any better.

Vehicles found operated by the uninsured or unlicensed should be seized, and sent straight to the auction, or crusher. Proceeds of this could fund ICE detention for those found worthy.

Back