Thread: Howdy folks!

Loading the Bike
    Day 1 over...report to follow. My clutch/brake fingers are toast

Thanks for the welcome all!

Loading the Bike

Whew! A little late but...

Hands down the best rider training I've ever had - maybe some of the best training I've had period. As most of you know there are training practices and instructor personalities and passion, that make or break ANY training. Ray, Ross, Bill & Billy were all outstanding. I can say that my "toolbox" is loaded now and I just have to get time in the saddle.

Vanmar - Disappointment was a word that never crossed my mind - unless you include the Hyundai I had to get back into after each days class . I can certainly envision myself getting more time with techniques and then repeating training. It's added more craving to my riding appetite.

Haku - I would think anyone would benefit, fit, improve and be challenged by the two days. One recommendation I would make is that you should feel comfortable "riding" similar bikes and maybe even have some saddle time. If you just bought the F800, and never rode before (which might not be the case) OR haven't had decent time to find your way around the bike yet, wait a bit. I think you'd gain more if you came to the class not having to start at "bike or ride basics". You'll know when - and if you're in doubt CALL THEM. They'll steer you right I'm sure. Sounds like the bike is the new part to you and maybe you have decent riding experience. Hands down recommend them when you're ready (which you could be already!)

I learned a ton - VISION, speed control, BRAKING, body position, in terrain like gravel, hills, single track, SAND (Ouch), hill stops (oh to have 2" longer legs..)...I could go on and on (did I say VISION). I had some pretty decent "dirt" bike experience and several years road experience (including 3 pretty intense years with my 1150GSA). It's a different ball game with a 600lb pig. I came away with a ton, knowing for myself I had only scratched the surface of what can be done - endless learning possibilities.

The class ran pretty much like this; Teach/lecture on a skill, instructor demonstration, Q&A, student practice with instructor feedback (which was fantastic!), then the class was divvied up into skill level, followed by an "enduro" ride on their course, which included the prior lessons learned. Repeat as above for the next skill set, and continue to include and ramp up in the following "enduro" rides.

Both days started with warm-ups on the bikes.

Lots of faceplants - but under great supervision and keen attention to safety by the instructors - let's face it, you're on the bike, so there's only so much the school can do..). I loved the feedback DURING the enduro rides - very timely and helpful.

What else? Hmmm. Oh yea. Weather. Don't worry about staying warm - and if it rains, they ride (I'm sure within reason). We hit it in "great" conditions. It had rained pretty well the previous few days and even spit a bit during class. Nice and slick - everything. Rocks, roots, trees, MUDDDDD and dare I say ruts. The first thing I did when I returned for my own bike was to load up on TKC-80's...

I know there's more. My head is still racing a bit and it's been a week! I'd be happy to add further thoughts. One more thing before I let it go - we all spend lots of $$'s on bikes, farkles, and riding gear. Do yourself a favor - get your CC out and just do it already. Unless you're already dialed on these big bikes off-road (or on for that matter) - MAKE the investment. It'll pay off big time and your really investing in your riding.

Bill, Ray, Billy & Russ - I know you're out there. Thanks again.

EDIT: Hey Mod - Typical newbie - if this should have been in ride report or elsewhere, do as you see fit!

Sounds like you had a blast and learned a lot...as I figured you would. Those guys are great aren't they? Say it was muddy huh? ha...ha it was raining all day when we were there in October...I know what you mean when you say...slick! Sand was fun wasn't it? that is where I laid down... a couple times and I even waited until I got to the low end...you know where the standing water was! Glad you had a good experience!
    Vance Harrelson
    2019 Rally Chair
    MOA Foundation Director / Ambassador
    R1200GSA "Buck" / G310GS "Tiny"