• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Girlfriend wants to get into riding

Holly

Amma
Good Lord, Holly, I can't believe you put in a 500 mile day on a 250 Virago! You must be a Superwoman! :clap

The exact opposite, Sharon. I have severe osteoporosis and any heavy lifting, like moving around a bigger bike, could cause my vertebrae to crumble. So I ride a small light bike. I just gave that example to show that you can do highways speeds on a 250. It is also very comfortable and once I am riding I have a problem with stopping....

I let the girlfriend have a read through of this thread. After a couple of "Why did you say that about me?" moments, she got to the responses. She's grateful for all your advice and she's super excited to get started learning and riding. She's very impressed that there are so many awesome female Beamer riders. She especially loved Voni's near million miles, in comparison to her husbands, haha. Anyway, I think next time she's over, I'll have her post any concerns/questions/fears for you guys.

Listen to the Professor!

I think the MSF beginners course is definately the way to go. This will not only give her a good safe understanding of the basics but will also help her determine if this sport really is for her.

mchaven:

I did as Newstar suggested. Before getting my bike I took the class knowing that when finished I could decide if this was for me. Now, there's a chance that your gf won't pass the course. I didn't. My quick stop wasn't quick enough. I had been a passenger for many years and the class was really the first time riding a bike. I went and got my temporary license which allowed me to ride for 1 yr with a licensed rider. That was in July 07. Found my bike in Sept. 07. Rode it a few times in October before putting it in storage for the winter. Started riding again in Spring. Went for my license in June 08 (on a Vespa Scooter) and passed. Been riding solo on my F650 ever since. Riding solo to TN last summer was a huge confidence builder. Now I love being a passenger and riding my own bike.

She'll do just fine once she decides (after taking the class) if she wants to ride.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Another couple of ideas:

After she takes the MSF class, have her buy the "Ride Like a Pro version V" video from www.ridelikeapro.com. It's around $30 and is a great investment. It shows a very petite lady picking up a big police cruiser, instructing others on proper technique.

The rest of the video is basically follow-up exercises from the MSF. I find it very helpful by watching the DVD, then going out and setting up a small practice course at the local elementary school parking lot. It's a great way to hone skills and build confidence. It also comes with a written exercise guide....great for that moment when you get out to the practice course and say, "what was the distance between those little markers (tennis balls cut in half)?:scratch

Good luck
piperjim

Back