• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding with your kids?

lionlady

I remember my first ride as a kid. Loved IT. My kids now want to ride on back and it kinda scares me.
the what if's.

I'm putting it out to the women of the moa because I want the motherly advice
mark

So long as they can reach the pillion pegs with both feet, and follow instructions, sure. But don't be tempted until you've got basic gear for them: a helmet that fits being the most important (dirt bike gear comes in little sizes).

If you start them off "geared up" you'll have no arguments about it later, when you're fixing to go on a "real" ride.

Good luck!

P

Yes, it can be done.

<<<So long as they can reach the pillion pegs with both feet, and follow instructions, sure. But don't be tempted until you've got basic gear for them: a helmet that fits being the most important (dirt bike gear comes in little sizes).>>>

Yes, reaching the pegs is a must for safety and required in many states. My two daughters have ridden with me at times. I got them full gear including leathers and a petite Aerostich. Chcek ebay petite sizes come for sale quite often and because of low demand at good prices. I think I got the Aerostich for $250 in VGC. get gloves, boots helmets (XS) etc. Create a communication method : pinch here means this , there that, etc. Check on them often, believe it or not in a longish ride they can fall sleep.... and ATGATT no matter what.

You will enjoy the experience and their memories.... priceless

Eduardo.

Of course I would ride with my kids if I had any kids of my own.

I rode many of miles as a pillion with my mom on the back of her bike... We attended lots of rallies and I turned into a rally rat!

Photo014.jpg

I couldn't wait till I grew up so I could have a bike of my own...

151849639_goWjo-O.jpg

Of course, need to think about safety but it seems like in today's society not very many people will bring their kids along with them on motorcycle trips and I am so totally against that as the kids are missing out on a lot. I know I would have missed out on a lot if my parents left my brother and me behind!

Those two pictures answer the question better than anything I've ever seen!

Thanks for sharing.

Voni
sMiling

Diann and I both ride, and since we have two daughters, they rode pillion.

The important things are proper gear for the kids, and proper riding techniques for carrying passengers.

Some of my favourite riding memories involve Michelle on the back, singing to herself as we rode secondary roads together.

Don't miss the oportunity to share these moments with your kids........Rod.

From a man.
I rode on the back of my dad from a very young age, my children did the same with me.
My son Matthew went to many rallies with me and loved every minuet, we had all sorts of adventures together. Getting really cold, getting lost, camping, all sorts of things. We rode together for about 10 years. Just before his 19th Birthday, Matthew was murdered! If I had not done the thing I did, and had waited until he was older, I would never have gotten to do those things with him.
Go for it; take your children for a ride, you never know if you will get another chance.
Martin.

Excuse the intrusion, but as a father that lost a son participating in this avocation last fall, I will offer the same advice as above. This is how I answered it on another board.

Those here know the dangers of riding, in fact a few times when others have expressed concern about letting other family members take up this sport, I was always an advocate. In spite of living through what people fear most, I still am. I will say it again, motorcycling was, and still is, one of the threads that bind the fabric of our family. I truly believe that in spite of the recent events, I still am ahead.

Kevin was the eldest, and as children inevitably do, set out to start his own life. Many times contact with the family diminishes greatly, as they forge their own path and pick their way through life, and although this was the case at times, we stayed close because of our shared affection for riding. Kevin had his motorcycle license before his car license, and always loved riding. In his adult life we took numerous day and weekend trips, did several track days together, shared the social aspect of riding with a bunch of people from the area, and of course took our last "Family Vacation" when we all went to Europe to ride in 2004. None of this would have happened without the shared interest in two wheels.

As I reflected and realized that even though he was with us a short time, we squeezed out more than many would in several life times. No, we were not wealthy, but we were frugal and rather than spend money on the material goods, invested in the family. The wife and I both agree, particularly in retrospect, that this was one of the best decisions we made in our lives.

I, my wife and other two sons still plan on riding, will I worry more, yes, but as stated it is a bond we still share. It is not the final page of a great book that defines it and makes it worth reading, it is what fills the space between the first and last pages that is the essence of its existence, life is the same.

I just look at the poor guy in Buffalo last year, sitting at home watching TV when a plane fell out of the sky and killed him. You are never really safe anywhere, so do what pleases you the most.

Thanks for posting Richard - I've met Richard a couple of years ago & shared stories of his life, touring over seas, racing motorcycles & his kids - on our riding tours of VT,NY,NH on our Weak Sauce Tours :thumb
I might offer to all - if Richard might post - what he wrote on another site to you all - Everyone who rides or have ridin with their kids know the feeling & great bond it brings to all.
Martin - We've never met but - Both You & Richard - are great dads - my helmet off to you both & your families :thumb
I hope you both can continue this bond with your grand kids as well.
Richard looking for another Weak Sauce Tour Ride soon !

I have a six year old girl that loves riding with me and loves rallies. (She was the little girl in the picture at the dunk tank at the MOA rally last year.) I just can not go very far because she will fall asleep. We play the poke game if she tells me she is tired. If you do decide to let her ride, BMW kids gear is really cheap now-$75.00 jacket and $75 pants at Grass Roots BMW.

I've got a 5 yo grandson that desperately wants to ride with me. Only the grandson and I think it's a good idea.

I asked my son to make up some attachments so I can put footpegs on the bike that will fit the grandson. I made up a PVC mock-up so he could see what my idea was. My son hasn't made up the attachments yet. I think that's the family's way of saying no.

My state doesn't have a minimum age, and frankly doesn't have a requirement that the passenger reach the footpeg. The footpeg thing is me.

Noel

3 boys

Hi there, my 3 sons grew up riding on the back of my bike, the rule they needed to be able to have gear, helmet that fit and that they reach passenger footpegs before they could ride. They all became rally rats at some point and look back with fond memories. The youngest, then 6 traveled 38 states with me one summer on the back of my R90s. Today, they all ride their own bikes, the 2 older sons have kids of their own, some of who are learning to ride now. The youngest son is a MSF riding instructor. They were taught to ride with gear and do.

Back