• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bike lifts?

basketcase

What's that noise...?
For those of you like me who do your own fluid changes, tire work, etc., what bike lifts are you using for your maintenance chores?

I have debated the differences between a jack type lift, as opposed to a platform lift, and see the merits of both. I am interested in knowing the tipping points of why you chose one over the other.

Thanks in advance,
RM

RickM said:
For those of you like me who do your own fluid changes, tire work, etc., what bike lifts are you using for your maintenance chores?

I have debated the differences between a jack type lift, as opposed to a platform lift, and see the merits of both. I am interested in knowing the tipping points of why you chose one over the other.

Thanks in advance,
RM

I just have a Craftsman roll around stool. It's the right height for most bike work and has a little tray underneath to hold my tools.

I built a big ol' wooden stand but only used it a couple times to work on bikes.

It's sitting in my front yard and I'd be happy to sell it for short money to anyone living here in the Bay Area.

dave

Hmm. I hadn't thought about the roll around angle. I suppose I could jack the bike up on it and then roll it into the corner during the dead of winter. Space utilization, etc. ...

Is the Craftsman a hydralic lift, or is the jacking action a mechanical, sissors arrangement?

One of these days, I'm going to buy a Handy lift. These are the jobs you see in the dealerships and they work GREAT.

id10740.gif

RickM said:
Hmm. I hadn't thought about the roll around angle. I suppose I could jack the bike up on it and then roll it into the corner during the dead of winter. Space utilization, etc. ...

Is the Craftsman a hydralic lift, or is the jacking action a mechanical, sissors arrangement?

It's just a little stool you sit on and roll around on.,

Creeper Stool

00951167000-dv.jpg

Cheap and it doesn't take much room.

I've had a Handy Lift for a very long time and can't imagine working on any of my bikes without one.

KBasa said:
It's just a little stool you sit on and roll around on.,

Creeper Stool

00951167000-dv.jpg

Cheap and it doesn't take much room.

I have an even cheaper, all plastic one from Wally-World($5-10). It is a necessity to work on bikes. I also use a Pit Bull rear stand. At one time I had a stiand like the ones used for dirt bikes, but it doesn't work very well for the F-650, due to tabs for the center stand and side stand (it was hady because you could get both wheels off the groud pretty easy). I have gotten the craftsman atv/motorcycle stand which uses a hydraulic bottle jack and slides right under to lift the bike. It also has a way to use a tie-down to keep the bike from slipping off. It was about $119.

Bike lifts

If anyone out htere has a Handy lift table please give your opinion. Question . Does the lift have a locking device , support to hold it in the air or do you have to keep the air compressor hooked to it. The specs from the mgfr. is that the compressor should be rated at 6.7cfm @ 100psi. My compresson is rated at 7.1.cfm @ 90psi. Does anyone think my compressor will work with the lift?

:) Although I do not own one I have used several in the past, they do have a lock and yes I think your compressor will do the trick, it might just take longer to get it up in the air.
I used a small 3/4 horse nail gun compressor it worked quite well.

Bike lift-->THE Best!

I bought the Bigg Maxx lift about 6 months ago and just love it.

You can see it at this link:

http://www.biggmaxx.com/

Take your time looking at the site...this lift will do everything you want to do on a bike while holding your bike securly.

Good luck!

Steve

Handy Lift

I have the Handy Lift and I love it. I use a small comp for that and small finish carp jobs. It has a lock device that will keep the bike up when not pressurized. It is very stable and easy for me to load/unload. 1150gs and 1800 goldwing. Just remember, always use safety straps. Don't ask me how I know.

Deacon

Bike Lift

I use a basic Cogswell Mark IV anti-gravity platform. They can be had from Cogswell Cosmic Cogs, Box 1, Utopia Planitia, Mars. www.cogswellcosmiccogs.com

Just remember, don't try to lift until the liquid helium hits 450 below zero, as the results would be disastrous.

TB

If a man is not a radical when young, he has no heart. If he is not a conservative when he is old, he doesn't have dementia.

I have used a lift table for almost 10 years now and on several types and brands of motorcycles. I also use it to store one motorcycle during the winter here in Michigan. I do not regret spending the money. It has "paid" for itself many times over.

Guys I've been using this lift which gives better access then any platform style and can be hung on the wall when not in use. Has BMW mounting adaptors.

lifrear.jpg

Here's a link for info. Bike Lifts

I have a Handy lift - Handyman model which is air operated and targeted for home use (lower $). Simply great. It has a mechanical lock so it will stay elevated when the cylinder is not pressurized. Valve adjustments, oil changes all normal stuff can be done standing up. Put the tools and parts on the platform. Getting the bike on a lift takes some getting used to, I push my RS up but you have to get a decent start and keep the momentum, otherwise it will take you a couple of tries. The emptier the gas tank the better.

My only gripe at this point is that my car is too low to park over top of it. Debating on whether to "sink" the lift a little bit in the garage floor to fix that.

Have the Harbor freight model...on sale around $299, listed at $399
use it all the time, and as a parking space when nothing is needing tinkered with. My back thanked me ,as have some buddies w/out shop space...also have the roll around Craftsman style stool...a good item by itself!

hydraulic foot operated:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91764

they have an air/footpump hydraulic model also:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=501&pricetype=

I do like the looks of that single sided lift....

I built a lift about 13 years ago. It has a 24" X 96" steel checker plate top with a slide out opening at the rear to allow tire removal.

The lift is powered by a 2,000Kg capacity high lift hydraulic floor jack, the maximum lift height is 34 ".

I love having a bike lift, it's much easier on my back, and I do better work as I can comfortably inspect items that I might otherwise ignore!

A friend of mine has a lift that appears to be the same as the Habour Freight model posted elsewhere in this thread, and he is happy with it.

One thing to remeber, is not to lower the lift onto any of your body parts, just ask Diann about that.

Regards, Rod.

Don't let anyone fool you. Handy Lift is the only way to go.Save your back and make it easy on yourself. Talking from experience.

Back