Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This ADV lady was REALLY excited to see me today!

BUBBAZANETTI

This ADV lady was REALLY excited to see me today!

So I'm motoring along the Hutchinson Parkway a little north of the Bronx today. These are fairly small 4 lane highway deals that twist and turn a bit, so the speeds aren't too extreme. I'm minding my own business in the left lane and up in front is a slow driver. I check my right and there's an SUV there, check my mirror and there's a good 20 to 30 foot space between the SUV and the Infinity behind it. As soon as the SUV passes, i signal right and quickly pull into that space. The lady in the Infinity starts laying on the horn and gesturing frantically with a middle finger. I'm like "Huh, I didn't put any ADV stickers on my bike, she must be guessing that since my bike looks like a GS from the back, I'm an ADVer and she's "saluting" me" so I waved back all friendly like. I usually return the ADV salute with a wave. She decides to chase me for a bit, man, she must REALLY like my bike or just be so excited about a fellow ADV member sharing the road with her. MAYBE she's psyched because i prevented her from ramming into that SUV! Anyway, after a little bit of chasing, she decides to exit the highway and pulls up right along side me continuing to lay on the horn and flip me the bird as she exits the parkway. I blew her a kiss with an exaggerated hand toss and more waving, just for good measure, and continued on my way, happy that I could assist a fellow rider who happened to be stuck in her cage have a more enjoyable afternoon.

that was mighty thoughtful of you, bz.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Don't you love the self righteous humans.

Last fall I had a guy in PA running 35 in a 55 , try to run me off the road, when I went to make a safe pass, on a twisty 2 lane, then he proceeded to weave and block the 3 other bikes from passing when opportunities arose. To top this he was a volunteer fireman!

I did not get a plate, but his truck had some unique features, so I wrote a letter to all of the fire departments and the county sheriff in the area.

I equated his actions to an arsonist, as he was indifferent to human life and property.

I don't know if it helped, but at least I tried, hopefully he will get a good A$$ chewing from the fire chief.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti View Post
    So I'm motoring along the Hutchinson Parkway a little north of the Bronx today. These are fairly small 4 lane highway deals that twist and turn a bit, so the speeds aren't too extreme. I'm minding my own business in the left lane and up in front is a slow driver. I check my right and there's an SUV there, check my mirror and there's a good 20 to 30 foot space between the SUV and the Infinity behind it. As soon as the SUV passes, i signal right and quickly pull into that space. The lady in the Infinity starts laying on the horn and gesturing frantically with a middle finger. I'm like "Huh, I didn't put any ADV stickers on my bike, she must be guessing that since my bike looks like a GS from the back, I'm an ADVer and she's "saluting" me" so I waved back all friendly like. I usually return the ADV salute with a wave. She decides to chase me for a bit, man, she must REALLY like my bike or just be so excited about a fellow ADV member sharing the road with her. MAYBE she's psyched because i prevented her from ramming into that SUV! Anyway, after a little bit of chasing, she decides to exit the highway and pulls up right along side me continuing to lay on the horn and flip me the bird as she exits the parkway. I blew her a kiss with an exaggerated hand toss and more waving, just for good measure, and continued on my way, happy that I could assist a fellow rider who happened to be stuck in her cage have a more enjoyable afternoon.
    Well done lad, well done.
    Steve Marquardt

Sure you weren't in Seattle?
    You just described my daily commute.

Only thing missing was her latt? and cellphone.

The Hutch... A great ride when 'empty'.

Party at advladys place!

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    I'm not sure what it is. Personally, the ONLY people I get mad at on the road are those who endanger everyone with their misplaced putzyness and lack of basic knowledge of essential road rules. A person doing 45 in the left lane, refusing to move, will always infuriate me more than just about anyone on the road, with the exception of drunk drivers. This is what I don't understand: people who take other driver's action personally. 99 percent of the time it's a mistake, a bad judgment call, why would you take that personally if it didn't result in an accident?

BZ: Ambassador for the sport.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti View Post
    Find her mom.

Tell her.
    19 BMWMOA Nationals under my belt, and I have no idea what I am doing.

angysdad
    I was once discussing poor driving habits with a co-worker and he asked if I remembered the dumbest guy from high school. I answered yes. He replied, 'he has his license!' Enough said.

Some peoples attitude seems to be...'anyone driving slower than me is a jerk, anyone driving faster is an a$$hole.'

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post

Last fall I had a guy in PA running 35 in a 55 , try to run me off the road, when I went to make a safe pass, on a twisty 2 lane, then he proceeded to weave and block the 3 other bikes from passing when opportunities arose. To top this he was a volunteer fireman!

I did not get a plate, but his truck had some unique features, so I wrote a letter to all of the fire departments and the county sheriff in the area.

I equated his actions to an arsonist, as he was indifferent to human life and property.

I don't know if it helped, but at least I tried, hopefully he will get a good A$$ chewing from the fire chief.
    I had a very similar experience while traveling on a two lane road, but the other driver (a guy) had two small children in his truck. Recognizing that the guy was a pure loon, I backed off. However, a lady behind me, finally passed me and the loon, but only after careening off the berm/ditch of the left-hand lane. The loon, with the kids in the car, drifted the whole way into the left hand lane, to force the passing vehicle into the berm/ditch.

I later discovered that the loon was a faculty member at a local university!!
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

BZ, you're all confused.
    That's NY love!

JAMESDUNN
    A friend of mine told me of a road rage incident in Oklahoma where a woman driving a van deliberately swerved into the side of another vehicle causing it to crash, killing a toddler. It is my understanding that the homicidal, manical driver later turned herself in to the local law enforcement authorities. What I find the most disturbing about this particulair incident is the child involved, couldn't the raging driver see the child? And if so, she apparently was in such a "blind rage" it did not matter. These incidents may be understood when studied but so what? Unless stringent measures are taken (whatever that means), it will not improve. Drivers are getting more aggressive and intentionally murderous over time. As traffic expands it can only get worse in most locations.

JD

It can be summed up w/ one word.

Inattentive.

One example. Two scenarios:

Four lane road, two each way.
    Traffic light is red and 13-14 cars are sitting in the right lane.
    I motor up in the left lane up to the stop line and as if I ran over a switch,
    half the cars behind me jump out in front of each other to get in the 'shorter' line.
    Drivers are lulled into a trance by the creature comforts in the car.
    Nice stereo/DVD players, leather seats, sound deadened cockpit etc.

I see it on the highways too.
    Same thing as above only in a moving pile of cars.
    You make a move to go around it and some are snapped out of a day dream and begin to speed up.
    Some see it as a personal affront that you are actually passing them and will over take you again until the next pile of cars.

That is when I 'lose' them.

I noticed this increasing over the years as cars became more and more 'luxurious' and with cellphones and GPS as an added distraction.

I find myself commuting now on the road less traveled.
    Allowing myself some extra time to get to work less frazzled.
    Or just getting to work, period.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdunn View Post
    What I find the most disturbing about this particulair incident is the child involved, couldn't the raging driver see the child?
    She probably could not see into the other vehicle because of dark tinted windows. A dark tint gives drivers a level of anonymity that makes many think they can do whatever they want. It also makes the victims invisible. The most aggressive drivers I see seem to have the dark windows.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdunn View Post
    Unless stringent measures are taken (whatever that means), it will not improve. Drivers are getting more aggressive and intentionally murderous over time. As traffic expands it can only get worse in most locations.
    JD
    Stringent measures means enforcement. Not tickets for five over the limit but the stuff that matters. Tailgating, running red lights, and failure to vacate the left lane when others want to pass.
    Dave

'06 Triumph Scrambler (Trans-Labrador veteran)