• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Music?

_RockZ_

Seeking the 4TH dimension
I know there is nothing better than the sounds of the road,but in the instance that a guy want s tunes ,
Maybe this is not the place for this(gear),but I was hoping for Bike specific solutions.
'
What are some people soultions to this?

I pod?
xm radio?
Mp3 player?
Bmw radio ?
Zumo?

I know there is nothing better than the sounds of the road,but in the instance that a guy want s tunes ,
Maybe this is not the place for this(gear),but I was hoping for Bike specific solutions.
'
What are some people soultions to this?

I pod?
xm radio?
Mp3 player?
Bmw radio ?
Zumo?

For me, XM built into a Garmin GPSMAP 478. Really, really good (but not quite perfect) coverage on the XM and I like the near real-time NEXRAD weather radar overlays as much as the music.

BMW Navi IV to Jabra BT-3030 to Etymotic ER-6i earbuds. Stereo tunes via A2DP Bluetooth, and the music even autopauses when route guidance needs to tell me where to go.

I think the best answer for this year is a Zumo 665 with XM. I bought a 660 last year and am running the 660 and an ipod through a mix it 2 amp into edset helmet speakers.

Since I put on J&M's CB, intercom, weather radio, & an input for something , -audio unit , it took a while but I finally found a HD am/fm radio tuner that I patched into the J&M unit. Found it in a Heartland catalog, $29. - $39.-. It works great , is smaller /rectangular than J&M unit and clear as HD should be, however I am not sure Heartland still offers the unit. I have mine on yet another fabricated bracket I made , mounted above/behind the J&M unit, in the center of the RT's handlebars, below line of sight into RT's readout screen.
The J&M unit 's input type is for Ipod / walkmans , other conventional car radios too.

I have the BMW radio/CD and I carry about 5 CD's with all my favorite music and it works fine. When I am in cities I use the radio and on the highway I use the CD. I added a CalSci windscreen and now I can hear the music at highway speeds just great. The only thing I wish I had was a satellite radio. I know nothing about connection up anything like that so I will have to stay with what I have now.

Chatterbox HJC-50 System on all my helmets.

Listen to my MP3 player, or my Garmin Nuvi 350 instructions.

Like the system, but will probably upgrade to the Chattebox XBI wireless (Bluetooth) system soon, along with passenger helmet similarly equiped.

I don't listen to music non-stop, but rather choose when to enjoy silence, road sounds or tunes, depending on certain variables.

Helps on long tours!

Ditto for me :thumb
Another vote here for the ZUMO/XM/MP3 combo. I've been using it for about 4 years now. We're getting ready to transfer the system to my wife's new RT. She ordered me a new ZUMO 665 with stereo bluetooth, and I'm going to order XM's NEXRAD service for it...

I find the greatest appeal of touring on my RT is the relative silence. Why ruin it?

I can go about half a day like this, but even with earplugs, it isn't nearly silent enough.

Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast,
To soften Rocks, or bend a knotted Oak.
I've read, that things inanimate have mov'd,
And, as with living Souls, have been inform'd,
By Magick Numbers and persuasive Sound.
What then am I? Am I more senseless grown
Than Trees, or Flint? O force of constant Woe!
'Tis not in Harmony to calm my Griefs.
Anselmo sleeps, and is at Peace; last Night
The silent Tomb receiv'd the good Old King;
He and his Sorrows now are safely lodg'd
Within its cold, but hospitable Bosom.
Why am not I at Peace?

iPod classic (80GB) to Future Sonics FS1 earbuds. iPod resides inside my jacket. (good 320 bps rips, makes a diff)
I'm not too concerned about being able to browse and select a tune so I just run a shuffle, less distractions that way.

Another vote here for the ZUMO/XM/MP3 combo. I've been using it for about 4 years now. We're getting ready to transfer the system to my wife's new RT. She ordered me a new ZUMO 665 with stereo bluetooth, and I'm going to order XM's NEXRAD service for it...

If you got regular the regular XM puck antenna and standard service can I upgrade to the XM NEXRAD with the 550 unit?

If you got regular the regular XM puck antenna and standard service can I upgrade to the XM NEXRAD with the 550 unit?

I thought the 550 only supported weather alerts/reports, but not the NEXRAD radar images. I was thinking the new 665 and the marine units (478, 376) were the only ones that supported NEXRAD overlays.

Edit..

Apologies for the fuzzy image, but this is why I really like the NEXRAD overlays. I use the weather stuff all the time when I'm riding. Here's an example where I used the NEXRAD overlays to skirt my way around a storm on the way home from a trip I was on. I took the photo right after I pulled in the garage.

313415712_utC2x-X3.jpg

Last edited:

You can definitely NOT get nexrad on a 550. XM took money from me to add what I thought was an available option. It took me well over a year to get my $300 back.

My sounds

Garmin 478 with XM Radio Nexrad Weather routed through a Mix It 2 on the priority channel, so when the little lady talks it will override whatever I have plugged into the other inputs IPOD in the Mix It. The out from the mix it goes to my J&M CB. ilisten to everything through the J&M elite headsets in my helmet.

Back