• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

for airplane lovers

Night pictures of DFW and Dallas, TX

My son took these while he was night flying. It was a quiet night so DFW and Love Field towers let him do some low level flights over DFW and the city.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 247
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 250
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 248
NC7501V, housed in my backyard (San Luis Obispo) for years. Never was able to catch a ride, although it showed up at many airshows, local and national. I was lucky enough, as a kid, to take a ride in one with my dad. That must have been circa 1958 or so.

Oshkosh 2004

trimotor4.jpg

Home field SBP

tri-motor-1.jpg

Sold in 2002, not sure where she is now.

Leaving SLOtown for the last time.

tri-motor-3.jpg

New kids on the block, three of them, two owned locally, one out of San Mateo.

Beechcraft Model 17, aka:Staggerwing

IMGA0981.jpg
IMGA0982.jpg

0000009122.jpg

Last edited:
NC7501V, housed in my backyard (San Luis Obispo) for years. Never was able to catch a ride, although it showed up at many airshows, local and national. I was lucky enough, as a kid, to take a ride in one with my dad. That must have been circa 1958 or so.

Oshkosh 2004

trimotor4.jpg

Home field SBP

tri-motor-1.jpg

Sold in 2002, not sure where she is now.

Leaving SLOtown for the last time.

tri-motor-3.jpg

New kids on the block, three of them, two owned locally, one out of San Mateo.

Beechcraft Model 17, aka:Staggerwing

IMGA0981.jpg
IMGA0982.jpg

0000009122.jpg

What year & model is this plane ?...that thing is just downright beautiful !

And, I should point out that thanks to Kurt's sleuthing out the new home of NC7501V ... I found out that the "Ford" Tri Motor isn't actually a Ford after all. It's a 1960s vintage Stout Bushmaster 2000; "a small commuter airliner built in the United States in an attempt to revive the Ford Trimotor design."

1923141.jpg

And, I should point out that thanks to Kurt's sleuthing out the new home of NC7501V ... I found out that the "Ford" Tri Motor isn't actually a Ford after all. It's a 1960s vintage Stout Bushmaster 2000; "a small commuter airliner built in the United States in an attempt to revive the Ford Trimotor design."

1923141.jpg

I saw an original Ford Tri-Motor at a local Municipal A/Port A/ show..

Very similar ?..to the Focker Tri-Motor ...favorite of Ol' Adolf.....

. Here is a real Trimotor from the Grand Canyon.

Attachments

• Trimotor at Grand Canyon Standard e-mail view.jpg
    Trimotor at Grand Canyon Standard e-mail view.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 207
Whatever it is that's hanging down next to the engine nacelle, it's a cool detail. Must the the pull down to the attic... .. .

edit_ Turns out it's an optional Mail Compartment.

See wing detail note near center of drawing. Read some of the other notes i.e. Differential Brake Lever some of the other notes.

Attachments

• TriMotor Mail Comp.jpg
    TriMotor Mail Comp.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Whatever it is that's hanging down next to the engine nacelle, it's a cool detail. Must the the pull down to the attic... .. .

edit_ Turns out it's an optional Mail Compartment.

And extra luggage stowage.

:dance:dance:dance

Well, lookie what I found this morning. I use Google Earth at work and what doing a job near San Luis Obispo's airport this morning. While I was scanning over the area I found a shot of our old friend the Stout Bushmaster aka, Ford Tri Motor pictured above. The GE image is copyrighted 2015, but the image was shot on 8/23/2013, so it must of have been sold, and flown out, shortly afterward.

But look what else is sitting on the tarmac. I've seen this aircraft fly over the are twice, but not recently. It is, or was, privately owned, and I think I recall it was an ex-Canadian Air Force machine. I was thinking something like Canadair T33, but I'm not so sure. I know one thing, when he's lights the torch it goes.

Twin engine, straight wing plan, V-tail (I'm guessing from the shadows); the V-tail would eliminate the T-33. Plus, the nose doesn't look long enough.

Attachments

• SBP - San Luis Obispo.jpg
    SBP - San Luis Obispo.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 152
A little closer, fuzzier, view....

Maybe an Avro-something?

Attachments

• Whatzit.jpg
    Whatzit.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
It looks just like a U2. Ironically I was using google earth to look at Pismo beach recently as I followed C. K. Shepherds ride report through that area in 1919. Not sure what a U2 would be doing at what looks like a civil airport.

I don't think It's a v tail ...

I think you're right.

It's looking sort of like an Avro Canada CF100 Canuck-like substance. But the wing/empenage plan-form ratio is longer/narrower. Maybe a high altitude version? :dunno

canada_canuck.gif

ac_062.jpg

cf-100-5-straight-up.gif

Back