• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

for airplane lovers

This was a year or so ago and we were on a military run and were invited out on the field by the General for the photo op.

DSCF1789.jpg

Mike

Hate to break it to you Greg, but that is a Northrup flying wing built in California. Note the insignia on the engine.:dance

Jim, I agree with the insignia, but where do you think Northrup got the idea? I am only repeating what I read on Wikipedia, admittedly. I was not in Germany when the original was supposed to have been invented, nor in California when Northrup supposedly copied it. No claims made or challenged!

WW11 Germany

Daryl seems to have more specific information above...

The pic of the F-4 earlier in this thread brought back memories when I worked in maintenance in an F-4 squadron (VF-31) back in the 60s. This is a shot of me at work inside the nose of one of our planes.

Attachments

• Scan-100703-0007a (Large).jpg
    Scan-100703-0007a (Large).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 599
Flying wing development history

...what I read on Wikipedia...gregfuess

According to Wiki, Hugo Junkers patented the design in 1910, but the French, Soviets, Americans, and Germans were all working on the concept prior to WW II, and a number of wings and "near" wings were developed and flown.

Last edited:
Lancaster 1 of 2

I learned to fly in the summer of 1969 on a scholarship in St. Catharines Ontario
Canada and my Chief Flying Instructor was Leon Evans.

Here is a picture of Leon at his new job flying 1 of 2 Lancasters still flying in the world.

Not a bad retirement job eh!

Attachments

• dynamic_resize.jpg
    dynamic_resize.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 551
I learned to fly in the summer of 1969 on a scholarship in St. Catharines Ontario
Canada and my Chief Flying Instructor was Leon Evans.

Here is a picture of Leon at his new job flying 1 of 2 Lancasters still flying in the world.

Not a bad retirement job eh!

Not bad at all !!!!!
:brow

I wish I had one with both my bike and my plane, but I'll settle for a B-2 and A-10. I was getting my flight physical the same day the Whiteman AFB was having an open house...

213ht9j.jpg

MiG-17

While at a seminar in Rockford I looked out the widow of the conference room and yell (yeah, it was embarassing) "there's a effing MiG-17!!!""

Attachments

• Peeps 001.jpg
    Peeps 001.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 684
...got to fly in a ... Luscombe...Voni

The /2 of airplanes, Voni. :)

That's real stick and rudder flying! Some of the pics were of the homestead, I take it?

Last edited:
Bt-13

Because of an opportunity that I had last April I wrote a little article regarding it and why that opportunity was important. A Warbirds historical organization was interested in it and decided to publish it and a 'rough' little video that I did of the event on their site. Thought some folks might be interested in the tale and the site itself.

http://bt-13.org/newhome/?p=697

- Bob

Back