• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cargo on a GT

JerryAttrick

We are about to take a long trip, and I'm a little concerned about the total carrying capacity of the side bags and top box. I was thinking about some panniers, but the three brands I checked don't make them for the KGT.
(I don't want to pull a trailer.)
Suggestions?

GT Fully Loaded

Jerry
I did St Pete-Chicago-Santa Monica and back last summer. Had to have cold weather clothes(Pikes Peak 26) as well as warm weather(Needles 108) and the bike carried it all very well. Of course I had the ESA set for two riders and baggage. Not sure that answers your question.

Don S

I've just added the top case to my GT, after using a soft bag on it for a couple of long trips. While that makes it good for long distance, one-up travel, it is tight for two. Adding a trailer would be tough, as I don't know any company that makes a hitch system for the GT (although there could be one). Although you don't want to trailer, maybe a Uni-Go one wheel trailer might work for you. It's large enough for the purpose, although essentially just a large pannier on a wheel. It's light and has the advantage that you can just wheel it into the room with you. Think of it as rolling luggage. I just checked out their website at uni-go-trailers.com and it looks pretty cool...

Any Uni-Go users out there want to chime in?...

Two-up

The key word here is "We".
My wife (previously thought to be a sane and responsible adult) wants to do this trip with me.
I suspect our best plan may involve some strategically placed UPS shipments at friends' homes along the route.

Jerry,
What did u mean by "long" trip? 7 days? 14 days? 28 days? 2 months?
Camping? Motels?

This may sound odd, but on a lengthy trip, pack some old clothing, wear and wash a couple times, discard either via a shelter or dumpster, and pick up some new tacky tourist wear along the way:laugh

O yeah but u said the wife was coming along, soooo that may not work, Topcase for shoes, side cases for her clothes and toiletries, tank bag for u;)

Good Luck

"Long" trip

We are riding from Tallahassee, Florida to the Redmond rally, taking the shortcut through New Hampshire.
I think the answer is a big tank bag (and some UPS boxes).

Back