• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMWMOA ON Magazine mileage contest

maxscycle

Just got my ON magazine and no mention of the annual mileage contest entry form. I thought the contest started in early April. Am I missing something?
max

I think the results for last years mileage contest and the beginning form for this years
contest will be in the April issue.
At least thats how it usually has been.

Mileage contest

I've never figured out why the start date of the mileage contest is always announced so late. Does it take someone that long to figure out when it's going to be? I don't think so. Is it kept underwraps to for security reasons? I doubt that too.
So, I have to ask, if they can announce the date and location of the next national rally a year in advance, why do we have to wait for the April issue to find out the begin and start dates of the contest?
Our club likes to plan a ride around the start of the contest and it would be easier if we had more than a week or two notice.

when?

:dunnoI would not mind receiving my march issue?I hope before April

Based upon the dates of the 2009 contest:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/ridetour/mileage_contest/mileage_contest

My guess is that it will be from 4/10/2010 thru midnight of 10/10/2010.

Ok I'm being really blond right now, that time frame is not a year (this is a yearly mileage contest right?) so what gives? :scratch I ride in all sorts of crappy weather all year so why can't we use the start and stop of the year, shoot I'm leaving out a bunch of miles and I'm sure others are too!

Also, the winner of last year must have ridden about 85-9500 miles a month for 6 months to get about ~50K+ miles. Even if that mileage was for 12 months, it's just crazy riding:dance :burnout

that depends on your definition of crazy. Offer to fund someones expenses for 6 months if they ride minimum of 10K miles every month. I think a whole lot of crazies would come out of the woodwork.

Rod

Ok I'm being really blond right now, that time frame is not a year (this is a yearly mileage contest right?) so what gives? :scratch I ride in all sorts of crappy weather all year so why can't we use the start and stop of the year, shoot I'm leaving out a bunch of miles and I'm sure others are too!

Kind of hard to keep up good averages if you live in Canada! Even the April - October run is the middle of winter for Downunder. It's yearly, meaning it's run once a year. The idea is to provide a time period where most everyone (Northern Hemisphere) has a reasonable chance to ride in decent weather.

On the other hand, to have to ride in South Texas from July through August is no picnic...at least to this wimpy boy! :hide

The date are set to reflect the typical riding season for those of us who get real winters. I ride in all sorts of horrible weather too, but that's just what we get here in the summer. Winter is nearly hopeless for riding.

I agree that the winners put on some crazy miles. It really doesn't even seem like fun to me to ride that much. I seriously question the quality of the riding that is represented in those totals. I entered a couple of times, but haven't bothered to for the past few years since there is no chance I'd ever come anywhere close to the winners. I'd rather put on a few (quite a few I think) quality miles rather than a load of blasting down the interstate miles. In fact, unless there is no alternative, I never ride major highways or interstates. I have been riding my GS more now, and often spend all day travelling only a couple hundred miles without much time spent stopped just because of the nature of the roads and trails. Secondly, I don't have the free time that some individuals do. I still work full time and need to continue to do so for a while longer yet. That means going round the country to every rally is not going to happen; in fact I am lucky to even get to one or two. I do ride a s much as I can, but will never come close to the winners.

The mileage contest appeals and caters to a select few individuals, and is thus not really of much value to me. I don't begrudge those who choose to ride that much, but I really don't get the point of glorifying it over those of us who choose a different approach. Mileage ain't everything.

... I'd rather put on a few (quite a few I think) quality miles rather than a load of blasting down the interstate miles. ... Mileage ain't everything.

Amen!

That why I ride to Montreal and Halifax for the long rides. :ca

LoveSaltyFogbutton.jpg

I'd rather put on a few (quite a few I think) quality miles rather than a load of blasting down the interstate miles.

But this is simply an incorrect assumption as to the riding styles of others. Having spent a considerable number of years/miles riding with a frequent winner of this contest I can assure you that it is not necessary to ride Interstates and major highways to ride a substantial number of miles in a year. What it takes is the time, willingness, and determination to go lots of places, see lots of things, visit lots of fine folks, and enjoy lots of roads. The year that Voni rode 73,660 miles in the 6 month contest she rode very very few Interstate miles. But she did visit 38 states, the 4 Corners, and half a dozen Canadian provinces and territories.

Last edited:
I like the idea that my participation adds to my State's total, which comes in at the top every year. If I and others didn't participate, Wisconsin might fall off the map!:laugh:laugh
But seriously, even if you are not a mileage junky and just enjoy occasional rides, your miles help your state and you're participating in a club activity. :buds

I like to add to my state's total, especially since so many of us here in CA ride pretty steady all year around. I enjoy seeing the miles some folks put in and view it as a testament to their free time vs mine. I aspire to having that free time someday. In the meantime, I continue to put on the best quality miles I can and enjoy every minute of it. It also helps me guage how busy I have been year over year and reflect back on whether I have too much on my plate, just another form of guaging my quality of life.

Also, the winner of last year must have ridden about 85-9500 miles a month for 6 months to get about ~50K+ miles. Even if that mileage was for 12 months, it's just crazy riding:dance :burnout

The mileage contest is indeed yearly. The contest is run from year to year. The idea of having a contest run twelve months was discussed at great length years ago on this forum.

The current format allows for a greater participation as some of us are limited by having four very distinct seasons.

Have fun!

...The year that Voni rode 73,660 miles in the 6 month contest she rode very very few Interstate miles. But she did visit 38 states, the 4 Corners, and half a dozen Canadian provinces and territories.

I still like the picture that appeared in the ON of the stack of tires necessary for the 73k+ miles. :brad

Back