• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking for J & M CB for BMW ComSystem 2005 K1200LT

Dthornburg

For the past year I have reviewed quite a few threads on the BMWMOA Forums talking about problems installing a CB unit on 2005 K1200LT and I couldn't find a solution to my specific problem within the Forum.

I have a 2005 K1200LT that came with a BMW ComSystem installed. The ComSystem was made by the J & M Corporation specifically for the K1200LT and it works fine. I have attached a Word Document showing what my ComSystem looks like and J & M has confirmed that this ComSystem was made by them.

I and a local BMW Dealership have been trying for the past several months to connect up a Midland CB, Model 75-822 with very limited success. After numerous emails with J & M trying to resolve the issue I was finally told that there was only one CB unit that would work with and integrate through the ComSystem I have. J & M said the CB they are referring to is a J & M CB unit made specifically for the BMW K1200LT.

John Lazzeroni, President of J & M emailed a copy of the owner's manual for this CB and it looks like an older model of the JMCB-2003, which mounts on the left handle bar. The part number for this BMW CB radio kit is 99 99 0 006 072. I and a local BMW Dealership can't find any reference to this part number nor what is included in the kit.

The owner's manual John sent has a graphic drawing shows multiple cables/connectors and how they connect together to integrate the CB unit so that it work through the BMW ComSystem. It shows how the connections run to work separate PTT buttons for the Rider and Passenger as well as their helmets, how to connect up GPS unit (I have and it is a BMW Navigator II) and antenna, ground, etc.

Does anyone have any information about part number 99 99 0 006 072 and what it includes?
Do you know where I can find/purchase this specific CB unit?
If CB radio kit doesn't include all the cables/connectors to integrate it with the BMW ComSystem, does anyone have part numbers for the necessary cables/connectors to do so and where can I find them?

There is some light at the end of the tunnel and that is J & M said (John Lazzeroni) that if I can't find this specific unit anywhere, J & M will be do a run of this CB unit toward the end of 2010. I sure would like to have one before then is possible. I will appreciate any help or leads anyone can give at this time.

AZDIRTRIDER

Attachments

• BMW ComSystem by J & M Corp.doc
    133.5 KB · Views: 50
Sounds like a pain to get this sorted; I'd suggest going with a FRS or GMRS radio sytem hooked into an Autocom unit for bike-to-bike communication (if that's what you need). Much simpler and probably smaller sytem that will give you better audio in the end.

I have a 05 k1200lt with the JM system that was installed when I bought new and the dealer connected all of the system. All of the cables came with the system. The dealer changed the orignal Voice 1 system to the voice 2 system that works with the JM system. Have had some problems but the dealer correct it very well. Hope you can get it sorted out. Don't know what the model numbers of the JM system other that it says BMW on the unit mounted on the left handle bar.

I appreciate the feedback you guys have given. The main reason I have been so stubborn with trying to get a CB hooked up through the ComSystem is because my wife has a 2007 R1200RT with the JMCB 2003 hooked up to her helmet and for whatever reason she is unwilling to change over to anything else that will allow her to use FRS or GMRS even though we bought J & M Integratr with everything to make the switch. (Some mountains just aren't going to move.) So now the Integratr sits on our 2001 R1150GS and gets used whenever I ride it.

I personally would prefer to use GMRS since it includes FRS frequencies, which are less crowded than CB radio in populated areas and GMRS frequencies are a whole lot less populated than FRS. I am OK with the $85.00 fee for a GMRS license for the advantages you get with GMRS.

I have been contacted by BMW Corporate office customer service after sending them an email explaining the problem and they indicated that they may be able to find a base that will fit the Midland CB 75-822, which is similar to the Midland 75-830 just a little newer. The BMW ComSystem manual that came with my 2005actually suggested using the 75-830, which the manual said was made for BMW and it came with a base that had been modified specifically to integrate with the BMW ComSystem on my bike. I can find the 75-830 CB top unit but not the base, which is the critical part with all the connections.

I gues we will just practice hand signals until we figure this out. Thanks again for the input.

Our LT has the ComSystem but was originally delivered with a cheaper CB hookup. I want to say that it was a Cobra or Midland unit but don't remember. At any rate, we replaced that unit with the proper J&M unit and that works 100% better. It uses the same case as the J&M 2003 but the functions are quite different. If I were you I'd just bite the bullet and buy the unit from J&M. As I recall all connectors come with the unit.

J&m cb

Your not alone in your search, I have tried in vain to get something to replace the factory installed CB that mounted in the oddiments box, I have also tried the 75-822 to no avail, and that may be because I cannot find a tech that will even look at the radio, they all just say that they will not work on a walkie talkie. I went to Hap's BMW in Sarasota and purchased the BMW provided (J&M made) kit but upon close inspection found out that the kit is for 2005 and up so will not work with my 2003. I too have had several conversations with John (nice person - good company) but his hands are tied contractually so he cannot help.
I am ready to throw in the towel and buy the kit that J&M sells for BMW even though it cannot be made to work through the com system, I am just tired of trying to find an alternate.:banghead
Big Jim
Floral City, Fl

BMW Communicator (CB)

ASCycles.com has the correct part number for the 2005 LT (BMW part #99 99 0 006 072).

$485. Does not include antenna, helmet headset/mic, etc.

So does Powersports Network

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/e...&product=145549&cattype=&ProductCategoryCode=

BMW HANDLEBAR MOUNTED CB COMMUNICATOR - With VOICE ComSystem (For K1200LT, 2005 Model year and later)
99-99-0-006-074 $485.00
BMW HANDLEBAR MOUNTED CB COMMUNICATOR - With Com 1 System (For K1200LT, 2003 Model year and earlier)
99-99-0-006-072 $485.00

BMW Communicator (CB)

I appreciate the link to Powersports Network but I called them and found out that they donÔÇÖt sell these items directly, they are just a third party advertiser helping other businesses by directing you to those businesses that have hired PSN to promote their websites. I clicked on the ÔÇ£Find a dealerÔÇØ link and it took me to the Victory BMW web site, which is in Chandler where I live, but Victory and the BMW dealership in Scottsdale are the two dealers I have been working with to resolve this CB communicator issue that I have been wrestling with about over a year now.

I also went to ASCycles.com and did a search using the BMW part number 99 99 0 006 072 and found a page (http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1962 ) that looked like it was the unit I was looking for but when I call A & S, I was told that their website is not up to date and that the BMW part number 99 99 0 006 072 has since been changed/updated to BMW part number 71 60 0 414 267.

Even with that it initially sounded promising because the sales person read a description from an internal product description (which he said was a catalogue not available to the general public) that the CB unit (part number 71 60 0 414 267) would work with both the V.O.I.C.E I and II Comsystems. (I have the V.O.I.C.E. I) He also said they donÔÇÖt have this CB in stock but could order it from BMW.

Since I have been working with some customer service people from BMW Corporate of North America who have been trying to find a CB unit that works with the V.O.I.C.E. I Comsystem, I was hoping that A & S had a secret connection. But after the A & S sales person check it out, they came back with the disappointing news that the CB unit had been discontinued and is no longer available.

Just to be sure, (or maybe because I like pain and frustration), I called A & S a couple hours later and talked with a different sales person and tried to come at it from a different angle and they ended up telling me the same thing.

John Lazzeroni of the J & M Corporation said that he would be making a small run of the CB unit I need some time around the end of 2010. Right now it is either wait for J & M to make this short run of the CB unit I need or change out the Comsystem in my K1200LT to something newer that is compatible with maybe the JMCB2003. I can still find the JMCB2003.

Or, find a way to convince my wife get rid of the JMCB2003 on her R1200RT and help her install a comsystem that would allow us to use FRS or GMRS radios. Ya, like thatÔÇÖs going to happen.

Thanks any way for your post. I appreciate your trying to help me out.

Using the Midland CB and ComSystem...

If memory serves me correctly, part of the installation document for the old Midland CB Radio setup (P/N 99 99 0 000 196 - installs in the oddments box) was a pinout diagram of the 8 Pin DIN plug used to intergrate two way radios into the com system. Any competent two-way radio shop or even an adept mechanic should be able to make you an adapter cable to integrate the retail Midland CB.

As for problems with the older Midland installations, its usually a matter of either not following the ground plane strap installations correctly, misrouting the antenna cable near a noise source, or failing to set SWR on the CB antenna.

YMMV (as I haven't helped install one of these in quite a long time)... ;)

Back