Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nylon cremains on muffler

DennyPink

Nylon cremains on muffler

I got too close to my hot muffler with nylon material and now have an ugly baked on black spot. I thought I had read that it was safe to stray on oven cleaner, let it sit overnight, then wipe off the "cremains" in the morning. Does anyone remember this?? Thanks!
    Denny Pink
    1978 R100/7

I don't think I would leave it on over night. maybe 30 minutes at the most. oven cleaner should do the trick. just be VERY carefull not to get the cleaner on any Aluminum. don't ask why I know this. LOL
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

DennyPink
    I should have added this in my original question, is there any chance the cleaner could permanently stain the chrome?

A Lot of That Going Around

I managed to leave some Nylon on both exhausts and now need to get a hold of some Cordura to patch my tank bag and riding pants . Not so concerned about the stains, but the holes are a drag.

I have the same problem on my S3 -- I'll be happy when the high pipe thing is completely dead. I've tried both the overnight method and the 30 minute method (with the pipes warm to hot). Neither worked perfectly but overnight was better.

Of course the other thing I need is a heat proof patch that applies to Aerostich material.
    '61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 690 Duke, '13 Daytona 675R, '17 1290 GT, '18 Street Triple RS (gone but not forgotten: '76 R75/6, '84 R100, '76 R90S)

You may want to try washing the area first to get off any dirt, bugs, etc, then scraping it carefully with a new razor blade held at an angle. Then rub vigorously with a quality metal polish and new micro fiber rag. The residue will come off easier if the pipe is warm to the touch. I would avoid using any harsh chemicals since nylon is pretty much inert anyway.

I think MEK (Methyl Ethyl Keytone) dissolves nylon. It is in the paint section at the hardware store. Use it outdoors and wear gloves. Stay away from the paint.

Man, that takes me back to organic chemistry - a time in my life I would just as soon forget!

MEK Potential Acute Health Effects:

Hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant, permeator), of eye contact (irritant), of ingestion, of inhalation (lung
    irritant).
    Potential Chronic Health Effects:
    CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available.
    MUTAGENIC EFFECTS: Mutagenic for bacteria and/or yeast.
    TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Classified POSSIBLE for human.
    DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Not available.
    The substance may be toxic to gastrointestinal tract, upper respiratory tract, skin, eyes, central nervous system
    (CNS).
    Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage.

RSPENNACHIO
    I melted nylon on my header a while back. I just polished it off with Simichrome.

With 3 airheads I get to do this every winter - mostly burnt on boot heals. I take the same approach as RonKMiller but use a dull razor blade held at a very flat angle (enough to catch the burnt rubber/nylon but not enought to catch on the chrome surface) and I always use a few drops of mineral spirits to lubricate it all. The mineral spirits may help disolve or break up the charred remains but it surely reduces the chances of scratching the chrome plating. Slow and easy with it then wash off it off well when you're done and re-wax. This has worked well for me for years.

Been there, done that, just YESTERDAY. Olympia is sending me a free piece of Cordura to have my suit patched. I bet any company would send you a piece to fix the suit.

I guess this is why I should wear LEATHER when riding an airhead....

Anyone ever fashion a chrome protective plate in that area to prevent this?
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

On the Road
    I made a shield to keep from burning my boot heal. E Mail me and I will send you a pix.

Jack Ethridge
    Ocala Fl
    jethridge4@cox.net

stain on pipes

lacier thinner works
    In.eddie

Yarddog
    I use a low yield tactical nuke...

DennyPink
    Taking ideas from different posts, I sprayed carb cleaner into a cotton ball, dabbed the cremains, then used a razor blade to scrape the material off. Thanks for the help everyone!
    Denny Pink