• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Airhead Tires

DonLalonde

I have to replace the tires on my 1981 R100RT. I have only run Metzelers... any suggestions? Please include the brand and model and if you are happy with them.

Avon Roadrunner (AM20/AM21) Motorcycle Tire

Avon Roadrunner Motorcycle Tire

link to web seller:

http://traxms.com/Roadrunner.html

I have these on my 1974 R75 available in inch sizes to fit the older airheads.
My installer/ airhead guru recommended these - work great I am very happy.

I do have metzerls (sp) on my other bike also good if you get the right size.

Metric sizes are a problem with rubbing on drive shaft if you go with "its just a little larger than the inch size recommended":stick

Michelin also makes the Macadams in the correct inch sizes. I have the Avons on a Norton I ride quite alot they work well.

Ken G.

My bike is 1981 R100. The past 4 years and 28,000 miles have been on Bridgestone S11 Spitfires in metric equivalent to inch size 100/90-19 and 110/90-18 sizes. No rubbing on fender brace or swing arm. Good traction in wet or dry, I ride to the right side of spirited. I get 10,000 miles out of a rear tire and who knows how much out of a front as I change them as a set.

Metzeler

I have had my '93 R100RT for 1 1/2 years. I have worn out two Metzeler Lasertecs on the front in 8000 miles. I also wore out a rear Lasertec in 4000 miles.
Changed to Metzeler ME88 on rear and have much better results (about 5000 miles now) and I have an Avon on the front. All tires were properly sized.
Campbell Tellman II
:thumb

Avon Roadrunner Motorcycle Tire

I have these on my 1974 R75 available in inch sizes to fit the older airheads.
My installer/ airhead guru recommended these - work great I am very happy.
+1

I now have ~500 miles on a new set on my '88 R100RT -- my 1st set of Avons in >30 years of riding. A good experience thus far.

Now that the mold release compound is rubbed off I'm starting to push them a bit harder (after they've warmed up a bit, of course). So far, quite confidence inspiring, both leaning and under heavy braking; they seem to just grip, without any sense of squirming or other undesired drama.

what size Avons

I have a '84 R80 RT and am interested in the Avons. What sizes did you get for yours? At a big bike show the rep was unsure of what would fit my bike.

I have a '84 R80 RT and am interested in the Avons. What sizes did you get for yours? At a big bike show the rep was unsure of what would fit my bike.
Avon Road Runners AM20 come in the ORIGINAL size as was used on the bike from the factory (3.25H19 & 4.00H18).
I put these on last year and am very satisfied with the tire...I do drive in the rain at times and find them better than most others.

I like Metzeler Lasertecs. Original sizing, good handling, good stick, ungodly wet-weather stick, and they look right for the bike (being I think the modern equivalents of the ME33 and ME99 the bike came with). FWIW/YMMV.

Back