• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Midwest Riders going to the Rally?

I'm in Northern lower MI and was wondering if anyone in the vicinity is heading out to the rally? I'm tentatively planning a 2 week trek of mostly camping. I'm considering doing a loop up to Olympia National Park after the rally and then on to Glacier for a couple of days then heading home via US-2.

Anyone have similar plans?

We're heading out from Ontario. Planning to spend a couple of days in Napa, then ride up the PCH before heading for the Rally. Maybe we'll see you there!

Cheryl

Heading out from Greenville, SC....via Colorado, UT, ID, and into Oregon. Not a camping type. But after rally heading out to West coast and then North along the coast and coming thru Washington, MT, WY, Nebraska....and south.

Riding from Vermont over four of the lakes, reentering the states at the SOO. Will probably haul buttocks from there to Glacier, drop into Hell's Canyon, then to the rally. Will probably only stay a couple of days, then loop back to the Olympic Peninsula, ferry across the Sound, catch the Northern Cascades, then meander down to the TOTR in Paonia, Colorado. Will spend a couple of days there then slab it home before my vacation time expires.

Camping all the way. Might find a hotel every few days to wash the stench out.

Pete

Yes...from Chicago....

I'm thinking of taking the northerly route through the black hills, and see Rushmore, which I haven't seen since I was a kid.

Last edited:
Western Lower Michigan

I will be heading out from West Michigan. Thinking about a very indirect route out taking 2 for a while and then floating down towards Utah. A buddy from Ontario has not seen the great stuff south of 70 in Utah. From there, straight across to the UN, followed by the MOA. I have to do the Lolo and other parts of Idaho on the way back out. PM me to get in touch.

Thanks for the replies. As we get closer to lift off and travel plans firm up I'll PM those interested in riding to see what/how much fits with each others plans... Cheers, Tim

Are all you guys retired?

How do you find the time to ride so much?

time off

Are all you guys retired?

How do you find the time to ride so much?

Taking two weeks off, riding from MN, planing to ride the "Zen Route" there and something else home. Camping as much as possible. Riding two up with camping gear on a 1975 R60/6. Two lane black top preferred.:usa
47 years old, same job for 23 years (warehouse) 6 weeks of vacation each year.:dance
Steve

Taking two weeks off, riding from MN, planing to ride the "Zen Route" there and something else home. Camping as much as possible. Riding two up with camping gear on a 1975 R60/6. Two lane black top preferred.:usa
47 years old, same job for 23 years (warehouse) 6 weeks of vacation each year.:dance
Steve

Here I am same job for 35 years, 11 years older than you 6 weeks vacation a year, and I can't seem to put two weeks back to back. Oh, I don't have anyone who wants to ride pillion with me either.

All that and my bike is 34 years newer than yours!

Oh, but I am from Minnesota!

:bolt

Planning, Planning, Planning

The only way I can do this type of ride each year is to protect the vacation time diligently. I put the big rocks on the calender early, so the small ones do not overwhelm my goal. Of course this then points to setting up the backwards planning to get everything done on the bike, at work, and at the other work (that two jobs thing) so that I am ready when the trip time comes up. Got a bike work/repair day coming up to do the major modifications for the year on a long weekend. Protect the vacation time against all comers! Pop up events not planned before I get my trip on, don't get done.
Share the dates 9 months out or more with people I work for and those that work for me, as well as family and friends.
And, most importantly, invite your family and friends to go along, join you there, or see along the way.

I did that ride taking 2 a few years ago. Great way to go. Lots to see. Two weeks may be rushing it. I'm from Kzoo area. Taking super-slab to Dubuque area and then heading north to catch US20, which runs all the way to the rally. US20 is also known as the Oregon Trail. I'll be traveling alone, but would welcome some company. I plan to camp/motel. Leaving around July 4th. Riding a GSA. Doing dirt when an occasion arrises.

Heading out from ON around the first of July. To Denver to visit my son, dil, and granddaughter. Then Redmond. Then Vancouver, BC to visit, the other son, dil and granddaughter. Then Ponoka, AB for a rally. Possibly off to Vermont after that for the RA rally. Home at the end of the month.

Route to be determined each night by the weather channel and whatever appeals to me on the map.

Yes I'm retired. :dance

Speaking of vacations, time off, and planning, here is my revelation. Now I am retired. About five years before retiring, I took my first ever two week vacation. It was wonderful and created an the real perspective on life rather than the corporate/career perspective. I couldn't believe that it took me so long to make a decent vacation trip. Good equilibrium requires the right balance of each, but it is very easy to loose sight of the needs for personal time.

If you are too far from Redmond (or any ride) for a one week vacation and can't go, try to figure out whose (and what) rules are controlling. Then take the extra 2, 3, 4 days.

Ben

Squach Hello

The route via hwy2 is long and flat especially until Glacier NP, but Galcier NP, Flathead lake ... are fantastic!! Just takes days in ND, Minn are boring.

Past post states Hwy 20 route that I took last Redmond rally and very fun. Sand Hills of Nebraska, Wyoming Jackson hole and Idaho. I would sugest hwy 20 but my 2 cents:) Funner Faster!

Charlie

I'm leaving from Nevis, MN (northern MN) on Tuesday, July 13. I plan to ride I-94 across ND and much of MT (boring, I know, but relatively quick). My initial plan is to ride Lolo Pass down through ID, then into OR at Ontario, then follow US26 into Redmond. I am tinkering with the idea of doing the Redmond 1000 from Miles City, MT since I'll be going through there anyway. That would land me in Redmond on Wednesday night (I've booked a room for that night already in advance). I'll stay with Sherpa Ted at the rally. I plan to take the same (or similar) route back home, but at a more leisurely pace to take in the sights, especially if I do the Redmond 1000 on the way there. Either way, it'll be fun! I just pray that the evil ND cross winds are mellow. I've encountered some pretty ugly wind a few times in ND. Oh, well... Like my 7-year-old boy says: You take what you get, and don't throw a fit! :laugh

Squach Hello

The route via hwy2 is long and flat especially until Glacier NP, but Galcier NP, Flathead lake ... are fantastic!! Just takes days in ND, Minn are boring.

Past post states Hwy 20 route that I took last Redmond rally and very fun. Sand Hills of Nebraska, Wyoming Jackson hole and Idaho. I would sugest hwy 20 but my 2 cents:) Funner Faster!

Charlie

Maple City, Mi to Redmond

I plan on taking the back roads through the UP to Miles City, Mt. over several days, resting a bit, then doing the Redmond 1000 from Miles City to Redmond. I still have a few details to work out, though.

I have about a week of family stuff to do in the Seattle area after the rally, then will take another week for a back road return.

I followed US2 on the way to the Gillette, Wy rally a couple of years back, and agree that the part across Minnesota is flat and straight. I would add that it is also windy, but riding a motorcycle is never exactly boring to me. I think I'll try another route this time, though.

I can't remember when I've been able to do so much motorcycling in N. Michigan in March. Squatch in Traverse City, if you want to get together for a tune up ride or to compare notes, let me know.

John Peck
Maple City, Mi

Back