• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Busy Weekend

DIY'ers

Luis
As usual, a very good job. It is appreciated.
The DIY'ers need to be careful on the oil filters. I purchased a package deal of several oil filters combined with crush washers and a wrench. The package was listed for both K1200GT and K1300GT's. The 1200 oil filter and the 1300 oil filter are different in size. The 1300 is about a 1/4" longer and a mm or two wider. The 1200 wrench supplied by this vendor will not fit on a 1300 filter.
The other thing I would add is that I had better luck lifting the oil filter up and out rather than trying to get it to drop down and out. Also on installation of the new filter it drops down and in. This was my experience anyway.

Thanks again Luis,

Don S

looks like y'all had the weather for staying INSIDE for sure!

Yeah I was considering cleaning the bike up for the shots but didn't want to take up the time

Luis
As usual, a very good job. It is appreciated.
The DIY'ers need to be careful on the oil filters. I purchased a package deal of several oil filters combined with crush washers and a wrench. The package was listed for both K1200GT and K1300GT's. The 1200 oil filter and the 1300 oil filter are different in size. The 1300 is about a 1/4" longer and a mm or two wider. The 1200 wrench supplied by this vendor will not fit on a 1300 filter.
The other thing I would add is that I had better luck lifting the oil filter up and out rather than trying to get it to drop down and out. Also on installation of the new filter it drops down and in. This was my experience anyway.

Thanks again Luis,

Don S

Don - thanks for the information about the filter sizes, I checked the parts fiche and the oil filters for the 1200 and 1300 are different.

I will update the DIY to make that note also mention the process for installing/removing the filter as I did the same thing. :thumb

Luis

Also thanks to Don for the info on the tool not fitting for the 1300's, I was just about to go order one after viewing the DIY. Great job Semper Fi. I am just coming up on my first change since the 600 service and was curious about specifics.

The old K100 oil filter wrench fits the 1300 filters...except that it is a bit too long where it covers the filter. The connect for the new bikes shifter was changed for 1300 and allowed more room for the filter (thus the new filter is longer...not sure if it is technically necsssary...probably just suppliers and cost again). Trouble is that the old filter tool from the K100, R1100/1150 bikes is a bit too long to get in there. The solution is to cut a bit off the old filter tool if you have one. Or use a strap filter removal tool.

My Jesse dual filter cup for oilheads/hexheads wouldn't fit, so I got some Lisle pliers from the auto parts. Works on our S's way better than the strap style I tried.

Attachments

• plier-filter-wrench.jpg
    plier-filter-wrench.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 70
Back