• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil Change KGT 1300

Semper_Fi

Honey Badger
The articles, posts and comments in this tech section are posted by individual members and reflect their personal thoughts and experiences with repairing, maintaining, and generally working on motorcycles. This information may require specific knowledge and skills, may or may not be correct or current to model.

The authors of information found here and the BMW MOA take no responsibility for ensuring the accuracy of any information (including procedures, techniques, parts numbers, torque values, tool usage, etc.), or further for any damage of any kind or injuries incurred or caused by anyone following the instructions or information found here.

It is the duty of the individual to either assume the liability himself for responsibly using the information found here, or to take the bike or accessory to a Dealer or other qualified professional service.

Lastly, please ensure you dispose of your used chemicals, oils and fuels in an environmentally responsible manner. Most Auto Parts stores and service stations will accept used oil and lubricants, tires and batteries, please check for your local availability.

A helpful link for waste recycling information is located here: http://earth911.com/

This article, text and photos are Copyright of the individual authors and the BMW MOA, any copying or redistributing is permitted only by prior written authorization.

This DIY will step you thru the process I used to change the engine oil of my bike. There are two important differences of how this is shown and how BMW does it.
  1. The first difference is that I used a vacuum extraction device (Mighty Vac?« 7400) to remove the oil from the oil tank; whereas BMW provides a drain tube to be snaked down to be gravity drained – I did not want to deal with the mess and time waiting for the oil to drain.
  2. The second difference is I did not remove the bracket to which the side-stand is mounted; instead I used an oil filter wrench from Max BMW?«, which allowed me to remove the filter by just using an open end wrench..

Scope of work – listed below are the main steps in replacing the oil on the bike

Oil Draining

• Remove lower skirt (clutch side and throttle side)
  • Drain oil from the engine
  • Drain oil from the oil tank
  • Remove oil filter
Oil Filling
  • Install drain plug
  • Install oil filter
  • Fill oil tank until dip stick shows Full
  • Start engine and let run for 20 seconds
  • Put the rest of the oil in the tank (total should be 3.5L)
  • Road test bike and check oil on return
  • Add oil as needed until dip stick shows full
  • Replace lower skirts on clutch and throttle side

Helpful Tools:
  • T25 Torx for the panel screws
  • 8mm Hex socket for the drain plug
  • Optional (but recommended)
    [*]Oil Filter wrench (Max BMW)​
    [*]17 mm combination wrench (for use on Oil Filter Wrench)​
    [*]Vacuum extraction device Mighty Vac?« 7400​

Materials:
I always use BMW Fluids and Filters – feel free to use what you want - references below are the part numbers I used
  • BMW Filter – 11427721779
    Important Note - the oil filter for the KGT 1200 (2004-8) is not the same as for the KGT 1300 - be aware when ordering
  • 4 Liters of BMW Oil – 83122153837 – per specification you will consume 3.5 liters
  • Oil Drain Plug Crush Washer - 07119963252

Last edited:
Bike Preparation - warm the oil to operating temperatures to facilitate the draining process.

CAUTION - as you work near and around the exhaust it may be hot

Put the bike on a firm and stable area to perform the work

Side Panel Removal

Starting on the clutch side for no specific reason - remove the 4 T-25 bolts securing the bottom skirt

Attachments

• 01 - Panel screws 1.jpg
    01 - Panel screws 1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 853
Last edited:
Detail of the 4th bolt by the side stand that needs to be removed

Attachments

• 03 - Panel Screws 2.jpg
    03 - Panel Screws 2.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 837
Throttle side lower panel removal - same as was done on the clutch side

Attachments

• 05 - Panel Screws 3.jpg
    05 - Panel Screws 3.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 832
Last edited:
The fourth screw for the right side panel

Attachments

• 06 - Panel Screws 4.jpg
    06 - Panel Screws 4.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 824
Last edited:
Removing the Panels

To remove the panels you need to pull out on the main side panels due their mechanical interface - you don't to pull much just enough to clear their connection points - described below is how they are set up.

The lower side panels are attached in the following manner.

• First you have slot and groove connections at three different locations.
  • Second you have a vertical slot and groove connection where the longer bolt is located on the panel.

The next couple of images show the slot and groove connections and the vertical slot and groove connection.

The picture belowshows where the slot and grooves are located (same for both sides):

Attachments

• 07 - knotch detail.jpg
    07 - knotch detail.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 827
Last edited:
The center support - please note that the main side panel was removed to show the mechanical connection

Attachments

• 09A - kd3.jpg
    09A - kd3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 824
Last edited:
Draining the Oil from the Engine

Now that the lower side panels are removed you can start draining the oil.

Located directly underneath the bike and between the middle exhaust pipes you can locate the drain plug.

It requires an 8mm Hex Allen to remove.

Attachments

• 10 - drain Plug detail.jpg
    10 - drain Plug detail.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 824
Put a suitable container to catch the waste oil and remove the drain plug

Note the debris collected on the drain plug.

Attachments

• 20 -  dp 3.jpg
    20 - dp 3.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 819
While the engine oil is draining clean the drain plug.

Once you clean the drain plug, you can see the crush washer. Remove and replace it with the new one

Attachments

• 22 - dp 4.jpg
    22 - dp 4.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 820
Last edited:
Put the cleaned oil drain plug with the new crush washer back into the engine block and torque it to 28Nm (20.6 ft-lbs)

Attachments

• 20-  dp 2.jpg
    20- dp 2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 604
Draining the Oil Tank

Here is one of the diversions from the BMW standard process.

I used a vacuum extractor device to drain the oil tank, instead of the provided (and slow) gravity drain

Attachments

• 13 - Fill and Drain plugs.jpg
    13 - Fill and Drain plugs.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:
To gain full access of the oil tank to be evacuated with the vacuum extrator I need to remove the cover/dipstick and the inner screen

Cover/Dipstick shown below

Attachments

• 14 - unscrew and remove.jpg
    14 - unscrew and remove.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 603
Last edited:
Insert the extraction device tube into the oil tank - pump up to develop vacuum

Attachments

• 17 - drain the tank 1.jpg
    17 - drain the tank 1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 606
Last edited: