• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ohio's Triple Nickel -- one way to Beemerville

Visian

look out!!!
OK, this is an experiment.

I've taken some comments made here on the forum, done a little web research, and have written an article about a road that sounds good to ride to the Rally.

Note: I have not ridden this road. This article is intended for publication in the BMW ON and/or the The Rally Website, depending on what the Rally Publicity Chair (hi Ray!) wants to do.

And... the article is intended to spur continued discussion here on the Forum.

The reason for the experiment? To illustrate how the discussion that starts here on the Forum can be repurposed and used on the Rally web site and in our magazine.

It took me about 3 hours to write this, research included. It's raining here in Atlanta today... and I had a good time taking this virtual ride.

Anyone who has ridden this road is free to fill in the blanks.

Please enjoy the article!

Ian

Last edited:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned how bad the pavement quality is on 555. Its covered with flocks of locusts as well.

jdiaz said:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned how bad the pavement quality is on 555. Its covered with flocks of locusts as well.

I've read of gravel, and some rough surfaces... is it really that bad?

And I think locusts come in hordes, not flocks.

Locusts... now there's a challenge I hadn't thought of! :p

Ian

Mr. Diaz, when was the last time you rode 555? I don't believe the pavement quality is bad. There are a few sections it is not the greatest, but of course these change over the years. I've been able to run it reasonably hard even in the rain, sure my tires slip a bit here anf there, but the surface has traction or I could not have done that. I also have not seen locust on the road.

Visian, The surface is not bad. You have to watch out for the cinders used on the shoulders. After a rain it washes out in the road in corners, at interescting roads some of which are dirt which can wash out too. Use caution.

The biggest issue is the off camber, suddenly bends just over a rise. Use a conservative entry speed until you can see all the way through the turn.

Picture this, you are coming over a sharp rise from among the trees, and are given no indication there is a 110 degree, off camber right hander just over the rise as you decend. You can't tell because the trees ended for a field which you are about to go around. This is the peril of 555. Warning is given just so you don't get bitten. It is a GREAT ride, enjoy.

I rode this road and a whole bunch more in the area this past July.

Bouncin Bobs comments hit the nail on the head. Off camber, sudden bends etc.

Southeast Ohio has lots of riding to offer. I spent the 4th of July camping at Burr Oak S.P., which is right along 555 & 78 near Ringgold. We never ran out of twisties!

gsjay

Burr Oak CG

Hey Jason, thanks for the info.

What was the state park like? Something worthwhile planning some time to walk around or fish? Or just a good overnight spot. I go for the primitive campsites.... less chance of motorhomes w/generators.

Any pics? (You, too, Bob & Jon...) I'd love to spruce up the article with more visual info.

Ian

Visian said:
Any pics? (You, too, Bob & Jon...) I'd love to spruce up the article with more visual info.

Ian

I might have some print pictures left. I had written an article for the Lancaster OH RA rally (they never p[ublished, turns out they gave the same assignment to about 4 people), they needed print pictures so I took plenty. I'll see if I have the negatives or duplicates, maybe even find the article I wrote.

Visian said:
Hey Jason, thanks for the info.

What was the state park like? Something worthwhile planning some time to walk around or fish? Or just a good overnight spot. I go for the primitive campsites.... less chance of motorhomes w/generators.

Ian

The campground is typical State Park, small sites close together, not very warm and friendly. But they do have a 200 room resort that is very nice with a good restaurant & lounge. They also have cabins for rent that are nice.
I'll look for some pictures this evening. I've got one of me and my GS sitting in a Coal bucket abandoned from some really big shovel! Neat picture.
jason

Not for the faint of heart

Last May, me and a buddy met two fellows from Eastern PA in Zanesville and took them down 555 to the river. It was typically rough, lots of gravel, and we even had a cow in the road at one point. When we stopped for gas in Marietta, one of the fellows made a comment about selling his bike and giving up riding. About a month later I saw the bike in the classifieds on the K12 forum. I hope his experience on 555 alone didn't turn him off of the sport! If you haven't ridden it before, you probably want to take it easy the first time. Other than that, it is an interesting road!

Whoops. Looks like we need to update that thread on attaching images. Under the submit reply button there is a box called additional options. In there is one for Attach Files. If you attach a graphic file it should display. :type

Attachments

• SNAG-0639.jpg
    SNAG-0639.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 872
BouncinBob said:
Mr. Diaz, when was the last time you rode 555? I don't believe the pavement quality is bad. There are a few sections it is not the greatest, but of course these change over the years. I've been able to run it reasonably hard even in the rain, sure my tires slip a bit here anf there, but the surface has traction or I could not have done that. I also have not seen locust on the road.
Geez Bob, I thought my tongue-in-cheek comment was obvious enough for even a finance guy to recognize. Locusts? :D

Thanks for the pic!

gsjay said:
My first image post, this is the bucket off of Big Muskie. It's now a roadside attraction along Rt. 78 in S.E. Ohio
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/OHCUMmuskie.html

Thanks Jason, for the pic and the pointer. I will use the information to add to the article. Would you mind if I put the pic in your article? If not, could you please e-mail me a larger copy of the pic so that I can crop and scale? ians@bellsouth.net

Ian

... some new info

Jeez. This ride is sounding better and better.

In talking with some of the people that work at some of the places mentioned in the article, I'm learning of some other stuff do and see, and another place for people who are ground challenged to stay.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Can't wait to ride this road.

Ian

Last edited:
I too rode 555 last August and have to say I really don't think I would want to again....blind hills , poor pavement, gravel in spots, 2 deer, 1 flock of turkeys and a big pooch was enough for me. I've ridden the Gap,Ga 60, 180 , 28 from NC to GA and all were much better roads. I drove 2 laners all the way from Illinois to ride this road and have to say I was rather dissapointed....but at the end of the 555 is W Va...and roads don't get much better anywhere

gezerbike said:
I too rode 555 last August and have to say I really don't think I would want to again....blind hills , poor pavement, gravel in spots, 2 deer, 1 flock of turkeys and a big pooch was enough for me. I've ridden the Gap,Ga 60, 180 , 28 from NC to GA and all were much better roads.

Those roads are my home turf, and you're right, they don't get much better than that. We're blessed here with low gas prices *and* good roads. It's a combination of a DOT with its head on straight and moderate weather.

The comments you make about 555 are why I want to ride it. Challenges are fun, but they're not for everyone.

FWIW, I don't know how many times I slipped on gravel when riding around WV. But, for the quality of the riding, it's worth it!

YMMV.

Ian

Back