• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Route Recommendation: Topeka KS to Clayton NM

JohnM

I'm planning my journey to Redmond, via San Diego where my daughter lives. My route includes a one-day haul from Topeka to Clayton. (If you're thinking "Why that route?", I've never ridden in TX or OK, and US-56 will allow me to pass through both ... just nicking the corner of the Texas panhandle.)

Looks like I can take either (1) I-70 west to KS-156, then US-56, or (2) Kansas Turnpike to Wichita, then US-54 until at some point I jump over to US-56.

Admittedly, this leg of my journey will probably be boring, but I'd prefer less traffic along the way. Option #1 to me seems the better choice.

Thoughts appreciated.

JohnM

Last edited:
To cut down on the boredom, West of Topeka, get off 70 onto either 99 at Alma and wind over via Hwy 4 to KS177 or pick up 177 in Manhattan. This will have you riding down through the Flinthills to Hwy 50 at Strong City. Take Hwy 50 West to Hwy 150 just West of Elmdale. 150 takes you due West to 56. They are all good roads with minimal traffic. Hwy 4 will take you West through some nice country if you decide to stay on it.

Western Kansas gets a lot flatter than here in the Flinthills, but you can make good time. I've ridden this route several times. It is my favorite path to go play in NM. I've never had a problem with LEO's as long as I kept it reasonable; 8mph over.

Tom

Tom:

Thanks for the suggestions. Following your lead, it looks like I could ride from Strong City to Newton, Hutchinson, Pratt, Meade, and Hugoton, and still maintain an overall southwesterly direction down to NM.

I'm also going to leave my radar detector at home, which will prod me into riding more conservatively.

JohnM

Hey John...

I've ridden the pan handle of Oklahoma. The route you are talking about taking, I'm not sure you can call that riding through Texas... Texas, i hate to admit (I'm an okie) deserves more respect then that.

This is way off route but the ride from Boise City, OK (pronounced Boys City) on Ok 325 is way more interesting as you will pass one of the most amazing rides in Oklahoma, Black Mesa. If you then take NM 456 to Capulin NM you will go by Capulin Volcano National Monument, which would be a shame to miss if you were driving that way anyways. NM 456 has about 17 miles of dirt road, and is so friggin beautifully remote. Clayton, has an old bar, but other then that.... hmmmmm.... if you don't believe me go to google maps and click on terrain.

Black Mesa is the highest point in Oklahoma, but really is the beginning of a mountain range that is primarily in New Mexico.

I ran across herds of antelope several times on this route. It is rural america, remote and beautiful in the western way but without the flat expanses of asphalt. This whole area has a way-out there low population, less traveled feel, that in my opinion is wonderful even if it flat.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Pete in OKC

I agree with Pete as to the beauty of the area he recommends.

If you take Hwy 50 to the SW instead of going West through McPhearson on 150, you will have much more truck traffic and more traffic in general.

If you are planning this trip for late June/early July, I would suggest staying in the higher elevations as long as you can. The desert is going to be very hot! I don't know if you've ridden in 110 degree heat with 10% humidity, but for me, it is like riding through an oven. Carry plenty of water!
Tom

The routes they gave you through Kansas are great. Couple of differences- take I 70 to exit 342, Keene-Eskridge Rd. Go south till the road dead ends at highway 4. Turn right and take the road to Eskridge. Stop at the Waugh Bank in Eskridge and ask Charlie Waugh for a tour. Its a complete 1890's bank unchanged since it was originally built. Follow K-4 out past Lake Wabaunsee (German POW Camp in WWII) and follow K-4 till it T's into 99. Turn left and follow this till it runs into K-177 and then south to Council Grove and Strong City. Stop and see Cottonwood Falls- the town and then on west on the routes already mentioned. Be certain to include Mullinville on your ride- one of the great folk artists in the USA has his stuff on display along the road. http://webpages.charter.net/dnance/concpark/mullinville.htm

The Gypsum Hills south of Meade,Kansas are really beautiful.
Maybe you won't find Kansas so boring!

Just want to express my appreciation for all of the options offered.

I agree that Clayton NM isn't the best destination. But I 'm using it as a jump-off to Taos, then Pagosa Springs.

John, if you want, PM me and I'll send you my cell number in case you need it while in this area. My listing in the Anonymous Book has my old number.

Have a great trip!:wave
Tom

Kansas is Beautiful

Yes, I can say that honestly. I used to cover MO, KS and CO in a previous job. That meant I drove across Kansas about twice a month!! While there are lots of open areas without trees, I never found it lacking in it's own special beauty!!

Check out this thread from ADVrider, great pictures and maybe some route ideas for you:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499369&highlight=kansas

Hwy 50 is a great ride. One caution.....lots of cattle trucks run that route, especially in the Dodge City/Garden City area. Don't follow close or you could have a little green "mist" on your windshield/face shield.....yep, those cows just can't hold it any longer!!!

If you have time, the little local museums scattered across Kansas are real interesting....if you're into that kind of stuff.

Clayton is beautiful....as is the rest of northeastern NM.....big rolling plains with some great volcanic remnants and the start of the mountains. If you get northwest of there a little, hit Hwy 12 (the Scenic Hwy of Legends), that runs west and north of Trinidad, CO (right at the NM/CO state line on I-25). Beautiful ride!!! Well, all of southern Colorado is the most scenic place in the country, in my biased opinion!!

Have a great trip!!!

piperjim

Back