• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The noise, the noise

I can't imagine that I am alone in suffering from some pretty extreme wind buffeting noise on my 07 GT. Without earplugs the bike is darn near unrideable at any thing over 30MPH and even with good quality plugs in place the noise is still obnoxious. I'm just wondering if any of you wise folks out there have come up with any ideas to mitigate this howling concern. Thanks

I would imagine others have solved your issue with aftermarket windscreens. I don't find the wind noise objectionable on my '09 GT, but then again I ride with stereo earplugs and music, so I have something other than wind to listen to...

Nothing makes it go away, not adjusting the windshield, specifically? Are you still using the original windshield? What is your height and inseam length?

Gilly

The noise

Stock windshield, windshield, seat or handlebar height adjustments make very little difference to the noise level which is so loud that it even drowns out music from sound isolating earphones. I'm about 6' with a 33" inseam. If I knew that an after market would help I would not hesitate to get one but am hesitant to order sight unseen.

Interesting!

I'm 6'4" with a 31" inseam, so I may sit a little higher above the windshield than you. I had major buffeting issues on my previous ride, an '04 RT, and replaced the windshield immediately after my first multi-day ride. I really haven't had any issues on the '07 KGT at all with regards to wind buffeting noise, but it's all relative / subjective.

Having solved the issue on the RT with a new windscreen, that's what I would suggest here. I used an Aeroflow (www.aeroflowscreens.com) on the RT and had a very positive experience. No idea on what's good for the KGT, though. I'm sure there are some "passionate" opinions out there - anyone? Let me know what you go with.

I ride a Shoei X-Eleven helmet, by the way, which probably doesn't make much of a difference.

Stats: I'm 6'-6" with a 35" inseam. I ride with the handlebars all the way down/forward and the windshield all the way up, wearing a full helmet.
The wind is so calm around my face that I leave the visor open unless I'm on a freeway or there is sand blowing in the wind.
This combination on the '10 GT has the best wind/noise management I have yet experienced.
BTW, the slight forward lean cancels the back's natural tendency to slouch when sitting upright. I have a lot of spine to take care of, and that is what it likes best.

Wind Noise

I also have noticed the higher noise on my 07 GT. I'm 6'1" with 33" inseam
I find that if I lower the screen the noise will subside, but you have that accerated wind stress on the neck after awhile.
Since I'm planning some longer trips I have purchased a Laminar Lip and will be doing some tests to see if that'll work.
Just have to wait for the salt to be washed off the roads from our winter up here.
I used to have a Hannigan Fairing a couple of bikes ago and could ride without plugs and an open faced helmet. Longest trip was 4000 km (2500 miles).
If I put my hand up to the windshield (ala the Hannigan) the wind noise drops dramatically, so I'm hoping that the laminar Lip will be the answer.
I'll post my results in a few weeks as I am looking for an answer as well.

Windnoise & the Laminar Lip

I finally got the Laminar lip on the 07 GT today.
I used pieces of wool taped to the windshield and then the lip to see the difference and to maximize the protection.
What a difference as there is noticibly less turbulance with the lip than without.
The wool was going straight and no side movements with the lip and was kinda all over the place without.
I ended up putting it about an inch higher than the windshield (BMW tall) and can ride without earplugs in the city (it's that much quieter, but not as good as the LT's, or my old Hannigan) and with my faceshied open.
There is still noise, but I can find a sweet spot near the top and I'm still looking over it and not through it. I'm just under 6'1" with a 33 inseam, but a little taller in the saddle since Rick Mayer redid my seat over Christmas.
Went for 5 little rides... I taped it on to adjust the height yesterday then secured it & let it cure for 24 hours.
No problems over 140 kph (90 mph) and did encounter some strong sidewinds. Not sure if the lip affected the bike, but I did get pushed around by the wind (probably would've been the same without the lip I suspect, but didn't verify that fact).
I did get caught in the rain, but it didn't last long enough to make any judgements (I put on my rain gloves, so it stopped right away). You know it would've rained 'til I got home if I'd forgotten them!
I'm going to Americade in June (about a 12 hour ride) and will report if there's anything different.
I'm happy with the $80.00 purchase although some may think it's unsightly, but that little plexiglass top on the Hannigan Fairings aren't pretty either, but they work.
A lot less of an investment than an aftermarket windshield.

For me the aeroflow windshield (tall only!) solved the problem completely. Nice and quiet. I am 6' 1" with a 34" inseam

The Noise

Thanks Overkill, just back from an extended ride.
There's really only 1 setting ... fully up & then only up to about 120 kph (75 mph) after that it does get noisy.
Hit an indicated 200 kph and the bike was rock solid as usual.
It does take the pressure of the neck and in cleaner air.
Was quiet enough at reasonable speeds to actually hear the tires and gear whine which was a 1st for me.
Thanks for your input as it looks like Aeroflow tall will be my next step.
I'm looking for that LT envelope with the GT ferocity.
These forums are great for the info instead of the old trial and too many error methods.
Thanks.

My solution...

... to the noise issue on my 2009 K13GT was to install Aeroflow wind thingies on the fairing to make a wider hole as I'm riding along and a Cee Bailey's 2" taller windscreen.
I am about 6'1" with a 33" inseam and sit rather tall in the saddle. When the bike was new the wind noise was unbearable for anything longer than 10 minutes. And I ALWAYS wear plugs. Since the upgrades to the aerodynamics of the bike I can ride all day long as fast as I want with or without plugs - with plugs is always preferable - and I have no problems at all. And with the Cee Bailey's I raise the shield only a few inches to acheive the required wind reduction.
It's the best combination for me. Functional and looks good too.
You can see the setup in the section: "Post a picture of your Wedge"

Try this first, stuff two rags under your helmet below your ears, there might be a helmet issue, if not windscreen replacement...matthew,,, my 2cents worth

Installing a Laminar Lip on my "M" CLC windscreen pushed the turbulent air over my helmet and allowed me to hear my radio clearly upto 60mph.
Ride Safe :usa :usa

Good advice about the rags...

I just bought a new helmet; same as before, a Shoei Multitec. There would be a direct comparison if ever there was one between new and old. As the helmet's lining wears in, the sound that it would allow to get to the ears would be ever so slowly increasing. Put on a brand new helmet and get a direct comparison between old and new. When I wore the new helmet for its first time the noise reduction was quite noticeable. So many factors add up to a noisy or quiet ride.

The helmet noise, Once I had a helmet that was noisy, found out thru trial and error that when i pushed on my helmet under the ear area 90% of the noise dissapeared, I had my wife look and sure enough there was a gap 1/4 inch under the ear area, a small air gap, the size of a pencil head,,we stuffed the helmet with foam till contact and what an improvement, on a shoei rf 1000....FYI

I just saw this thread for the first time today, so this may not help the original poster, but... I had the same problem and resolved it by accident late last year when I added a Helmet Super-Visor to my Arai Profile face shield. I was trying to get relief from the low angle October sun (and did) but was also amazed that it got rid of the noise/buffeting problem I had on my 07 GT. I can now ride with the windshield in any position without noise or buffeting whereas previously I always had to keep the windshield at it's lowest setting to get reasonably clean air. For about $20, it has solved the problem and made the bike much more enjoyable. As a side note, I found that the noise was reduced on my other bikes as well, even though I hadn't thought it to be a problem on those bikes. For reference, I am 6'1" and have a 34" inseam.

I don't know anything else about the company, but it seems like a good product at a fair price.
http://www.super-visor.com/

Back