• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New member in Chicago area

LMIWA156120

I recently acquired a very nice 2004 R1150RT that I will be using while serving as a motoref / marshal for bicycle races, as well as just generally riding for fun.

It's been a few years since I've owned a motorcycle and it's good to be back!

Attachments

• Right front sm.jpg
    Right front sm.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 87
Welcome

I also got a new to me 2004 RT and got back into riding after a 30 year distraction called kids. I love the bike and I know you will also.
Ken Denton

I also ride a R-1150-RT. If you haven't rode in a while, take a little time to get use to the brakes. Once you get use to them, especially, at slow, below 10mph, you will have no problem. Nice looking bike. I was a motol-ref a few years ago for a 1/2 trialathon. Had a blast. Good luck with the bike.:thumb

How do you get to be a moto-ref? That's one of those things that I see at every marathon and bike race, but I've never thought about how the people who did it got into it. Pretty cool! :thumb

BTW, great color for the 1150RT! And those hardbags look spotless!

becoming a motoref

Grant,

Thanks for the compliments on the bike. The previous owner took REALLY good care of it. There doesn't seem to be a single boot scuff on it and it's never been dropped.

Becoming a motoref depends on the sport. Motos are used for running, triathlon, and bicycle races. However, each sport has its own officiating organization (very different rules). I come from a bicycle racing background and became a bicycle race official a while back when my oldest son got serious about bicycle racing. This past winter, USAC (www.usacycling.org) offered a motoref course. To qualify, you must already be a licensed official and then you can take the course/exam to add the motoref category.

Some races also use marshals (riders that are not licensed officials) to lead races. They usually serve the same purpose as a pace car. Others are used for driving camera crews.

Should be a fun season. We'll see how it goes!

Thanks,
Loch

Welcome to the gang!

I'm in Woodstock... give a heads up if you find yourself going out this way and I'll spring for a cup-o-joe. :drink

Back