Thread: Advice on after market ESA shocks

Advice on after market ESA shocks

Anyone had experience replacing ESA shock on a R1200RT with either Wilbers, Hyperpro, or Ohlins unit?

I checked into it with Hyperpro and Wilburs. Both required the electric motor part of your old BMW shock to be transferred to the new unit. Klaus at Hyperpro convinced me that the Hyperpro was the better unit for many reasons (he sells both, too). He said that Hyperpro will have a complete unit available probably this Summer.

If the Hyperpro motor unit fails, he then could get parts. If your BMW motro unit fails, you'd have to find a used one and then pay to have it put on the current Hyperpro shock. So, I'm waiting for the new HPs.

Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Advice on ESA after market shock

Thanks. Just so I understand this properly, are you saying that so long as you re-use the BMW motor unit, both Hyperpro and Wilbers can supply a shock for the R1200RT?

Yes, you send in your old shock and Klaus will remove the motor unit and put it on the HP or Wilbur unit. But again, HP will have a complete unit soon.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

I might be mistaken on the Wilburs. You can call Klaus at Hyperpro and talk to him. He's a good guy. If you learn more, let us know. I last spoke to him in November and decided to wait.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350