• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ouch!

gambrinus

$475!?!? Well bend me over and call me Sally! I have been thinking about adding heated grips to my 96 R1100R but just discovered that it is the most expensive model on the planet to do this certain upgrade on. Other bikes in the high $100s to Low $200s...fine. But $475?!? New Bars required? Argh! Has anyone had success in adding some "aftermarket" or generic heated grips to this beast? I may just add some heated gloves to my Gerbings set up and be on my way....

RW

dual star

gambrinus,

I (with some help) installed Dual Star heating elements on my handlebars recently.

I received my set as a birthday present :newtoy but they list on the Dual Star site for $29.95. The grips used with GS handguards keep my hands comfortable even on the highway.

It took about 3 hours but my helper and I were yakking pretty much the whole time. :blah

Here is a link to the page - if it doesn't work go to www.dual-star.com

Dual-Star Heated Grip Kit

gambrinus said:
$475!?!? Well bend me over and call me Sally! I have been thinking about adding heated grips to my 96 R1100R but just discovered that it is the most expensive model on the planet to do this certain upgrade on. Other bikes in the high $100s to Low $200s...fine. But $475?!? New Bars required? Argh! Has anyone had success in adding some "aftermarket" or generic heated grips to this beast? I may just add some heated gloves to my Gerbings set up and be on my way....

RW

Ah. Aluminum bars? is that why? I think I remember this problem before, the bike needs to get new bars so the heat can be transferred. Perhaps this is why? :dunno

boxergrrlie said:
gambrinus,

I (with some help) installed Dual Star heating elements on my handlebars recently.

I received my set as a birthday present :newtoy but they list on the Dual Star site for $29.95. The grips used with GS handguards keep my hands comfortable even on the highway.

It took about 3 hours but my helper and I were yakking pretty much the whole time. :blah

Here is a link to the page - if it doesn't work go to www.dual-star.com

Dual-Star Heated Grip Kit

Dual Stars work great. I've had a pair very much like them (by Kimpex, the snowmobile people) on my VFR for 6 years.

You might also want to try rounding up used parts. I'd bet the most expensive part of the purchase will be the bars and if you buy used, you shouldn't pay more than half of the original part's price. We've seen some links posted here for used parts, I think Re-Psycle is one of them.

Also, if you're intent on new, you might want to try MotoBins and see what they have for pricing. They're in England, but I understand parts delivery is quick.

Wow that is a lot of dough. I have a buddy with the Gerbing gloves & he has trouble regulating the heat evenly between the jacket & gloves.

This is just one example, so you may have success with this option.

Grey Matter said:
I have a buddy with the Gerbing gloves & he has trouble regulating the heat evenly between the jacket & gloves.

Good reason for the dual controller. Quite a few, but not all, have this complaint. I have heard the same complaint from Widder users too.

Gloves, not grips

I've used both and, for my money, heated gloves are the better choice. Here's why:
1. They're invariably less expensive.
2. They do a much better job of keeping your entire hand warm, not just the palm.
3. They, at least the ones from Gerbing, let you control the temperature and dial in just the right amount of heat.
4. If and when you sell your bike, you don't lose your investment - just plug them in on your new bike.

Gerbings liners

My Rt does not have heated grips ( stupid, the bike was bought in Wisconsin ) so I thought I'd try the Gerbings liners for $ 80. Their leather gloves just don't offer any feel so I bought the liners and they fit under my 3 season rain gloves and really do the trick. They put the heat on the back of the hand, where the wind hits...and if you didn't likem, you'd sell them in a minute with very little loss. Just buy them on the tight side

I haven't seen a resource for the glove liners. A co-worker is interested. Any guidance to find them appreciated. Checked the Gerbing site and the only thing they list is the gloves. No glove liner shown on the site.

You can call them at their 800 # and I am sure they can help you...they're great with customer service.....as to the liners, I picked mine up at the Falling Leaf rally the past October for $ $80. They are thin cotton gloves with the wiring exposed on the back side of the hand. I've worn them under several different pair of gloves and they seem to work fine. Another advantage is they pack small vs their regular monster heated gloves. And they are $ 60 less. I have heated grips on my RRS and to be honest I have not found them to be very warn in either setting so this was the reason I went this route vs just buying heated grips for the RT.

The Gerbing heated glove

I have the Gerbing jacket liner and heated gloves. With temps in the 30's, the jacket keeps me toasty. The gloves are lined with Thermolite and are so warm that I haven't plugged them in yet. But they are thick and bulky as previously mentioned.

Back