• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Chris Peris to compete in balance of AMA SBK with S1000RR

mika

Still Wondering

Chris Peris To Compete With S1000RR
Today, March 07, 2010, 6 hours ago | Adam Arcane
Evan Steel Performance and Iron Horse BMW recently tested the BMW S1000RR Superbike in Arizona. The purpose of the test was to determine the competitiveness of the new BMW Superbike in the AMA American Superbike class.

Like many teams going into the 2010 racing season, ESP was forced to suspend their racing efforts due to a lack of budget. Not wanting to watch the entire AMA series from home, the team started looking at other partnerships and opportunities that could see them participate in a few AMA Superbike rounds. That search brought them together with John and Jennifer Cartwright of Iron Horse Motorcycles, a Tucson, Arizona BMW dealer.

Iron Horse BMW was looking to race one of their BMW S1000RR motorcycles to prove it's track worthiness to the local racer and track day crowd, a group of enthusiasts who might have overlooked the BMW in their search for a new ride. According to Cartwright, "we have this great new product in the BMW S1000RR and we were looking for a way to introduce the bike to the sportbike crowd who may have never set foot inside a BMW dealer before."

Cartwright rode an S1000RR across town to the ESP shop to inquire about taking one of his demo bikes to a track day. That conversation led to Evan Steel calling up former ESP rider Chris Peris to come down to a ÔÇÿTake it to the Track' event at the brand new Inde Motorsports Park in Wilcox, Arizona. Peris was familiar with the track, having set the motorcycle lap record there in recent months with a time of 1:55.60 on his AMA Superstock spec.--VIR podium finishing-- GSXR1000.

The day of the test, Peris rode a bone stock BMW S1000RR, complete with headlights and all street equipment- minus the mirrors and passenger footpegs. The only performance enhancing equipment fitted to the bike was a set of racing slicks. In the first 15 lap session, Peris was getting a feel for the motorcycle and how it reacted when he turned up the pace. By the fifth lap of his second session, he bested the lap record by over a second, turning a 1:54.07.

Evan Steel Speaks...

"The bike was hugely impressive for a stock machine, the fact that Chris was able to lap faster on it than on his race bike is incredible!" Chris added, "Wow. I've never ridden one of these new BMW's before, I can't believe I went faster on a stock bike with headlights, then I did on my own personal racebike. I can't wait to ride it after the ESP boys turn it into more of a racebike."

Based on the strength of their first outing with the BMW S1000RR, Iron Horse Motorcycles and ESP have decided to join forces, creating Team Iron Horse BMW/ ESP for the upcoming AMA Superbike race in Fontana with Chris Peris riding. Although the team would like to contest the remaining AMA Superbike rounds, the budget is not currently in place. Team Iron Horse BMW/ ESP is actively seeking sponsorship to campaign as many additional AMA rounds as possible in 2010.
Original post blogged on b2evolution.

Back