• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Comparison of RT to GT

Well, I guess my comment would be to repeat a saying by Peter Egan, "It's funner to drive a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow". Yes if you feel the handling is better on the RT and can utilize the power band better (and can really wring it out) I can see where you think the RT is the better machine. My position is that in a comparison ride, using the same rider (timed test) who is competent on both machines, the GT is gonna have RT for breakfast.
Gilly

Last edited:
Well, I guess my comment would be to repeat a saying by Peter Egen, "It's funner to drive a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow". Yes if you feel the handling is better on the RT and can utilize the power band better (and can really wring it out) I can see where you think the RT is the better machine. My position is that in a comparison ride, using the same rider (timed test) who is competent on both machines, the GT is gonna have RT for breakfast.
Gilly

I simply think it may depend on the course, on one extreme there is a course like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in3_aJbpkA0

The clutch

Maybe I'm the only one who finds this important, but I was never able to love the dry clutch in the R series.
When riding two up, add a stop sign and a little uphill grade, it was a real problem. With the KGT, it's as effortless as the truck with an automatic trany.

I had the 90,000+ miles on my old K75, and 7 or 8000 on the GT, I wouldn't say the clutch feel is all that remarkable, they both feel fine to me. No clutch spline lubing to worry about on the GT is a nice thing though. Although I don't know what all the talk is about on the GT about clutch judder? I haven't experienced it. ALTHOUGH I don't think there is a difference between the GT and the K75 so maybe my hands fall asleep and I don't know it:wave

Last edited:
Yeah, now yer talkin'.
The white lines coming at you, looking like bullets in some kind of a space video game, looks vaguely familiar.
Gilly

Dragonslayer

It looks like there's a lot of good advise on the two bikes. I've own a '04 RT; '06 RT and '07GT. All three are different. The GT is a little harder to drive on twisty roads (what I would call oversteer) and the RT lack of power works well for me in this situtation. The GT is a Rocket and I get 10% better fuel mileage on it? On long trips we take the GT. In the mountains the RT has my vote. One caution, early (some) GT models '06 / '07 had a "skip" at low rpm's requiring a factory replacement of the airbox and a wiring (short) in the throttle. I had both, took months to find the short and two dealers but all is well now.

To choose between these two bikes, you have to decide what your priorities are. If your goal is to be able go really fast on a bike that can also tour fairly comfortably, then the GT is a better bike than an FJR, Concours, or possibly even the new Honda 1200 V4. If your goal is touring on a comfortable bike that's quite peppy and light-handling, then the RT is your bike. They're aimed at two different riders, IMO. In '07 when I was trying to decide between them, I test-rode both. I'm 6'2", 225 lbs, 33" inseam. My goal was touring. I ended up going with the RT. For me, it's just more comfortable (roomier, more upright seating) to be on. Given that it's slower than the GT, is it fast enough? Well, when already moving in the tallish 1st gear, if I roll the throttle open I'm unable to keep the front wheel on the ground. Frankly, this is more horsepower than I require in a touring bike. The comments about the dry clutch are valid, and this is my only complaint about the RT. I did get used to it after a while, but it was quite a chore after the butter-smooth wet clutch and pavement-rippling off-idle torque of my Harley. Having said this, the RT transmission actually seemed a bit smoother than that of the GT. The boxer engine is plenty smooth and quite frugal, with fuel economy in the low-to-mid 50s at a steady 75 mph! Maintenance is relatively simple, and easily accomplished by me in my garage with little or no removal of tupperware. My wife is very comfortable on the RT, but didn't ride the GT with me so we don't know on that score. The GT is heavier (and feels it), yet it will carry less weight. It is thirstier, yet it will carry less gas. It is more complex, in general, and valve adjustments on the engine will be more difficult, though IIRC, there is no throttle sync to deal with as there is on the RT. I mention these differences only to point out that you may need to deal with some additional stuff if you really want that GT power. GTs are stunning bikes, but the RT suited us better and we're really happy with it. YMMV...

Back