• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help with R25/2 Rocker Cover Removal

Liaison
Staff member
Does anyone have experience removing the rocker covers on the R25/2 or R25/3? I am having trouble getting the intake or rear cover off. It contacts the upper frame and doesn't allow enough tilt or rotation to get up and over the rocker blocks. I've looked at this dozens of ways and have gotten suggestions from others, all of which have not panned out. Here's a working picture:

Tilted1.jpg

My frame doesn't appear to be bent. I made a measurement directly in line with the valve cover stud. I measured from the top of the head (not the raised edge which the valve covers and gaskets sit on) to the underside of the upper backbone. I measured 105mm. I'd be curious if anyone can make a similar measurement for a similar bike. I'm not sure the R26 or R27 are the same geometry.

At this point, I'm down to two options. Remove the valve cover stud...double nut it and turn it out; or lower the engine. The former is much easier to do, but that just seems wrong to have to do. I know BMW didn't design it this way.

Thanks for any insight...

Final Results

I have found that the distance between my lower motor mount and the location where the tank connects to the support at the rear are about 0.5 inches less than two other R25/2 bikes. This slight bow in the lower frame rail has reduced the clearance making it impossible for me to remove the rear valve cover. My short term solution will be to remove the valve cover stud using a double-nut affair. When I take the bike down for slinger cleaning, I'll consider what to do at that point.

Nathan -

A theory might be that when transported, the centerstand could have been down and when hitting bumps, could have induced forces into the frames.

As I think about this, there is a possibility that I may have done this, unknowingly. I did bring it back in a van, but I didn't use the centerstand. I had a series of 4x4 pieces of wood that were interlocked and snugged up against the wheels. Each set in the front and back had longer 4x4s to the side, like outriggers. I used these outriggers to pull the suspension down for transportation. I recall that the 4x4 that went in front of the rear wheel was very close. So, it's possible that when hitting some bumps along the way, the bike sagged on the supension and hit the 4x4.

I'll check the 4x4 in question and look at that area of the frame, on the underside and around it.

The other possibility is that it came this way to me. I picked the bike up at Autobahn Craftwerks in Cincinnati. I called them back to get some help with my problem because I recall hearing that they had set the valve clearances. If they had, then I was interested in how they got the cover off. The owner was a little defensive on the phone. Could be he knew something or could be he just doesn't remember or could be they didn't actually check the valve clearances.

So, it's a bit up in the air. I'll check the frame to see if I can see any evidence from me transporting the bike.

Back