• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Qeustions about the re-vamped forum

J

James.A

Hello everyone, What's the story behind the little "scales-o-justice" icon?
Also, my blue line doesn't have the "report bad post" icon, does that mean I have immunity?

woodnsteel said:
Hello everyone, What's the story behind the little "scales-o-justice" icon?
Also, my blue line doesn't have the "report bad post" icon, does that mean I have immunity?

Greetings,

The "scales-o-justice" icon is a feature that allows folks to provide "feedback" on the author. There is a small green box, if you click on this it may say "woodnsteel is on a distinguished road", or "Woodnsteel is neither positive or negative". This is a feature of the upgrade which we decided to leave on.

The report a bad post icon is now the red triangle in the upper right corner.

Best,

To me, reporting someone's post to a moderator is like running to the teacher and saying "tommy said this" or "flash did that". It is the moderator's job to deal with the posts, and if they are doing their job, (which they do rather well) they will see and deal with it without anyone running to them. I bet this post gets me a triangle.

Here's how the "reputation" thing works.

You read someone's post and you like it, you click the scales and click on the I approve button. Alternatively, if you think they were being a dimwitted imbecile, you click on the "I disapprove" button.

I'm not sure whether we should leave it or not, but I figured it would be fun to play around with for a while. As a user accumulates more and more positive or negative points, their reputation changes. If you have a negative reputation, the dot is red, if you have a positive reputation, the dot is green.

But basically, it's a peer review system. We're open to discussion on this, of course.

personally I don't care for the voting. If you don't like what I write, pm me or respond. Sounds like a grade school deal.
Mark

flash412 said:
Cool. So please explain how I have negative forty-nine reputation points out with only five "votes." One was positive and four were negative. Is this like when you collect 100 "attaboys" at work to earn a free cuppa coffee, but one "awshit" wipes them all out? No matter how I do the math, four negative votes and one postive vote don't add up to negative forty-nine. Two of the negatives were for one post.

The User Control Panel only shows a defined number of the most recent comments. So the board does the math but prunes the amount it displays. This parameter is set by the moderators. So if you have a suggestion for how many should be displayed, please let us know.

Just how EXACTLY do reputation points get added and subtracted; how many points per vote, per post, etc.?

Do Admin votes count extra?

I am not sure how many points per votes, there are lots of settings on that section, so I will let one of the configuration guys answer that part.

---snip---

Last time I checked, zero is not a positive number. Why do zero votes yield a positive reputation? (If you ain't said squat, you don't HAVE a reputation, imho.)

Good point, for the computer it has to have something assigned to it. The response should be "PERSON not positive or negative".

I'm not complaining that I have a red ball. I don't care if I'm the resident "bad boy" here for raising all the tough issues. I'd just like to know if this thing is working or if it is broken (or "fixed") to start with. Thanks!

I can understand that.

scales-o-justice

Well Loraz, I see you got your triangle. Now I'm gonna get mine. I asked a question, and got an answer. Splendid, done deal. Then comes Flash 412, seeing an opportunity to sling s#!t, he gets right down to slinging s#!t. I should have known.

Last edited:
And is it only me, or...

Man, this thing is slow now. I am glad I finally went to DSL, because now this thing is slower than when I was on dial up. I suppose, if you're on dial up, you could go make a snack while you wait, or start an oil change.

I feel like I need to become an Egyptologist to understand all the icons everywhere. This might be a little too cute for efficiency.

Think I'll go push Flash's button a few times. Nice to know your vote counts somewhere.

Oh, yeah, I figured out how to update my "favorite" for "search results = new posts since last visit" but the results pages no longer show the "mark all read" button; I finally found that button by going to the main forum page.

Montana said:
Oh, yeah, I figured out how to update my "favorite" for "search results = new posts since last visit" but the results pages no longer show the "mark all read" button; I finally found that button by going to the main forum page.

Check out the links under the Quick Links both the "New Posts" and "Mark All Read" are there.

woodnsteel said:
Well Loraz, I see you got your triangle. Now I'm gonna get mine. I asked a question, and got an answer. Splendid, done deal. Then comes Flash 412, seeing an opportunity to sling s#!t, he gets right down to slinging s#!t. I should have known. Now your'e USING me. Your'e a cheap shot artist and your'e USING me. God, I hate being used.

The triangle is how you report a post. We're working on a couple skins you'll be able to choose from.

Thanks, Brad, it's great to know where the "mark forums read" hides, although it's right there at the bottom of the main forum list. The "new posts" is only useful if you're already here. The favorite is what I use to get here, that's why it's called "favorite."

flash412 said:
Cool. So please explain how I have negative forty-nine reputation points out with only five "votes." One was positive and four were negative. Is this like when you collect 100 "attaboys" at work to earn a free cuppa coffee, but one "awshit" wipes them all out? No matter how I do the math, four negative votes and one postive vote don't add up to negative forty-nine. Two of the negatives were for one post.

Just how EXACTLY do reputation points get added and subtracted; how many points per vote, per post, etc.?

Do Admin votes count extra?

Anybody else wanna look at their scores and post how many points they have with how many +/- votes on how many posts?

Last time I checked, zero is not a positive number. Why do zero votes yield a positive reputation? (If you ain't said squat, you don't HAVE a reputation, imho.)

I'm not complaining that I have a red ball. I don't care if I'm the resident "bad boy" here for raising all the tough issues. I'd just like to know if this thing is working or if it is broken (or "fixed") to start with. Thanks!

Here's how reputations work.

• Everybody starts with 10 points.
  • If you have no rating, you get called "not positive or negative"
  • You'll only see the last 5 votes on you in your control panel, though this is configurable to another value.
  • Admins give two points for a click, registered users give 1, though additional points can be earned by registered users
  • for every year a user is on the forum, they get one more point of reputation altering power.
  • For every 1000 posts, users get 1 point of reputation altering power.
  • For every 100 points of reputation, users gain 1 additional point of reputation altering power.
  • Users must have 50 posts before their reputation hits count on others.
  • Users must have a minimum of 10 reputation points before their reputation hits count. (Everybody starts with ten)
  • Users may only give ten reputation clicks over a 24 hour period.
  • You can only hit the same person after 20 other people have hit them.

I think that's about the whole thing. There's a long list of titles that apply to different levels of reputation, but I'm too lazy to copy them all out of the admin panel.

Oh, and one more thing:

How about we all give knary a big round of applause for the new skins. You can pick from two different ones down there in the lower left.

:thumb :buds :type

Oh yeah - if you click on a user's name, you get a drop down menu and you can go right to the home page they've defined in their profile. Slick, eh?

KBasa said:
Here's how reputations work.

• Everybody starts with 10 points.
  • If you have no rating, you get called "not positive or negative"
  • You'll only see the last 5 votes on you in your control panel, though this is configurable to another value.
  • Admins give two points for a click, registered users give 1, though additional points can be earned by registered users
  • for every year a user is on the forum, they get one more point of reputation altering power.
  • For every 1000 posts, users get 1 point of reputation altering power.
  • For every 100 points of reputation, users gain 1 additional point of reputation altering power.
  • Users must have 50 posts before their reputation hits count on others.
  • Users must have a minimum of 10 reputation points before their reputation hits count. (Everybody starts with ten)
  • Users may only give ten reputation clicks over a 24 hour period.
  • You can only hit the same person after 20 other people have hit them.

I think that's about the whole thing. There's a long list of titles that apply to different levels of reputation, but I'm too lazy to copy them all out of the admin panel.

Hey cool,Sounds like Dungeons and Dragons.Do we have to be consistent?Or is it OK to be chaotic??

Back