• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Scanners

bluehole

I have a printer/scanner at home (Dell 968W) and it does a fine job with most of the stuff I use it for. The recent Pre-Digital thread has me interested in scanning more photos. I am a bit disappointed in the quality of my photo scans. I suppose that by nature, scans will not be as good as a digital photo (especially with my general purpose scanner). Are there certain settings I should look to adjust...the dpi for example? Or must one purchase a scanner dedicated to copying pictures and negatives to get good quality picture scans?

I too had a high quality flat bed, it did O.K., but I also had about 6000 slides I wanted to scan, which would be very tedious. So I finally broke down and picked up a Nikon Coolscan 5000, with a slide feeder. Software is professional level and lets you really tweek old faded slides and negatives. The auto settings actually do a great job, once you dial them in, so you can just load a bunch of slides and come back 1/2 hour later.

It is big $$$, but if patient you can find deals. I still have mine, and have a few negitives to finish, I will then sell it and should actually make about $200 on the deal:dance

I have a printer/scanner at home (Dell 968W) and it does a fine job with most of the stuff I use it for. The recent Pre-Digital thread has me interested in scanning more photos. I am a bit disappointed in the quality of my photo scans. I suppose that by nature, scans will not be as good as a digital photo (especially with my general purpose scanner). Are there certain settings I should look to adjust...the dpi for example? Or must one purchase a scanner dedicated to copying pictures and negatives to get good quality picture scans?
Unless you're a graphics professional, your Dell should do a fine all around job (and seems to) for all your needs. As a multifunction machine, it has a max resolution spec of only 1200x1200, which is ok for scanning an original (pre-digital photo-print) and sending it off in an email or posting to a website, but I'd not want to use it for professional reproduction (high end scanners used for magazines or book printing) or archiving.

I suppose that by nature, scans will not be as good as a digital photo
Actually, with the appropriate equipment, scans can be much better than digital photos, especially if your original is a print, original artwork or a transparency. No matter how fine/high the resolution of a digital image, its still based on arrays of pixels (whereas film captures continuous tone).

If archiving your film/print photos is really important to you, for about $100 you can get a 4800 dpi (optical resolution) Epson Perfection flat-bed scanner (some have transparency feeders too) that can do a great job.

After scanning the old photos, I use Panit Shop Photo X3 to process the photos. It really helps on old photos that are poor quality or faded. I can also add labels.

Also, many of our old photo albums have multiple photos glued to the page. I can scan a full page and use X3 to crop and straigten individual photos.

This has been a great thread for me because I now realize 1) I do have lots of slides I would like to have scanned and 2) I would like to use this process to archieve slides and pictures.

tessler, I checked out the Epsons. There are several to choose from. Would something like the the V300 or 4490 Photo Scanner (not Office Scanner) be sufficient or should I look at something better?

This has been a great thread for me because I now realize 1) I do have lots of slides I would like to have scanned and 2) I would like to use this process to archieve slides and pictures.

tessler, I checked out the Epsons. There are several to choose from. Would something like the the V300 or 4490 Photo Scanner (not Office Scanner) be sufficient or should I look at something better?
Bluehole, I think the Epson v300 would be more than sufficient for your purposes. It has quite a few positive reviews from satisfied purchasers on Amazon and is under $90 to boot.

I've been using an Epson Perfection 3200 Photo Scanner in my office as a general workhorse for the past 4 years without a single problem (mostly using it to scan original line art to be imported into Photoshop or Illustrator, but it's great for other applications too).

Back