• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hello

S

Starhopper68

Greetings! Have a 2004 R1150R bought new with 25000 miles... Decided to join BMWMOA after talking to a fellow Beemer about my plans to go to the rally in OR (will be my first) and he informed me about the "anonymous book." Have never attempted anything even close to this. (furthest I've gone is 3 day trip east from here in Indiana in which I was woefully unprepared) So while this may be biting off more than I can chew I'm looking forward to the challenges and rewards... So, gonna try and prepare as best as I can and get all the info and advise I can get before I attempt my "Zen and Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" adventure! :) Any advice and/or pointers greatly appreciated!

Well, you've opened the book! I'm sure you'll get lots of advice, and probably invitations to ride along as well! My only advice will be plan, plan, plan and then realize that the moment you start (or even before) it will all change. My motto is "Semper Gumby" ("Always flexible"...)! :)

Last edited:
...My only advise will be plan, plan, plan and then realize that the moment you start (or even before) it will all change. My motto is "Semper Gumby" ("Always flexible...)! :)
Great advice! :thumb The object is to enjoy whatever events/weather/people you encounter along the way.

And welcome!

Don't be intimidated at the distance travelled. Camping 20 miles from home is no different than camping 2000 miles away, assuming that you're prepared for the weather. I busted my touring cherry last year with a trip to the Iowa rally 5 weeks after I bought my bike, then managed a great 2500 mile ride with trip to the "Return to Trenton" (Ontario) rally. Snagged a longest male rider plaque for it too!!!

Get some decent gear and make a quick shake-down trip somewhere to see how it all functions and how it all fits on the bike. You can camp at a nearby State Park just to check everything out for the first time. Also remember that there are always stores around somewhere. It's not the end of the world to have to go to a store and buy some fresh skivvies.

Maybe you'll consider the Iowa rally as a trial run (second weekend in June)? It should be an easy one-day ride for you on Friday, then a couple nights of :laugh:buds. Then an easy ride back on Sunday.

...and welcome the board and the MOA!

Welcome to the club! As mentioned it is a real good idea to try out a close to home run to get familiar with setup and what you will need. Don't worry about having "all the right stuff" at first, as you will discover many "trick" items as you go along. And when you get to the larger rallies there will be many vendors with all sorts of stuff to make your camping life easier :thumb The main thing is get out and do it!

You will find a great sense of accomplishment in packing all your stuff on the bike and making a big trip like a national rally. And just so you know, I have been to Redmond and they too have a Super Walmart!

Plan..Plan..Plan...Have Fun...Ride Safe and I'll see you there! :dance

Welcome to the club! As mentioned it is a real good idea to try out a close to home run to get familiar with setup and what you will need. Don't worry about having "all the right stuff" at first, as you will discover many "trick" items as you go along. And when you get to the larger rallies there will be many vendors with all sorts of stuff to make your camping life easier :thumb The main thing is get out and do it!

You will find a great sense of accomplishment in packing all your stuff on the bike and making a big trip like a national rally. And just so you know, I have been to Redmond and they too have a Super Walmart!

Plan..Plan..Plan...Have Fun...Ride Safe and I'll see you there! :dance

"Ditto". :thumb You'll be surprised at what does and what doesn't work, which is why a weekend camp out nearby is a good way to discover what to improve, replace or keep. Enjoy. :ca

Greetings! Have a 2004 R1150R bought new with 25000 miles... Decided to join BMWMOA after talking to a fellow Beemer about my plans to go to the rally in OR So, gonna try and prepare as best as I can and get all the info and advise I can get before I attempt my "Zen and Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" adventure! :) Any advice and/or pointers greatly appreciated!

A hop and skip! Youll be in Oregon in no time aboard that Beemer! I am happy you finally joined. Go over the maintenance items on your bike before you head west, then just ride. Take foul weather gear and make up, review and select your camp out stuff.
JD

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advise! I really appreciate it! Great site/organization. Should of joined years ago...better late than never I guess. :)
Thanks again,
Todd

I just joined as well and will be making my first long distance trip to my first big rally! Thanks for asking the questions so I could also get some good advice! See you in Oregon!

Back