• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oilhead Oil Consumption

Mr. Frank

Over the past month or so on the IBMWR list a few guys have noted what I would consider high oil consumption (e.g., 1 qt per 1000 miles) on low mileage but broken in oilheads. What kind of oil consumption do most folks experience with the oilheads?

Oil consumption is going to be highly variable, just like gas mileage, and for many of the same reasons. My own mileage can vary from .5 to 2.0 qts. between oil changes. Just like gas mileage, cross counrty traveling yields the least consumption, and in-town and high rpm operations yield the most consumption.

Up to a point, more mileage on a bike will decrease oil usage, slow break-in's will increase usage. Don't start using synthetic oil until you believe that the oil consumption has dropped enough to indicate that the break-in has completed as much as it's going to. Sometimes this can take 15,000 miles. Just my two cents.

Pat

I've never approached 1 qt./1,000 miles.
Under high speed/hot weather conditions, I might need to top off the GS after a 1,000-mile trip, probably to the tune of about a 1/3 quart.:dunno
Oilhead oil consumption does vary wildly. For some reason - maybe I'm just lucky - both my Oilheads have sipped dinosaur remains very sparingly.

My R1100RS burns about 1/4 of a liter on average in 5,000 Km in all types of riding conditions. I'm using Mobil 1 15W50 in it, with 65,000 Km on the bike.

Oil consumption

I have a 2002 GS with 10,000 miles. It will use a quart between oil changes (every 3,000 miles). Everybody I talk to says it varies on how many miles until the motor is broken in. That is my story!

I just had my '02 1100S through the 6000mi service. In those 6K, the most notable changes were the drop in oil consumption and the improved shifting. I was at about 1/3 of a quart every 1000 miles when new. Now the level barely moves in 3000. And the tranny is oh so sweet!!!

My 03 RT just used 6 ounces of Amsoil Synthetic during my recent 4100 mile trip to S. Texas/OK. The oil was still in the sight glass when I returned. The bike has 11400 miles on it.

Ditto here. I don't think my 1100RS oil level dropped more than half the glass...top of circle to middle dot between changes. I'm at 50,000 miles and the oil use has been at that level since about 20,000 miles.:clap

Oli comsumption

I have an 03 with 3800 mi. When I got it back from the dealer after the 600 check the oil level was at the top of the sight glass. In fact I thought that the thing was dry. since I couldn't see any oil. After about another 1000 mi or so the level was slightly below the middle of the sight glass. I added 8 oz of oil and it brought the level to the middle. In the 2200 mi since ,I have not added a drop and the level has remained there. This is my 4th oil head and in my experience I have found that if the thing is overfull , just run it awhile and the level will drop to where it likes to be, sort of a self leveling thing.

Oil consumption????

I ride an R1100RT and do my own serviceing. After hearing so much about Oilhead "BURNING" so much oil I begail to wonder why. After some thinking I realize that most of you have the dealer change the oil. I wonder how many of you ask the Service Man how much oil was drained from the Air Box?? Thats where most of my oil goes, Not in blue smoke out the exhaust.
:jawdrop

Just wondering along the road. Bones

Airboxes in our 3 oilheads are dry.

I've found that if you fill it above the dot, it seems to eat it.

dave
do all my own service too

Mr. Frank said:
Over the past month or so on the IBMWR list a few guys have noted what I would consider high oil consumption (e.g., 1 qt per 1000 miles) on low mileage but broken in oilheads. What kind of oil consumption do most folks experience with the oilheads?

I own 5 BMW motorcycles at the moment. I don't know what it is with BMW motorcycles, buy my R65 and R100 GS consume oil. My R27 and R80 G/S PD are parked, so I can't comment on them.

I can't comment on the new GS Adventure that I picked up today, but I sure hope these high tech wonders with all that high tech manufacturing are better.

My Kawasaki KLR 650 and Honda CR-V don't consume a drop of oil between oil changes and the BMW 318is that I once owned didn't consume any oil either, so I don't know what it is with their bikes: too high an oil level? why would they do that?
:dunno

OK, Let me ask this, how many of you know that there is a 2nd chamber below the air filter chamber? It's sole purpose is to catch crankcase vented oil vapors. It also has its own little drain plug.
On my trike, when it gets purddy fill, its fun to make a sharp turn. Then the oil gets up into the intake aera and there is a smoke screen for about a 1/4 mile.
Just curious. Bones, :brow

Last edited:
Bones said:
OK, Let me ask this, how many of you know that there is a 2nd chamber below the air filter chamber? It's sole purpose is to catch crankcase vented oil vapors. It also has its own little drain plug.
Just curious. Bones, :brow

I'm aware of it. Don't let it get that full otherwise you crud up the TB's with oil goop and then it goes in the engine and turns into carbon buildup. You might be filling your oil too full or you have too much blow bye past the rings. Later bikes (97+??) have a redesinged breather system which was supposed to help reduce the vapors.

saab93driver said:
I'm aware of it. Don't let it get that full otherwise you crud up the TB's with oil goop and then it goes in the engine and turns into carbon buildup. You might be filling your oil too full or you have too much blow bye past the rings. Later bikes (97+??) have a redesinged breather system which was supposed to help reduce the vapors.
I've got 42,000 mi on my 98 R11GSA. I pulled the air box oil drain plug during the last major service and it was bone dry.:thumb

;) Ok, Saab & Hack and the rest of Ya, another curious Question. Most of my Riding has consisted of 5-7 hundred miles/day at 75-85 on the slab lately, getting to various rallys. I find that this is when the reservour gets the most volume. I also run at a higher RPM than stock due to the trike conversion. When I'm on the back roads at a litttle slower pace, the volume seem to decrease.
So! Got any comparisons that we can tie together?
Input is Data for demented Minds.
Just finished replacing the Head, Piston, Valves, Cam & Sprocket On the R-1100RT/Trike (it swallowed a valve) and am ready for Charleston! Hope to see ya all there!!
Bones, aka; Jim Post:wave

In the last 2500 miles, the RS has consumed about a pint.

I can live with that. In 60K miles, the airbox has always been dry.

dave

Back