• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Getting on 2007 GSA

ROBBINS

I am 6 feet tall and still have a hard time mounting up on my GSA especially if the side boxes are on. Any suggestions? How about standing on the side pegs to get a leg over? I do have a Sargent seat and it does help but not enough. THKS

one suggestion, instead of swinging a leg over, is to place the bike on the sidestand and mount the bike by placing the back side your right calf/ankle on the seat and sliding over the saddle. use your weight to move the bike to an upright position as you slide on. i typically do this if i have stuff on the rack.

another thought is to place the bike on its centerstand, step up onto the left peg with your left foot and then swing your leg over. be careful to keep your weight as centered as possible during the whole motion. then rock the bike off of the stand while using the front brake to keep the from moving forward any more than it has to.

don't ride your bike off the centerstand. it's not designed for doing that.

hth.

ian

I'm 5'6 and ride a GSA. I always climb on the footpeg with the side stand down and climb on. Once on, up comes the foot peg. Because of my short inseam, 30", I have an extra low seat from the "R" model on my bike. I through on some beads and can ride all day.By the way, the only time the bike is not on its center stand is when it is being ridden.

one suggestion, instead of swinging a leg over, is to place the bike on the sidestand and mount the bike by placing the back side your right calf/ankle on the seat and sliding over the saddle. use your weight to move the bike to an upright position as you slide on. i typically do this if i have stuff on the rack.

Thats how I duz it!!!
With the Adv seat positioned high front and lo rear and I stand at 6' too,...I also have a hard time mountin' the ol scoot while she's up right on the center stand.
Only time the bike's really on the center stand is when i'm gittin' fuel...utter than that..plop 'er on the side stand,mountup and B gone!:dance

Mine too;

GSA'07 and I do the sidestand mount, like gettin on a horse. I'm 6'1". I use the center stand mostly for loading the bike and/or parking it for longer periods. If I'm all packed and cannot throw a leg over the gear, I use a knee in the saddle, as I'm going on, same as above. Sometimes I will just throw a leg over the saddle, while standing alongside the bike, buts its the hard way. I cannot keep both feet flat on the ground, when seated. Tip toe at best...Randy:usa:usa

one important note about stepping on the left peg while the bike is on the sidestand.... i don't know if it's me, but several BMWs i've owned have had sidestands that s-l-o-w-l-y sink into the west as the years go on.

iow, the sidestand (or its mounting bracket) bends.

right now, on my oilhead GS, i have a verholen sidestand footpad that adds an inch of vertical height to the bottom of the foot. before that the bike listed seriously to port and now stands about right.

ymmv.

ian

Yes, I'm going to add a foot to my side stand also, but mostly for stability on less stable ground. I'm aware that the side stand may "bend" over time. So each time I mount the bike, I make sure the bike is as upright as possible while on the side stand. And I get it off the side stand as quick as possible. If the sucker bends, I'll modify it so it never will again. If that don't work, I'll replace it. It ain't rocket science and I can't do anything about my height or short legs. And I love the bike.

Sidestand extra;

I welded a real Pony shoe to the bottom of mine and its perfect:). I have horses anyhow and thought it a nice touch. Went and bought a smaller pony shoe as the regular horse shoes are too big for such. It welded nicely to the bottom of my sidestand and it actually has the open end pointing upward for good luck, when the stand is up:). Randy:thumb

Mounting a r1200 gsa

I really love the bike but wish someone could invent an attachment that would make getting on and off easier. As far as i'm concerned it is the biggest drawback.

I am 6 feet tall and still have a hard time mounting up on my GSA especially if the side boxes are on. Any suggestions? How about standing on the side pegs to get a leg over? I do have a Sargent seat and it does help but not enough. THKS

I'm 6'1'' 220 and I use the left footpeg to mount my '08 GSA, even when it's on it's sidestand......never had a problem.

I really love the bike but wish someone could invent an attachment that would make getting on and off easier. As far as i'm concerned it is the biggest drawback.

I sometimes can throw a leg over the seat Karate Kid style...sometimes the age kicks in and I do the horse method using the peg while on the sidestand. The 12GS sidestand seems a little beefier that the oilheads...we have an 1100 that REALLY leans over.

here's an attachment for you!
:laugh:laugh:laugh

Attachments

• milkcrate.jpg
    milkcrate.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 70
Back