• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spline Lube-Lube question

robsara

Hi,

Last spring I purchased a "new to me" 1994 K75 with only 116k miles on it. I replaced the oil, trans oil, final drive oil, shock oil, and had an enjoyable summer. This is my first motorcycle. My wife made me member of the MOA for Christmas.

I have been enjoying all the posts about the dreaded spline lubing procedure. I'm figuring I'm needing to tackle this sometime this spring. Last fall I was able to find a tube of the HondaMoly from the local Honda car dealership. I am seeing that it is preferred to mix that with "Wurth 3000."

Google has not been kind to me, or perhaps I don't know what I'm looking for, but where can you purchase this magical sauce?

Also, if you are in the West Michigan area, and tackling a spline lube this spring, I'd be happy to hold the flashlight/pass the wrench/bring some homebrew/wipe down tools while you tackle the job. Especially if you know what you are doing.

Regards,
Rob

1994 K75
Since Ted found one, I'll buy your K75 bulb kit ;)

Hi,

Last spring I purchased a "new to me" 1994 K75 with only 116k miles on it. I replaced the oil, trans oil, final drive oil, shock oil, and had an enjoyable summer. This is my first motorcycle. My wife made me member of the MOA for Christmas.

I have been enjoying all the posts about the dreaded spline lubing procedure. I'm figuring I'm needing to tackle this sometime this spring. Last fall I was able to find a tube of the HondaMoly from the local Honda car dealership. I am seeing that it is preferred to mix that with "Wurth 3000."

Google has not been kind to me, or perhaps I don't know what I'm looking for, but where can you purchase this magical sauce?

Also, if you are in the West Michigan area, and tackling a spline lube this spring, I'd be happy to hold the flashlight/pass the wrench/bring some homebrew/wipe down tools while you tackle the job. Especially if you know what you are doing.

Regards,
Rob

1994 K75
Since Ted found one, I'll buy your K75 bulb kit ;)

based upon the observations by Paul Glaves, I will pick up some GD525 from Guard Dog while we are in the U.S. in May. - Bob

Paul told me it was okay to mix the Honda Moly with Sta Lube - here's his exact words:

"Any Extreme Pressure lithium compley grease will work. My favorite is
Wurth SIG 3000 grease. It is a sticky, gooey green grease and the
stickier the better. I would look for three things: Lithium base, good
anti-corrosion, and extreme prerssure."

Is there something wrong with the OEM BMW stuff? I see everyone looking for alternatives. Why not just use what BMW uses?

uh-oh...... here we go again! I don't have the time to look right now but there is another link to this precise discussion. Well informed and clear. Paul gives a couple of equally reliable options and explains why. - Bob

See "Another Clutch Spline Story" here in the K bikes section. It was posted
on Feb. 5th. Paul gives a great explanation of his history of using different
greases over the years.

I understand what to use. I just can't source it.

Where are folks buying the Wurth 3000?? Is it something my local Autozone or Napa will have? If anyone knows where I can get it I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Rob

Got it.

Thanks again, Paul. I ordered on Thursday and it was on my doorstep on Friday.

It is a big tube. I'm going to need a lot of 3oz Honda Moly tubes to use it all. (well, only 5, but when you look at them side by side it's kind of funny.) Now to make my 50/50 witches brew!

If anyone is in West Michigan and you need some, let me know. Unless you also need a ten year supply in your garage.

Next: bravely tackle the job!!

Regards,

Rob

Thanks again, Paul. I ordered on Thursday and it was on my doorstep on Friday.

It is a big tube. I'm going to need a lot of 3oz Honda Moly tubes to use it all. (well, only 5, but when you look at them side by side it's kind of funny.) Now to make my 50/50 witches brew!

If anyone is in West Michigan and you need some, let me know. Unless you also need a ten year supply in your garage.

Next: bravely tackle the job!!

Regards,

Rob

Good luck. I just talked to Bob's BMW today and they said it's a 4hr job ($99/hr).

They brought up a good point about seals. What seals should be replaced when doing a spline lube? I have 25k miles.

Good luck. I just talked to Bob's BMW today and they said it's a 4hr job ($99/hr).

They brought up a good point about seals. What seals should be replaced when doing a spline lube? I have 25k miles.

My answer is "any that are leaking".

The O ring that seals the center of the clutch carrier (flywheel) often is dry with age. Other than that, I would not disturb a non-leaking rear main seal or non leaking transmission input shaft seal.

Back