• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Pressures

J

jhglaw

What are the optimum tire pressures for an F 800 ST. I never carry a passenger or more than 20 pounds of gear. I weigh 170. I do not ride hard but I do like the twisties. My club members would say I ride smoothly and conservatively. The recommended pressures are 36 and 40 but they must take into account heavier riders, occasional passengers and loaded touring.

I have the F650GS twin and for just the rider with no/minimal gear they recommend 32 psi ft / 36 psi back (2.2 / 2.5 bar)

For two-up of lots of gear the recommendation is 32/42 psi...

I would have guessed that the recommendations for the ST would have been very similar...:dunno

36 Front and 40 Rear are maximum psi for the 800ST/S, and as you stated, this accounts for full load. Try a couple of pounds less in each tire, see if you notice any difference, but ultimately for wear and traction and balance, the mfg has done the homework for you.
On the heavier bikes (GT/LT) there are different psi for load capacity/2up, but with
lighter F800's it is a standard rating because of its load limitation:thumb

Tire pressures

Paul Glaves gives really good general tire information in this month's (Feb 2010) Owners News - in Bench Wrenching. His advice will improve on the owner's manual and tire manufacturer's data for your particular case.

Jim

Back