• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

On line marketplace

BradfordBenn said:
I'll just copy my post from the other thread over to hear... cheesey I know but it somes up my point.

I do like the idea of having some moderation and control over it to keep it from turning into a free for all. I also would hope that there would be a policy against double listing. Basically if you want to list it on BMWMOA it should be exclusive so that no one is listing stuff both on MOA and on IBMWR simultaneously. 1 item is listed in 1 place at a time.

No offense, but why would you want to limit a MOA member to listing on MOA only? It seems to make no sense to me. The more places a bike can be advertised the better chance of selling it. Aren't we trying to help rather than hinder?

silk1100 said:
No offense, but why would you want to limit a MOA member to listing on MOA only? It seems to make no sense to me. The more places a bike can be advertised the better chance of selling it. Aren't we trying to help rather than hinder?

My concern is that after something has been sold that it be removed. So having the limitation in there makes it more likely that the listing will be removed after being sold.

silk1100 said:

When we talked with folks about online classifieds, the majority expressed a desire to maintain the trusted, member to member sale experience they have with the flea market in ON.

One of the advantages of our on line flea market will be that it will be completely free of Nigeran scams, bad cashier check schemes and the other items that plague more open advertising scenarios.

Additionally, if you could get unlimited on line ads, directed to a known enthusiast organization, how much would you value that at? Annual dues for the MOA are half the price of an 11day ad in Cycle Trader.

BradfordBenn said:
My concern is that after something has been sold that it be removed. So having the limitation in there makes it more likely that the listing will be removed after being sold.

I think that a short "purge" cycle would take care of that problem.

Not to hijack this thread but I was surprised that there were so few MOA member registered at this site. Less than 10% of membership?

Wonder why?

silk1100 said:

Not to hijack this thread but I was surprised that there were so few MOA member registered at this site. Less than 10% of membership?

Wonder why?

Right now, we're at about 25%, though I'd suspect the number of active members is significantly lower.

For sale thoughts...

This benefit is primarily for the sellers...make it easy for them at first to build up the site....have the listings run for at least 2 weeks...maybe three..it's a pain to re-list....let anyone buy...open to all buyers..as the magazine is...

Don't lock the format...let the listers do whatever they want...its easier that way...I like the ADVrider format...

Split the listings by bike type....its a pain to see it all...

allow listers to list in multiple places...you can't police it anyway...although members will try...and that will be devisive...

See how it goes and adjust as needed...

I'm selling things now, and never think of the ON magazine...it takes too long for results....priced right...stuff sells very fast for BMW bikes..

KBasa said:
Right now, we're at about 25%, though I'd suspect the number of active members is significantly lower.

In an earlier post in this thread Ian408 stated there were approx 3,000 forum members. If that is correct are you then saying MOA membership is 12,000?

I looked at the forum membership list. 290 pages, 30 members per page. Total of 870???

These numbers just don't make sense to me.

Since I'm not the brightest bulb in the tail light, can anyone shed some light on this subject ?

Go look at the main forum page. Down at the bottom, it shows 8980 or so registered members.

youse guys better get going with the clssified section we got wanted ads popping up all over, I'm half tempted to mention my sweet '97 landcruiser thats for sale

KBasa said:
Go look at the main forum page. Down at the bottom, it shows 8980 or so registered members.

LOL at myself Dave. :doh :doh

Seems that 290 X 30 is 8700 !!! :banghead :banghead

Seems like this old man forgot how to do math. :gerg

I'll go back to sleep now.

silk1100 said:

Wonder why?

Mostly because this is the best kept secret in the 'MOA. :cry However, with the coming addition of an on-line market place, and other changes to our web site proper, there will be more opportunities to see the Forum promoted in the Owner's News. The April issue should have a full page article about the Forum, which will be more ink than it has ever received there before.

marK11LT said:
youse guys better get going with the clssified section we got wanted ads popping up all over, I'm half tempted to mention my sweet '97 landcruiser thats for sale

Dang, I'm so glad you resisted that temptation! :eek

GregFeeler said:
The April issue should have a full page article about the Forum, which will be more ink than it has ever received there before.

Interesting coincidence. ;)

Ian

KBasa said:

Minutia for the day :dance
Depending on who you define "active participation"

Forum/MOA Members​
5834 members have = 0 posts ~65.0%/16.2%
2003 members have > 0 & <10 posts ~22.3%/5.6%
906 members have => 10 posts ~10%/2.5%
310 members have => 50 posts ~3.5%/0.9%
181 members have => 100 posts ~2.0%/0.5%
79 members have => 250 posts ~0.9%/0.2%

(nice search function by the way) :thumb

marK11LT said:
i'm putting a 1% patch on my stitch....
58194803-S.jpg

:laugh :laugh

wuli959 said:
Minutia for the day :dance
Depending on who you define "active participation"

Forum/MOA Members​
5834 members have = 0 posts ~65.0%/16.2%
2003 members have > 0 & <10 posts ~22.3%/5.6%
906 members have => 10 posts ~10%/2.5%
310 members have => 50 posts ~3.5%/0.9%
181 members have => 100 posts ~2.0%/0.5%
79 members have => 250 posts ~0.9%/0.2%

(nice search function by the way) :thumb

Apparently, they also serve who only sit and lurk. :brow

Certainly everyone would like to see more participation from those who have access to this forum, but it seems common on lots of web forums and email lists that the vast majority of people just lurk. After all, you can still get all the information content by just watching and reading. Plus, you are a much smaller target if you don't draw attention to yourself. AMHIK :hide

Back