• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

One more k100 lubrication problem

hhshort

I'm sure someone has solved this problem a long time ago. Is there a satifactory lubricant for the little penis's on the sidecovers of the 1985 k100s? Almost any lube will work for assembly but when it comes to removing the covers, It is always scarey.

All the covers on my 85's have been repaired. I think I have become very good at removal and haven't broken one for years. Yesterday one more broke off during removal. I also have become very good at repairing them.

I'm sure someone has solved this problem a long time ago. Is there a satifactory lubricant for the little penis's on the sidecovers of the 1985 k100s? Almost any lube will work for assembly but when it comes to removing the covers, It is always scarey.

All the covers on my 85's have been repaired. I think I have become very good at removal and haven't broken one for years. Yesterday one more broke off during removal. I also have become very good at repairing them.

Those side cover "knobs", on K bikes particularly, resemble something made in the worst factory in Bangladesh or Somalia or some such 4th world country. The backside which is supposed to pull out smoothly usually contains a mold seam, sharp pointed edges, and too flat an angle. There is no grease or other lubricant in the world that will keep those things from tearing into the rubber grommets and or breaking off the sidecover, or both.

My solution, used on at least a dozen bikes since 1986, has been the judicious use of sandpaper and/or a mini rotary grinder to remove the sharp corners and edges and to reshape the knob so it can be pulled out of the grommet without cutting, tearing, or breaking anything.

Then most any grease - I use white Lithium from a little tube - will do. But not without reshaping the knob to resemble something with a chance of working correctly.

This diatribe applies to side covers, radiator shrouds, and most any other plastic piece with a knob that sticks into a rubber grommet on a BMW classic K bike. I have reshaped literally dozens over the years.

Yes--- those little "Knobs". I apologize and stand corrected for the phallic reference I used on this gentile forum:blush.

On my way to find the Dremal tool, I took a look at the knobs and found another of the mounts that was cracked. Thanks

I have had luck with slipping my hand up behind the cover and giving the knob a push out from the backside as I am pulling on the cover.

Ted, Yes--- I was using that method successfully untill yesterday and broke one off. After 18 years of Klassic K's I needed a solution.

Oh, how I remember those pen-er-Knobs....I got to where I pulled the side covers off and relubed on a regular basis. Wish I had thought of reshaping them way back then. The ultimate solution was to remove the rider from the seat and roll a new RS underneath.......:brad

Ted, Yes--- I was using that method successfully untill yesterday and broke one off. After 18 years of Klassic K's I needed a solution.

Marvelous. That is just how I have been doing it. I can't wait for mine to break:cry

Are we talking about the rear "clip" (the one by the seat lock and the shock mount)? Or the bottom one closer to the foot pegs? Or both??

Are these the same on my K1100RS as the older K100?

I replace the little tubing pieces every Spring. And remove the sidecover by using fingers on both sides to pull the rear clip off (while wiggling it slightly) then sliding the cover rearward off the front and lower mounts.

John There are several uniquenesses about the 1985 k100. A lot of them were corrected by May of 1985 and thus the 1986 models. The side covers were redsigned but the "Knobs" didn't completely go away nor was their shape corrected.

The pic shows the all those mounts have ben repaired The first to go is the lower one that slides off a stem on the bike frame. I believe that the "sex" of that type of mount was reversed in the later bikes..(there I go again-- Must be dirty minded old man) At least it is reversed on the K75RT that I have.

I think that this should tie a knot in this thread

Attachments

• DSCN0007.JPG
    DSCN0007.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 53
The ones with a flat tab with a hole in it, that slip over the rubber cylinder slipped over the little metal rod work more or less OK, as long as you remember that is what is there instead of a knob in a grommet. The holes in the tab seem generally to be too snug so a slight enlargement of the hole helps.

Silicone grease (Google for suppliers) - works well to lubricate the rubber grommets with the peg used on front/back on the '85-K. Never had the peg break off on the FYK or my K75S. But I did lose the bottom mount on the darn sidecovers, and that is with all iterations of design (3 I know of) that BMW used. The plastic pin used for the rear mounting on the later model bikes was the height of stupidity IMHO - a spindly plastic pin. I'm actually amazed I never broke one. Silicone grease on that also helps.

I found an R1200R solved all of the problems - but that's another story..

Got out for 80 miles of smiles today! Lots of snow still on the ground, but the roads were generally clear! WHOOPIE - spring is on the way!

Back