• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Which are better...heated gloves or heated grips?

rbryson

I obviously don't have experience with either, but am thinking about one of these for riding in colder weather. Could those who have had both please advise:wave. Thanks.

I just got a pair of gerbings gloves-they have gel in the palms and heat on the fingers and back of the hands.With the grips on all is nice and warm.Ed

Heated grips are nice, but given the choice, heated gloves get my vote. The backs of my hands froze when I had to ride in the 20's; I've never had a problem at those temperatures with heated gloves.

My own biased $0.02.... I like my grips. I have a heated vest as well and have forgotten a few times to unplug before walking away from the bike. Having the gloves plugged in is just another tether I would rather avoid. But I would have to admit the gloves are likley warmer, I just don't like the cord.

If you don't have either it is a lot easier to go the glove route. You don't need to dismantle the handlebars and controls and drill the bars in addition to the wiring. Just hook up the wiring and be warm.

I have Gerbings gloves and they work great.

Oh yea - I used to have factory heated grips and they really are swell

Last edited:
If you don't have either it is a lot easier to go the glove route. You don't need to dismantle the handlebars and controls and drill the bars in addition to the wiring. Just hook up the wiring and be warm.

I have Gerbings gloves and they work great.

There are some after market heated grips that don't require the wiring or handlebar holes. Personally, I like heated grips. I have no experience with heated gloves.
JD

I use neither one, but it just seems logical to me that if the heating elements are closer to the area that needs to be warmed up, the whole thang works better... and therefore, the gloves gotta be the better method!

Back in the day, when I would ride in dern near any weather, I had a set of Witter heated chaps and vest...worked well...but any more, if it's nasty enough to need that stuff, it's too cold to ride...

Or, for us California Kidz...anything under 70 degrees...LOL

heated gloves here. hand guards, windshield or fairing coverage helps the hands also.

I have heated grips and nice warm (non-heated) gloves. All of my hand stays warm accept for my throttle thumb. :type

I look at it as 2 different applications, cool days the convenience of hitting the switch is great and adds to comfort, but when it gets cold, the gloves are by far warmer.

Like pffog sez'; two different applications.

Go for both.

Heated gloves will obviously out perform heated grips when the temps are truly low,

The grips though are always just a flip of the switch away, any time, any place, and are really appreciated on chilly evenings, rainy days, or mountain passes.

Last edited:
Like pffog sez'; two different applications.

Go for both.

Heated gloves will obviously out perform heated grips when the temps are truly low,

The grips though are always just a flip of the switch away, any time, any place, and are really appreciated on chilly evenings, rainy days, or mountain passes.

My exact response also.

Neither !

Heated grips will leave the backs of your hands cold even at temps above freezing.

Bulkiness of heated (or non-heated insulated) gloves compromises use of the controls.

My vote is for Hippo Hands and unlined gloves.

I have used all three methods extensively,
and currently cold-weather ride an R12S with heated grips & Hippo Hands ÔÇô
IMO: the ultimate cold weather / warm hands solution.

grip experience

I obviously don't have experience with either, but am thinking about one of these for riding in colder weather. Could those who have had both please advise:wave. Thanks.

Heated grips are great in the 40+ weather, but the tips of my fingers get extremely cold... even with the handguards. I'm looking at some gloves for next season.

Heated gloves will keep both the outside and the inside of your fingers warm. Heated grips only keep the palm side of your hands warm. Heated grips are good. Heated gloves are great.

Back