• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bakersfield to SFO--Motorcycle Show!

S

SNC1923

Having just purchased my first BMW, an '04 RT, my riding buddy Bryan and I decided to head north on Hwy 1 to San Francisco to see the Cycle World Bike show. We didn't leave until about 7:30 a.m. (a decision we would later regret) and spent a LOT of time on photo stops, bathroom breaks (Bryan's bladder is as small as his Yamaha's gas tank) and other tomfoolery. Here's a photo stop before we even left town, let alone the county.

Attachments

• DSCN4480.JPG
    DSCN4480.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 69
It was indeed fortunate for us that our ride included two of Pashnit.com's top 5 California motorcycle roads. The first (which runs within a mile of my house) is Hwy 58 leading west from Bakersfield to the coast at Morro Bay. It is a beautiful ribbon of road characterized by exhiliarating twisties and relaxing straightaways. It also has a series of woop-de-doos that will have your stomach in your throat and, if not mindful, your front wheel of the ground at 90 mph. . . . If you manage to make it to Morro Bay, be sure to stop into the Coffee Pot for a great breakfast.

Here's one of the few pieces of specific scenery on an otherwise desolate 58. At current California prices, this shack is probably worth about 125k.

Attachments

• DSCN4485.JPG
    DSCN4485.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 67
The other top 5 California road is, of course, Hwy 1 heading north. You can read more about it on pashnit.com. It's a hundred or so miles of twisties with spectacular views of the Pacific. The main problem is getting stuck behind a line of cars; there are few opportunities to pass. Bryan and I were riding up on a Friday morning and we encountered suprisingly little traffic. Here's one of a thousand beautiful views (the ocean, not me).

Attachments

• DSCN4500.JPG
    DSCN4500.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
There are several wonderful bridges on the 1. Here's one of them. Like I said, LOTS of photo breaks.

Attachments

• DSCN4506.JPG
    DSCN4506.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 65
We stopped at a restaurant (didn't eat there--think it was called the Outlook) and it had spectacular ocean views. We took a nice stretch and walked out on the rocks. Here's the view from the restaurant.

Attachments

• DSCN4518.JPG
    DSCN4518.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
AFter a 12 hour ride (I said there were a lot of stops and that we would regret having left at 7:30 a.m.) we finally made it to SF. The last two hours of the ride were in the dark; it was cold and windy, and Bryan had no fairing, little windshield, no heated grips, and his fish and chips dinner from Bubba Gump's in Monterey was wreaking havoc with his lower GI. Poor guy was a trooper following my tailight for 100 miles. We took the 92 across to Modesto and it was really hazardous due to construction. Nonetheless, we finally made it.

Here's a rejuvinated Bryan checking at a Buell on Saturday morning.

Attachments

• DSCN4529.JPG
    DSCN4529.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
If you've never been to the Cycle World show, it's worth the price of admission just to check out all the bikes in the free motorcycle parking area. Be warned that they double- and triple-park so you'll wind up moving someone's bike if you want to leave.

Attachments

• DSCN4593.JPG
    DSCN4593.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Yours truly in front of a local landmark. Spectacular ride; crossing the bridge is free is you are heading north, but costs $5 if you're coming back south. Had a great afternoon of riding after the show. . . . Those of you up north (Kbasa, you paying attention?) really have some nice riding. I learned something, too. Every third bike in the Bay area is a BMW. I've never seen so many beemers outside of a 49er Rally.

Attachments

• DSCN4600.JPG
    DSCN4600.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 62
Two buddies on the road. Doesn't get much better than this.

Attachments

• DSCN4612.JPG
    DSCN4612.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 63
SNC 1923 said:
Yours truly in front of a local landmark. Spectacular ride; crossing the bridge is free is you are heading north, but costs $5 if you're coming back south. Had a great afternoon of riding after the show. . . . Those of you up north (Kbasa, you paying attention?) really have some nice riding. I learned something, too. Every third bike in the Bay area is a BMW. I've never seen so many beemers outside of a 49er Rally.

Oh yeah. Don't I know it. :thumb

Great pics, SNC.

Again, at pashnit.com's suggestion, we tried out the 25 on the way home. It's a little-used highway that runs down the center of the state. It's a great road, really enjoyable riding, though a bit rough (as in maybe never repaved) with no centerline as it snakes south. I highly recommend it nonetheless. A nice little surprise is a turn-off leading to Pinnacles National Monument. It's a small park really designed, I think, for hikers, but well worth the 5 mile detour.

Attachments

• DSCN4624.JPG
    DSCN4624.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 62
More Hwy 25. By this time Bryan and I had split. He took the 198 and the 33 home doing triple digits on the speedometer. I was more about taking in the scenery and finding out where this road lead. Miles and miles of scenery like this.

Attachments

• DSCN4632.JPG
    DSCN4632.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 63
Still more of the gorgeous central California scenery, as seen from the seat of southbound beemer on Hwy 25. I know this isn't far from the San Andreas fault, and this photo may be of that seismic roller coaster. Any geologists on the list may be able to confirm or correct.

Attachments

• DSCN4644.JPG
    DSCN4644.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Another treat along the way is the Mission San Miguel. I tried to follow the 25 but found myself on the southbound 101 before I knew what happened. Just as well. . . . It led me to the 46 (outside Paso Robles) where I travelled to another little used road, Bittercreek.

Attachments

• DSCN4657.JPG
    DSCN4657.JPG
    154.9 KB · Views: 39
This last shot is from Bittercreek Road. I was the only cyclist, the only motorist, the only human on this road that day. Runs through miles of cattle country (unfenced!) and just a smattering of farmhouses and windmills. It leads to the 58 and home. As you can see I was racing the rain and, as it turns out, a dwindling gas tank. I was so taken with these back roads and the beautiful scenery I failed to pay attention to my fuel. I pulled into Buttonwillow (home of the giant cow that began this thread) after at least 15 miles on my fuel warning light. How I made it I don't know. I'm normally pretty fussy about fuel but gratefully pulled into some no-name convenience store and filled my tank with whatever they were dealing. A close call in a very isolated area.

In all a great ride and one I would highly recommend.

Attachments

• DSCN4660.JPG
    DSCN4660.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 39
Brad, I hope you'll call or write if you do. Be happy to show you around. Come on down!

Back