• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Just Ridin' Pictures

I rode out to an outlook in 1984. They had only recently started letting people into the area. We were put into a convoy that was led by a Ranger. The spot we were on was directly in line with the blast and there were many thousands of trees pointing at us. I don’t recall how far we were from the mountain, but it was probably 15-20 miles.

We were out there in 81 and 83 but that was too early to get back in there. We would have liked to seen it then.

^The last time I was at Mt. St Helens (2006ish?), it was venting gas from the caldera cone. Pretty amazing stuff. The surrounding forest is a great case study in primary v. secondary ecologic succession. I still have a couple of bottles of ash in my classroom as a discussion piece for students.

^The last time I was at Mt. St Helens (2006ish?), it was venting gas from the caldera cone. Pretty amazing stuff. The surrounding forest is a great case study in primary v. secondary ecologic succession. I still have a couple of bottles of ash in my classroom as a discussion piece for students.

Here's a closeup I made of the MSH caldera cone in 2016. It seems to have grown a lot over the years, and was still venting some gas. A couple of years later I was in Sicily wandering around on the summit of Mt. Vesuvius, and it was venting in a similar manner.

DSC_3625.jpg

Just adding my 2 cents: I'm guessing your camera added more blue than it actually really was on that day?
I see no visible signs of volcanic venting, unless the whole photograph is itself full of obscura and blue steam.

We could not visit the park when we were out that way because our timing headed south from JBLM said the NP was closed that day. We rode east from the Interstate for many miles just to get this viewpoint {which is what we were basically trying to get}. The NPS website said don't bother; so we just got close enuf. No hiking up to the caldera for selfies....
July21-Mt-St-Helens.jpeg

For us on our Grande CoddiWomple, that was worth our best effort. Sadly, No National Park Passport Stamp that day, 20July21.

There's so much to Discover out there; we really enjoyed our 2021 CoddiWomple Challenge! :heart

Life's not a Dress Rehearsal, guys & gals, so go for a Long Ride!
Hope to see All Y'all in Springfield, MO this June.
:thumb

Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil

USN-Ret'd —-&-— USAF-Ret’d
'09 650GS-twin — '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L

Thanks for the reply - I do think the camera added a whole lot of blue that day. Nikon D7200, 18-200 lens. Settings: ?

I think you can see the vapors rising off the dome here:

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 9.32.39 PM.png

Here's a photo from atop Mt. Vesuvius in 2013:

DSC_0691.jpg

New Year's Day 2022

Golden Church of the Brethren , near Polkville, NC

P1130536-X2.jpg

P1130535-X2.jpg

P1130537-X2.jpg

P1130540-X2.jpg

P1130542-X2.jpg

Irony

I’m sure I’m not the first to note this but I passed this sign this week, just north of Truckee, CA, on hwy 89:

FB943494-3315-4A43-8490-DA77CAEE8564.jpg

Back on the road....

After a couple of weeks with some sunny 35F days that gravel road in the background mostly cleared of ice except in the shady patches. So off went the airhead yesterday. Great bike to inspire a little bit of confidence that rolling through icy patches with feet dragging I might be able to save the spill before it happens. And of course picking up an airhead doesn't require weeks of spinal rehab. But no worries. After 70 miles as the fading sun no longer warmed the air those ice patches weren't so soft anymore but still no worries. I was surprised that the trip up the driveway was trouble free as well. What a lovely feeling to ride on two wheels again! ....of course it was tempting to do silly stuff like we tend to do on snowmobiles around here. But really, with only one wheel up front, not two skiis, and no snow to soften the landing, it was easy to refrain from that sort of fun.

Attachments

• airhead with wrench.jpg
    airhead with wrench.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 99
Enjoy your time on your RT eXcursions to the best of your abilities!

Looks pretty chilly to moi from down here in the Tenn River valley!

Ride Safely, Tod!

On the Alcan highway in Yukon territory on the way home 2018. From 10 miles away, it looked like smoke/fire. It was fog off a body of water

Attachments

• 20180728_194608.jpg
    20180728_194608.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 315
2022 Alps Tour

We did the Western Alps Tour 2022 with Alkemist Adventure Tours: AWESOME!!

Attachments

• GX010069_Moment(3).jpg
    GX010069_Moment(3).jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 244
  • GX010136_Moment.jpg
    GX010136_Moment.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 245
Back