Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26

Thread: Just Ridin' Pictures

I have a question for you 'river-rider guys'.... How do you know...what's under you,what's "down there" ? And how do you all keep water out of your intake?.......

OK, that's three questions......

I have never done it so I really do not know.......
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    I have a question for you 'river-rider guys'.... How do you know...what's under you,what's "down there" ? And how do you all keep water out of your intake?.......

OK, that's three questions......

I have never done it so I really do not know.......
    One, you don't really know what's "down there." Most folks pre-walk through any crossing where they can't see the bottom. Even if you can see it, it can be slicker than greased goat snot.

Two, don't drop your bike. If you do, guaranteed to soak your air filter and drown your engine. I've heard of engines where water gets into the crankcase (not sure how, past the rings or through the crankcase breather . . ???) and then you really do need to change the oil, like right now.

Also, the final drive is usually quite hot, and being submerged in water can lead to water being sucked in through that breather.

That's not to mention front wheel bearings in our GS's, or any other wheel bearings, front or rear. Same thing, hot bearings, cold water, usually doesn't make it past the seals but if it does, they'll need attention pretty soon.

OTOH, I've done a few crossings, without any drama. If you get through it without dropping the bike, all's usually good. Guys/gals who do these things regularly take care of their bikes.

Ask George Mangicaro at Beemers Uber Alles in Manassas about what he's seen happen to bikes after water crossings that went awry. (He's the author of the maintenance column in MOA's Owner's News).
    A skittish motor-bike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on earth, because of its logical extension of our faculties, and the hint, the provocation, to excess conferred by its honeyed untiring smoothness. T.E. Lawrence

Lassen Volcanic Park- Northeastern California

Kansas back roads.

IMG_2777

Seeking the 4TH dimension _RockZ_'s Avatar

Just riding on the best roads in USA. Wisconsin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Friend of Bill W. Kiss the Wife.Love the Kids.Live the Day.

2005 R1200RT
    MOA#147877

near Bandera
    DSCN0520.jpg
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait