• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Just Ridin' Pictures

Local ride last weekend.
Just the start of fall color.

f1PcWwK.jpg

Efc3dRw.jpg

hS3igS4.jpg

Ride in August with Son and SIL. M119 Tunnel Of Trees up north of Petosky.
gC6QXPv.jpg

7vH58q1.jpg

izHQsrx.jpg

SIL sold his H-D DynaWhateverSuperSomething, and got a FJR1300ES.
Son Tiger 1050.

After brutal summer heat, Fall in the Big Bend of Texas almost feels like Spring!

Voni
sMiling

Dunno about Texas, but there's more than a few areas in Central and Eastern Oregon, and some in Washington, that look a lot like that . . . .

Twisty roads in creek and river canyons , , , ,

Voni, how much of west Texas looks like that? The scene you posted looks very inviting.

We love living here. Very little of West Texas looks like that. That is the "River Road" - FM 170 along the Rio Grande between Lajitas and Presidio. The land to the left of the river in the photo is Mexico. Generally West Texas north of I-10 is flat, dull, and covered with cows or oil wells. Between I-10 and US90 south of Fort Stockton starts to become hilly. South of Alpine is hillier yet, culminating in the Chisos Mountins in Big Bend National Park.

The stretch of the River Road shown in the photo is in Big Bend Ranch State Park which lies to the west of the National Park. It is rugged terrain and primarily undeveloped except for primitive campsites throughout the park. The section of the Rio Grande that is visible in the photo lies to the west of the river section through the National Park and the lower canyons which is a designated "Wild and Scenic River."

Last edited:
I just did a little digging, it is indeed a small area. I've been to the Midland/Odessa area when I had a son living there and it wasn't near as scenic. As you well know!

Thanks for the info.

Wimberley TX area Blanco River

A4DB0BC1-4E66-42E0-B9A7-CF1C17FC8EFA.jpeg

Still debris from 2015 floods 30’+ in cypress trees

91B6D84D-6822-4BF4-874B-55334F647037.jpeg

2C361D82-CB8F-43DE-A742-DA4F8DC23227.jpeg

Usually a foot of water and slippery with a downhill turn coming other direction... I haven’t crossed in awhile

Wimberley TX area Blanco River

Usually a foot of water and slippery with a downhill turn coming other direction... I haven’t crossed in awhile

It's a pretty road to ride though! I have to admit the bridge being closed caught me off guard the first time.

Texas is pretty flat and boring on the east side, maybe a few rolling hills here and there, it gets more interesting as you go west. The problem with Texas is it is huge and can be hot! Port Arthur to El Paso is 800 miles. That is a trip in it's self! North - south is almost the same. It is a big state.

I have been in Texas a couple times. The last time we rode from Shreve Port to San Antonio in a day, a 110F day! Seven hours in the saddle, a couple more hours trying to cool down. About the same when we left, 110F again. We made it to El Reno, Oklahoma and called it a day. The next day it was 95F and felt wonderful!

Texas is pretty flat and boring on the east side, maybe a few rolling hills here and there, it gets more interesting as you go west. The problem with Texas is it is huge and can be hot! Port Arthur to El Paso is 800 miles. That is a trip in it's self! North - south is almost the same. It is a big state.

I have been in Texas a couple times. The last time we rode from Shreve Port to San Antonio in a day, a 110F day! Seven hours in the saddle, a couple more hours trying to cool down. About the same when we left, 110F again. We made it to El Reno, Oklahoma and called it a day. The next day it was 95F and felt wonderful!

We ride to Texas each spring and spend most of our time in the Hill Country.
Some years we'll spend a couple days in Big Bend.

Texas is pretty flat and boring on the east side, maybe a few rolling hills here and there, it gets more interesting as you go west.

What?

Get off the Interstate and spend a day on Farm-To-Market Roads (typically labeled as FM1234 on a map). There are lots of curvy, hilly roads here on the east side of Texas (know by locals as East Texas).

Just watch for tractors, gravel, deer, hogs, opossums, armadillos, and the occasional stray cows.

Just to name a few.
FM1087
FM343
FM768
FM138
FM227

Also, Love's Lookout on US 69, north of Jacksonville has a great vista. Then you can do the teenager thing and put your motorcycle in neutral as you leave the top of the mountain and see how far you can coast down Lookout Valley Road (Country Road 3908) ;). People have been doing this for generations.

Dry Lake Thomas A. Edison is in the foreground. iPhone 12 Photography is awesome, except for the 90deg correction needed. Sometimes.attachment.jpg

Last edited:
Back