Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Harley-Davidson Electric Motorcycle

Harley-Davidson Electric Motorcycle

I saw this in an email this morning. First ride of the H-D electric: https://www.cyclevolta.com/2020-harl...ic-first-ride/
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key”

I think they are coming ... the electric vehicles will quickly take over the gas powered ones .... and it would just make sense.
    1994 BMW R1100RS (ABS)

Quote Originally Posted by tibork View Post
    I think they are coming ... the electric vehicles will quickly take over the gas powered ones .... and it would just make sense.
    To and from the restaurant, bar, or Dairy Queen yes, maybe. To and from someplace further than 50 miles away - not yet and probably not soon.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    To and from the restaurant, bar, or Dairy Queen yes, maybe. To and from someplace further than 50 miles away - not yet and probably not soon.
    Lots of places around here to plug in and charge up while you visit, eat and shop. There is even a hydrogen 🔥 refill station. I don’t think I have ever seen a hydrogen powered vehicle

As Mr. Zimmerman said “The times they are a changing”.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Lots of places around here to plug in and charge up while you visit, eat and shop. There is even a hydrogen 🔥 refill station. I don’t think I have ever seen a hydrogen powered vehicle

As Mr. Zimmerman said “The times they are a changing”.

OM
    So out of curiosity what are the charge times once I exhaust my 80 or so mile highway range? Actually I would like an electric bike but I am an outlier living 53 miles from town. As of now nobody makes an electric that will get me to town and back, let alone up to British Columbia next month. And $30K or $50K or $70K is more than I would spend even if I could.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

For the guys living way out there the electrics have a long way to go. That said I can see in the very near future that most of us will have at least one electric vehicle and maybe a gasser for those long trips.

My wife drives less than ten miles most days, and rarely leaves the city. An electric would suit her very well. I believe electric vehicles will take over very fast, and sooner than any of us can imagine. There is also talk that many people will not even bother to own vehicle. Companies like Uber and Lyft are going to own fleets of vehicles. If you need to get to work, just request an autonomous electric vehicle to run you to work. Then people comment that everyone goes to work at 8AM, I can see that would take a minor adjustment in scheduling, plus as time goes by I bet we will see more people working from home.

I think many of us are going to be very surprised where this is going. Ten years is a long time as far as technology.

Back in the '80's I remember telling someone that I could see the time where nobody owns a land line and everything is Cellular. He told me it would never happen. Today many people don't have land lines, we have not had one for 20 years.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

...To and from someplace further than 50 miles away - not yet and probably not soon.
    Paul: just looked up the Zero S electric bike, off their website: "...With an aerodynamic riding posture that helps deliver up to 223 miles in the city and 112 miles on the highway, the Zero S offers the highest range in the Zero lineup." https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/. I didn't look too much but in one video the sales guy said $16,000 for the high end model minus 10% government rebate.
    1994 BMW R1100RS (ABS)

Paul: just looked up the Zero S electric bike, off their website: "...With an aerodynamic riding posture that helps deliver up to 223 miles in the city and 112 miles on the highway, the Zero S offers the highest range in the Zero lineup." https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/. I didn't look too much but in one video the sales guy said $16,000 for the high end model minus 10% government rebate.
    Ah gee, I was off by 4 to 6 miles at most. It is 53 miles to town. Add a mile or two to the grocery store and hardware store, so say 55 miles and 53 to get back home on a 75mph two lane state highway. So 108 out of their claimed 112. And where do I put the groceries? Not yet ready for prime time in West Texas.

Ah gee, I was off by 4 to 6 miles at most. It is 53 miles to town. Add a mile or two to the grocery store and hardware store, so say 55 miles and 53 to get back home on a 75mph two lane state highway. So 108 out of their claimed 112. And where do I put the groceries? Not yet ready for prime time in West Texas.
    Battery pack panniers to extend your range, and groceries in the topcase. That will have to tide you over until Gen 2 is shipping, with an onboard compacted-design 50cc gasoline engine driving a 500 watt alternator to handle your range issue. Oh, and the panniers are then free for more groceries.

We can be as creative as we like so long as we’re not the ones tasked with moving ideas into realities. 😉

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

And it's not even the ranges. It's the charging stations. Every year when I go into town there are more and more of them. Now just about every parking building has them. Even fast food restaurants. ... Couple of times a year we drive several hours to visit family, always stopped at this one town for lunch at a Culvers, now the Teslas are also sitting there on the chargers. So don't just look at the ranges but the quickly increasing availability of charging stations.
    1994 BMW R1100RS (ABS)

ZWEI KOLBEN
    Electric bicycles are becoming very, very popular. Around here the Amish are buying tons of them. I think a lot of the electric motorcycles are still going for that "motorcycle feel", but I bet we meet in the middle someplace in the future. If I had a short commute and lived where year round motorcycling were an option I'd probably just buy a small scooter. A sub $5K price point and 100MPG performance would be difficult to beat by an electric in my lifetime......but an electric bicycle could be the answer.

I still say that a big appeal of the Tesla is the ability to recharge at home and forego gas stations. It seems like tons of people abhor gas stations. In Southern CA I have seen companies advertised that come to your house and fill up your car with gas so you do not have to deal with the unwashed masses that frequent those filthy places.

Close to where I live there is a Tesla recharging station. Apparently their onboard technology allows you to hopscotch from station to station. I often fill up at the BP across the street. I'm not certain how long it takes to fill one of those up, but this is in the middle of nowhere. Sure you can walk to a dirty old McDonalds a few hundred yards away, but do Tesla drivers eat McDonalds? Sometimes they are playing Frisbee or walking their dog. Often when it is more than one it is like a Tesla version of a bike night with each of them walking around each other's car in a nodding in a self affirming circle jerk of enlightenment for buying the same product. Sort of a Tesla charging station church to dedicated to Elon Musk.

They do have an "emergency" 110V cable to plug into household current, but I heard of one motor journalist that tried to use it when he purposely got outside their "station grid" taking their kid to camp. With this cable hooked to 110V it took an hour to add each one mile of range. Lol

Bully for Harley. I wish them success. I'm waiting on the day they DO fit my lifestyle, till then I've got two dinosaur juice recyclers just itching to get out on the open road. Installing charge stations at their dealers is a great idea, that one hour re-charge time should allow one plenty of time to shop for more branded products.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Electric Harley! Is this the joke page?

People buy Harleys as bar hopping accessories and for that low rumbling sound. Not the sound of a Makita drill at full tilt. Of course they could run an audio file of a real Harley through the stereo and pretend.

I hate to agree here but ..... I must, because I believe it is inevitable . The green people are amassing numbers, and out numbering us. That gives them clout. And that moves the green vehicles into mainstream ....... jmo
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

If this gives anyone any hope, my wife's PHEV BMW 530EX (plugin hybrid) has adaptive cruise control. After a recent electronic update, it started to recognize motorcycles as vehicles, then slow and brake as it approached them in the same lane. Nonetheless...keep checking your six, OK?
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key”