Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 LastLast

Thread: Just Ridin' Pictures

I have a question for you 'river-rider guys'.... How do you know...what's under you,what's "down there" ? And how do you all keep water out of your intake?.......

OK, that's three questions......

I have never done it so I really do not know.......
    Ron Prior {AMA member ,MOA member}
    Milford,Oh
    2002 KLT
    2004 Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by 71243 View Post
    I have a question for you 'river-rider guys'.... How do you know...what's under you,what's "down there" ? And how do you all keep water out of your intake?.......

OK, that's three questions......

I have never done it so I really do not know.......
    One, you don't really know what's "down there." Most folks pre-walk through any crossing where they can't see the bottom. Even if you can see it, it can be slicker than greased goat snot.

Two, don't drop your bike. If you do, guaranteed to soak your air filter and drown your engine. I've heard of engines where water gets into the crankcase (not sure how, past the rings or through the crankcase breather . . ???) and then you really do need to change the oil, like right now.

Also, the final drive is usually quite hot, and being submerged in water can lead to water being sucked in through that breather.

That's not to mention front wheel bearings in our GS's, or any other wheel bearings, front or rear. Same thing, hot bearings, cold water, usually doesn't make it past the seals but if it does, they'll need attention pretty soon.

OTOH, I've done a few crossings, without any drama. If you get through it without dropping the bike, all's usually good. Guys/gals who do these things regularly take care of their bikes.

Ask George Mangicaro at Beemers Uber Alles in Manassas about what he's seen happen to bikes after water crossings that went awry. (He's the author of the maintenance column in MOA's Owner's News).
    A skittish motor-bike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on earth, because of its logical extension of our faculties, and the hint, the provocation, to excess conferred by its honeyed untiring smoothness. T.E. Lawrence

Lassen Volcanic Park- Northeastern California

Kansas back roads.

IMG_2777

Seeking the 4TH dimension _RockZ_'s Avatar

Just riding on the best roads in USA. Wisconsin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Friend of Bill W. Kiss the Wife.Love the Kids.Live the Day.

2005 R1200RT
    MOA#147877

near Bandera
    DSCN0520.jpg
    Steve Henson

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

[attach]65357
    Washington back country
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2009 R1200GS - 1982 R100RS - 1976 R90/6

IMG_1145.jpg

Guadalupe River,New Braunfels

Hey, she's wearing a BMW jersey
    Steve Henson

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

(Bittersweet) New Years Day Ride

Took a New Year's Day Ride on a 45 degree and sunny day in Salt Lake City, Utah. It was bittersweet for me to be sure. The ride was enjoyable but the bittersweet part is that being a skier and living in "ski country" the mountains are calling to me but we've had the lowest snow totals in decades and it has been unseasonably warm. As a result, skiing conditions are poor for a rare change as much of the western US is high and dry. When my friends in Austin, Texas are sending me snow pics and we're outside in t-shirts something is way off.
    For now, I'm trying to make the best of things and get some over-the-winter riding in. Also working on the bike - installed the crash bars the day before and working on a rack, top case and bar risers this weekend. Oh well.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    After 27 (long) years off I'm back to riding - finally! Just bought a new 2017 F700GS in "Racing Red" - Loving it!

Well, congrats on the riding at least! Our snowpack's OK up here in Washington, though I realize we're the exception. FWIW, we had a fabulous amount of snow last winter, then it melted so fast and things got so dry our fire season was bad too.

Nice looking bike at least, and I sure hope you're able to get that skiing in later this winter!
    A skittish motor-bike with a touch of blood in it is better than all the riding animals on earth, because of its logical extension of our faculties, and the hint, the provocation, to excess conferred by its honeyed untiring smoothness. T.E. Lawrence

Last Day of January Ride in "Ski Country" Salt Lake City

Not much of a winter so far and never pictured riding the bike to work on the last day of January but here I am by my office in downtown Salt Lake City. Newly installed SW Motech Trax Adventure 38L top case. Backrest for case, rear mud guard and bar risers pending. While I'd rather be skiing and playing in the snow, I might as well enjoy the unseasonable weather. Truthfully, it was a nice ride today!
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    After 27 (long) years off I'm back to riding - finally! Just bought a new 2017 F700GS in "Racing Red" - Loving it!

I came down from Boise just to ski today, but yes good riding day as well as ski if you want day