Thread: Free Entry Days at US National Parks

Free Entry Days at US National Parks

There are going to be a few free-entry days to US National Parks in 2017. It's the 100th Anniversary of the NP system, so they've expanded the free days somewhat. Here's a URL for the list (but we've already missed the first one): https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/fee-free-parks.htm

It looks like the BMW MOA Fontana Dam Getaway weekend occurs during one of these. I think that means that the most popular park in the NP system (Great Smoky Mountains) will draw more people to the area of the Fontana Getaway. Yikes!
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

This is good information, but I will add the maybe snarky comment that a substantial portion of our members are, like me, 62 or older, and already have their $10 lifetime "geezer card."

Important note: If you are 62 or older, or soon will be, do not neglect to go spend $10 on the lifetime Access Pass. The price is going up to $80 July 1 of this year.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Got mine last year at Acadia. WooHoo!

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    This is good information, but I will add the maybe snarky comment that a substantial portion of our members are, like me, 62 or older, and already have their $10 lifetime "geezer card."

Important note: If you are 62 or older, or soon will be, do not neglect to go spend $10 on the lifetime Access Pass. The price is going up to $80 July 1 of this year.

I'm not turning 60 or even close to it.
    ROC-ROC

BMW MOA Ambassador
    Knights of the Roundel #333

If you are a disabled VET.........with the ID card and all.......IT'S NOTHING except the price you paid for serving.................Lots of good benefits for VETs if you just look.......God bless these United States........Dennis

If you are 62 or older, or soon will be, do not neglect to go spend $10 on the lifetime Access Pass. The price is going up to $80 July 1 of this year.
    That figures. I don't turn 62 until November.
    It's too bad they charge for each bike.
    Last edited by Lee; 02-14-2017 at 11:33 PM.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Roc-Roc View Post
    I'm not turning 60 or even close to it.
    Young punk
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Wow

Sounds like I need to "lose" mine so I have a spare in case I really do misplace it!

EP

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    It looks like the BMW MOA Fontana Dam Getaway weekend occurs during one of these. I think that means that the most popular park in the NP system (Great Smoky Mountains) will draw more people to the area of the Fontana Getaway. Yikes!
    The "free" days should not greatly affect Great Smoky Mountain NP, it is one of the few parks that does not have an entrance fee.

Why No Entrance Fee?
    The reasons for free entry to the national park date back at least to the 1930s. The land that is today Great Smoky Mountains National Park was once privately owned. The states of Tennessee and North Carolina, as well as local communities, paid to construct Newfound Gap Road (US-441). When the state of Tennessee transferred ownership of Newfound Gap Road to the federal government, it stipulated that "no toll or license fee shall ever be imposed…" to travel the road.

At that time, Newfound Gap Road was one of the major routes crossing the southern Appalachian Mountains. It's likely the state was concerned with maintaining free, easy interstate transportation for its citizens. North Carolina transferred its roads through abandonment, so no restrictions were imposed.

Action by the Tennessee legislature would be required to lift this deed restriction if Great Smoky Mountains National Park ever wished to charge an entrance fee.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT