• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What "type" of rider are you?

I usually ride for smiles not miles. I am content discovering new roads within 50 mi of my home or setting of on a new adventure to visit the left coast. Given a choice, 3 day trips of riding in the NE in warm weather would be mine.
Since I am a believer in ATGATT,I seldom visit the grocery store on my motorcycle.

I use the truck if I need to carry more than the saddlebags can handle or if the weather is really nasty, otherwise I use a motorcycle. The truck gets about 19 mpg highway and the motorcycles between 45 and 80 mpg (R1150R and Honda CB250 which is my wifes bike but is a hoot around town, and the R75/5 is between them). Saving gas and having fun at the same time!
Last year I put a couple thousand more miles on the bikes than I did my truck. Granted, I often hop on a bike just to go ride for the fun of it or head out to a rally sometimes too.
I (usually) AGATT even when going to stores. For a lot of walking I will put the 'Stitch in the bags, or lock them to the bike. When I do wear it in, I might get a few funny looks, but more often thumbs up or some interesting conversation. Don't worry about being outside the mainstream; if you ride, you already are!

I feel that in order to stay sharp, I need to ride regularly, so i commute most days possible to/from work. I to need a good single piece armored suit that is easy on off. This winter snow and a very soft driveway have kept me from riding for over a month 1/2 now. I am sure to be rusty, and I do not like to ride rusty.

I do not have the endurance for a 1000 mile day, nor do I need a certificate. I can ride 500 to 800 miles though and i can enjoy a long day if corner strafing, and sightseeing and riding. Family obligations keep me from going to any long distance rallies.

So what type is that. My type and I am happy with it.

Rod

I owned a motorcycle several years before buying my first car, and I still prefer two wheels for most any traveling when it's practical. There are times when it just makes more sense to use a truck or a car, but any other time, I'll take the bike. Long, medium or short distances make little difference, if it works on a bike, I'll be on a bike ÔÇö either motorized and pedal-powered.

All of the above as well... I just ride.

If I can carry it on the bike, I rarely use my truck. I commuted almost every day before retirement since the weather here allows it. Long trips to explore the country, day trips up to 500 miles regularly or short runs to get to the city limits and local merchants. Any excuse to roll on the throttle works for us. No Ironbutt certificates, but we have "qualified" a few times :laugh

I try to get out each weekend during the season and usually do a 250. Once or twice a year I meet a buddy and we venture over into Arizona or Colorado for a couple of 500 mile days.

I took the RT out for a 50 yesterday (the weather has improved) and it was sure nice to get her out...Done all the PM work on it...now time to reap the benefits. ;)

I'm mostly a commuter, which means I ride every day for weeks at a time when there's no snow or ice here in Minnesota. My commute is only about 30 miles round trip, so I don't necessarily pile on the miles.

I take pleasure weekend rides, usually in the 100 to 150 mile range. I'll also use the 'cycle to run errands.

I've never done any long haul riding nor have I taken any trips over about 400 miles one way. It is something that I'll do eventually, when I choose to use my time more for motorcycle touring as opposed to other real life stuff.

About the only thing I don't do on the bike is snow.
I commute whenever possible. ---Not to get too far off tangent here, but every year I fill out the info for the anonymous book and they have not yet listed 'commuter' under style/type of riding---
I do also enjoy long days and as much dirt as possible. Get me off the highway where the unpaved road is challenging enough to be standing on the pegs and moving around and I can stay comfortable all day.
So that settles it - commuter enduro rider

lite duty

I barely get to ride at all! But boy do I enjoy it! My favorite thing is I always feel like i'm breaking the law! Hard to belive this much fun is legal?45 mph seems to be my favorite speed,Just about anywhere!single bike runs , two up ok too. Lots a work to keep track of other riders. 07 G650X-Country ,lite as a feather goes like the wind.09 :GSA what more can I say.:coffee

Weekend Rider, average around 500 miles/ weekend. Usually ride twisties.

we are not daily commuters or 'nice day for a ride' folks.... for the most part. We like to have a distant goal and plan for it. Could be coast to coast the long way or some nice little ride to the White Mountains in New Hampshire. Maybe over to the Mississippi and down to NO. So far the plan has been a blast!! - Bob

@ mgalison: Not me, I don't have the throttle control skills, or the nerve, for that kind of riding.

...just don't ask me.....

Uh...yeah...great....just don't ask a helicopter crew to risk their cojones to go look for these guys....or to retrieve 'em.......BTDT... from an EMS pilot!!:blush

my little red mule is my only transportation (besides a bicycle) so i fall into both catagories. groceries and long rides.

Back