• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F650 GS newby question

Well, first of all the KBB for that bike is for a retail sale from a dealer that will often clean, fully service, and stand behind the sale. It is actually $6,400 in Olympia, Washington, but the added $400 for the bags is not unreasonable. Now the trade-in value, what you would expect a dealer to buy it for, is only $4,415 (and let's add $300 for the bags). Your reasonable private-party sale is usually somewhere in the middle, around $6,000 in this case.

In my experience, $6,000 would be a decent price for this bike, fair to both the seller and the buyer. You can certainly pay more, and if you really want the bike you should, but I would negotiate with the seller from a position of offering the trade-in and dealer retail values and required maintenance after examining available (and verifiable) service records . That said, I do think $6,800 is quite a premium and would require complete dealer service records (both time and mileage services completed, things like coolant and brake fluid are unfortunately frequently overlooked on low-mileage bikes - see "annual service" requirements here.)

You'll also want to spend some time on the Chain Gang site to get an idea of how to really scrutinize this bike, and use any scratches or other defects in the negotiating process. One bit of advice, many sellers will say a bike has been perfectly maintained but when pressed will not be able to produce receipts. Dealers will always give duplicates to an owner should he or she lose one, so if the seller cannot produce a receipt for claimed service you must assume it has not been done.

Lastly, you mentioned the buyer is out of town. There are a lot of scams flying around Craig's List and their ilk that revolve around your paying for a bike (either to the seller or to an escrow service) and the seller shipping it to you for an inspection period. These are all scams, there is no bike, the escrow service is a guy in an Internet cafe in Lagos, and you will never see your money again. If you cannot meet a seller face-to-face and fully and carefully examine the bike, title and other legal papers, any available documentation, accessories, etc. BEFORE you send ANY money you are in all likelihood being scammed. This turns to definitely being scammed the second the seller mentions wiring money with Western Union or MoneyGram.

Thanks for your very considered reply Ted. I have already hit upon two Bikes that were scams and in both cases they were traveling out of country and I was given the number of an agency who was holding the bike. RUN LIKE THE WIND!!! This one seems legitimate although this is the third week the add has run. I think I have a pretty good idea of what a fair asking price for it should be now. I called both of the near by BMW dealers and asked them what they would sell it for and they both said that they had just sold a 2009 model that was similarly set up and with similar mileage for $6,800. I'm about ready to pass on this one. I guess I'll make an offer on it. At least now I know what to shoot for.

Doug

I would definitely make an offer if the bike and maintenance checks out and it is what you want. Sellers hate low-ballers, no-shows and tire kickers; very few I have ever come across will be taken aback by an honest offer backed up by documented research (aka KBB numbers & maintenance needs/costs with a copy of the BMW Recommended service.) Oh, and cash always helps too :)

Last edited:
My offer was refused. I know he thinks I was trying to low ball him but when two dealers tell me that they just sold bikes in this area that were two years newer for the same price in the same condition I have to think he is the one off the mark. I guess it's worth what ever someone is willing to pay. This is his third week on Craigslist. It's nice enough, someone will probably buy it but not me. On to the next bike. Thanks to you all I feel like I am now going into it with my eyes open.

Mine is an '03 - I just love that Rotax engine - it's really reliable and smooth. The ABS is great. I did a lot of accessories: heated grips, Pellican bags, tank bag, Cee Baileys windshield, Stebel Air Horn, Tailblazer stop light.

Been all over with it too - on road, off road, freeways, secondary roads. This fall took her to the Smokey Mountains and rode Tail of Dragon and lots of paved roads. The big fun was taking it off road and riding several hundred miles on dirt roads - the bike is amazing.

It's light and very manageable. Since this one, I have a K75 and now am restoring an R65LS.

If the bike's been maintained, it's pretty hard to go wrong. Find out when the chain & sprockets were changed - that's something you'll need to do in lieu of the driveshaft maintenance.

A good bike.

I have a 2003 F650GS Dakar and would like to have side luggage, but I don't really want to spend the $1000 plus to get the OEM luggage. I have heard about people using Pelican cases at about $100 each and either making brackets or using brackets from other luggage to fit them to the bike.

Tell me about your Pelican bags. Where did you get them? How much? Did you buy a ready to install kit, or did you piece it together?

Currently I have a Tourmaster Cortech Sport Tail Bag that matches the blue on the Dakar. I leave it on the bike all the time so I have my rain suit with me, but there is very little extra room. For touring, I have a large waterproof duffle (also matching blue) that I use as a seat bag. It gives me a good amount of room for camping gear. Inconvenient getting on and of the bike when the seat bag is attached, but once you are on the bike it is fine; actually makes a pretty good back rest, if I pack my sleeping bag in the right spot.

Anyway, I would really like to move up to side luggage and I have heard a lot of good things about Pelican, so let me know how you got it done.

Panniers

I mounted Pelican 1520 bags using motosport pannier racks and attaching hardware using the instructions from the Chain Gang (www.f650.com) forums on my '03 F650GS. I spent $370 in 2004 for the Pelican bags & locks, motosport racks & mounting hardware and additional stainless bolts and selflocking nuts. I also mounted D-rings on the tops of the bags for my tent and sleeping pad. The racks were purchased direct from Motosport and the bags from Fridged North in Anchorage. I've had no problems with this system from Las Vegas, to Wisconsin, to the Dalton and the Dempster Highways. Just remember to tighten the screws on the "pucs" from time to time.

Attachments

• P5080047.jpg
    P5080047.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 115
I'm still looking. Found a nice looking one in Seattle with 37,000 miles. Is that anything to be concerned about? I know on most other BMW bikes I wouldn't give it a second thought. Otherwise the bike appears to be in good condition.

I'm still looking. Found a nice looking one in Seattle with 37,000 miles. Is that anything to be concerned about? I know on most other BMW bikes I wouldn't give it a second thought. Otherwise the bike appears to be in good condition.

I just bought an '03 F650GS with 40k miles. Overall in very good shape. On it's 3rd set of sprockets and chain. I just replaced the steering head bearings since the steering was noticibly notched in the center. Bearings were slightly over $50 plus the $90 special BMW tool and a 30mm socket. Took about 4 hours including a trip to the store for a 3mm punch. Really straight forward to DIY. Otherwise, local dealers were quoting about $450 for the job. For me, travel there and back twice (drop off and pickup) would have consumed 4 hours for me and wife so DIY saved me considerable time. Easy to follow instructions over at the FAQ on www.f650.com

But what kind of miles can you expect to get out of a 2001 F650GS? Again, I wouldn't give it a second thought if it were an RT as I know that if it is well taken care of, 100,000 is not a problem. Is it similar for these bikes? If the motor has 37,000 miles on it, is in good shape and well cared for am I looking at a relative young motor?

I don't worry about the 37,000 mile motor on my 2001 Dakar, but then again I don't worry about the 93,000 mile motor on my GSPD or the 72,000 miles on mt K either. Maintenance and use are (IMO) more important than mileage.

Some people make a big deal about dealer maintenance records, I don't. But then it would be hypocritical of me to since I've done nearly all my own maintenance for the past 25 years. Do I have every receipt? Hell no, I've got better things to do...

Ok, stepping back from the soapbox....

With the exception of the water pump seals, the F650 is a solid bike. Figure out what price range you are comfortable with, find clean one and start cruising the logging roads in the Olympics.

It doesn't get any easier. A frind who rides an R100GS just told me he is selling it and getting a new Kawasaki KLR650 which he said is on sale now for $4,600 minus dealer prep and any extra goodies. At first I couldn't stand the look of them but check out this one minus the decals and added side cases ...
klr.jpg

I heard about the deals to be had on those KLRs... If I were in the market for another bike I'd be down there with my wallet open.

You're right, they look a lot better without the graphics.

I'm a little late to this thread, but I'd vote for the F650GS. I've got an '03 F650GSLA (Factory lowered), and I've significantly farkled it (Race Tech front suspension, TKC's, HB crash bar, HID lighting (making new mounts for these), dual GPS', self-built switched power panel, LED brake light, Happy Trails Panniers and racks, after market driver pegs, Gerbings connector, tank bag). Most of my mods are documented over on F650.com.

Personally I think the drive train on the F650 is rock solid and ABS is also one of my requirements. Also, factory lowering was a requirement as I have a 29" inseam and touching the ground while riding off pavement is not over-rated. The F650.com site rocks for technical advice and I've met a number of great folks over there. I'm not afraid to hop on my F650 and ride virtually anywhere and any distance.

I do all my own maintenance and am about to do the 18k maintenance including the valve check. I'll also do a few additional things like greasing the swing arm.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to contact me off list. My profile is good.

Timmer

Tim Bowman
Burien, WA
'03 F650GSLA & a few others

If you're thinking of commuting or trips, I feel that it should be pointed out that these get in the area of 55-65 mpg, depending on your riding style. That's what I get on my '07.

Scam?

Maybe someone here has some experience with this. Found a G650GS for a good price, e-mailed the guy and this is what I got in return, seems a little suspiscious. Tried to google the company and got nothing. I'm waiting for another response from him, but not about to send any money.

Any thoughts?

"I'm using a privately-held company called Carlines Ltd. to sell this bike, I left it at their warehouse in Raleigh, NC before leaving to the UK, the title and all paperwork is along with the bike in their possession. they are supervising the entire sale process from payment, shipping with a 14-day return policy, title transfer service or/and (if needed) returns and refunding.
if you want to purchase it, let me know and I will explain you how the company works and how the transaction will be handled.
Thanks"

Maybe someone here has some experience with this. Found a G650GS for a good price, e-mailed the guy and this is what I got in return, seems a little suspiscious. Tried to google the company and got nothing. I'm waiting for another response from him, but not about to send any money.

Any thoughts?

"I'm using a privately-held company called Carlines Ltd. to sell this bike, I left it at their warehouse in Raleigh, NC before leaving to the UK, the title and all paperwork is along with the bike in their possession. they are supervising the entire sale process from payment, shipping with a 14-day return policy, title transfer service or/and (if needed) returns and refunding.
if you want to purchase it, let me know and I will explain you how the company works and how the transaction will be handled.
Thanks"

RUN LIKE THE WIND!!! That is a classic Craigslist scam. I have run into several of them while looking for bikes. It just a way to get money out of you before actually giving you the bike. That's because there is no bike. If it is a real add then you will want to make sure the there is absolutely no doubt in your mind what so ever that it is a legitimate deal but my BS meeter is topping out at a 10.0 on that one. I'd want to talk to the guy's mother and actually see the bike and title before turning over any money.

But that's just me.

Tell me about your Pelican bags. Where did you get them? How much? Did you buy a ready to install kit, or did you piece it together?

Currently I have a Tourmaster Cortech Sport Tail Bag that matches the blue on the Dakar. I leave it on the bike all the time so I have my rain suit with me, but there is very little extra room. For touring, I have a large waterproof duffle (also matching blue) that I use as a seat bag. It gives me a good amount of room for camping gear. Inconvenient getting on and of the bike when the seat bag is attached, but once you are on the bike it is fine; actually makes a pretty good back rest, if I pack my sleeping bag in the right spot.

Anyway, I would really like to move up to side luggage and I have heard a lot of good things about Pelican, so let me know how you got it done.[/QUOTE]

Have you checked out Happy Trails Panniers. I just got a set for right around $475 with mounting hardware. I will be mounting them to my existing racks. They look pretty decent. I lined them with indoor outdoor carpeting and it improved the feel tremendously and quiets that tin can sound. I helped my friend install his Tourtech cans and I only found them slightly better than the Happy Trails that are half the price. Mostly it was the refined details of the TourTechs that put them ahead of the HTs. The HTs are very functional and have that Jeep, out doorsy look which is why I got them in the first place.

Have you checked out Happy Trails Panniers. I just got a set for right around $475 with mounting hardware. I will be mounting them to my existing racks. They look pretty decent. I lined them with indoor outdoor carpeting and it improved the feel tremendously and quiets that tin can sound. I helped my friend install his Tourtech cans and I only found them slightly better than the Happy Trails that are half the price. Mostly it was the refined details of the TourTechs that put them ahead of the HTs. The HTs are very functional and have that Jeep, out doorsy look which is why I got them in the first place.

I ended up getting an unusual opportunity on new BMW OEM side cases. I like the way they fit and look on the bike. Like the way they expand. The aluminum skin seems fragile, though. Some of the other BMW cases have optional rubber bumpers that stick on the cases to protect them if you lay the bike down and these cases really need something like that. Best part is when you take them off the bike, the brackets that remain on the bike are hardly noticeable.

Classic 650GS vs Dakar

Am starting to think the Dakar model might be worth looking at while hunting for a classic 650GS

I've gone through the FAQ regarding the Dakar vs the classic while searching for a 650GS, but am wondering about a few things that some of you may have thoughts or experience with.

*Seems many of the Dakar models I've seen are a bit cheaper than the comparable year and mileage of the classic.
*Is the Dakar that much taller than the classic?
*Do they get the same gas mileage?
*Any other noteworthy differences?

Any and all thoughts about the difference between the two would be apprceciated.

Thanks
Mark

Back