• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Jump Start & Charge from a Portable 12v Battery?

1. store my R1100S in an underground garage with no electricity and try to ride once a month in the winter.
2. keep a portable 12v battery with both clips and a cigarette lighter cord that fits into the accessory socket I had installed when I purchased the bike (Clips useless on this bike because battery is buried way inside bike).
3. do NOT want to fry the electrics on this bike that has reliably carried me 50,000 miles since purchase, and closest dealer is an hour away.
Q1. if battery looses enough juice so bike won't start, may I jump it from the portable, through the accessory receptacle with damaging bike?
Q2. Will leaving the portable plugged into bike for a few hours a week help charge the battery?
Q3. What is the approx. life of a stock BMW battery for this bike (on second one, first lasted 3 years).

Q1. if battery looses enough juice so bike won't start, may I jump it from the portable, through the accessory receptacle with damaging bike?
No, That circuit is fused with a 7Amp fuse and it will blow if you attempt to jump start the bike using that circuit.
Q2. Will leaving the portable plugged into bike for a few hours a week help charge the battery?Possibly but only if that 'spare' battery is fully charged and you do NOT attempt to start the engine while it's connected. The two batteries will equalize.
Q3. What is the approx. life of a stock BMW battery for this bike (on second one, first lasted 3 years)
One to three years is all I've ever got from a BMW battery. I would not buy another. .

Mick

Like Mick said, don't try to start it with power on the accessory outlet.

Here's a charging option though.
Best if your car is parked beside the bike but would also work with the portable battery if it's big enough.

Car battery >>> 100W inverter >>> Battery tender >>> Accessory outlet

Leave it on overnight every other week.

As a bonus, it might point out a deficiency in your car battery. :D

The safest place to jump start it is at the starter+ terminal and the starter body mounting bolt- with suitable sized alligator clips. Be extra careful.

The safest place to jump start it is at the starter+ terminal and the starter body mounting bolt- with suitable sized alligator clips. Be extra careful.

Yup, I have done it that way several times. Easy access on the GS. On the RT you can do it pulling the seat and using a screwdriver to reach the positive post.

Best way is to get the jump start post adapter and add it to your starter cover.

Jim :brow

Yup, I have done it that way several times. Easy access on the GS. On the RT you can do it pulling the seat and using a screwdriver to reach the positive post.

Best way is to get the jump start post adapter and add it to your starter cover.

Jim :brow

For those willing to spend the $ & time - you bet!

Back